U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2012, 10:15 AM

1 posts, read 1,108 times

Advertisements

I will try to not be redundant as I have gone through the prior posts regarding relocation to the Naples area.

I am in my 30's, professional and have a job oppotunity in naples. The cost of living is not an issue. I probably wouldn't have even hestitated at taking the job and moving until I came across some of the negative posts for living in naples if you are less than 55 years of age. with that being said, I then wiki'd the percentage of people 30-45 years old living there and it's around 15% , substantially less than other cities, which again probably wouldn't have bothered me except for stumbling onto the negative posts.

About me, young professional, single, no kids. lived all over, Southern cali (cost of living is unacceptable to me for what you get, thus not going back), Brooklyn NY, Caribbean, South carolina, and Ohio......so i have a lot of different experiences. I am not a "clubber,", so a big metro city doesn't interest me.

I a beach bum at heart, snorkel, SCUBA, etc.. Laid back beach town is my thing, but I want to be able to meet people as well and go out for drinks or dinner here and there. So I guess the biggest concern about relocating at this point is the smaller number of people my age with similar interests than say a bigger city like Tampa etc.

Any thoughts? thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2012, 02:33 PM

4,603 posts, read 9,583,971 times
At ~65 and, a RetiredBum, I can't speak to your age group in terms of what Naples area has to offer you...

Beaches are nice, snorkeling is available, (I do it a few times a month and viz is quite variable, and one has to seek out the coves and inlets that are worth the effort, imo), and SCUBA is slim to none:
low viz in much of our gulf area, and even the few dive joints that make the runs out further, are just so-so, imo. Keys, a several hour run from here, are better, and we do dive the east coast of FL every month all winter, with very good viz, fwiw.

Not Jacques Cousteau, but we are both pushing ~500 dives, if that gives you an idea.

All I can offer is the underwater 'take'...others here can opine on your other needs.
GL, mD

Old 04-10-2012, 04:04 PM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
3,807 posts, read 5,928,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motordavid View Post
At ~65 and, a RetiredBum, I can't speak to your age group in terms of what Naples area has to offer you...

Beaches are nice, snorkeling is available, (I do it a few times a month and viz is quite variable, and one has to seek out the coves and inlets that are worth the effort, imo), and SCUBA is slim to none:
low viz in much of our gulf area, and even the few dive joints that make the runs out further, are just so-so, imo. Keys, a several hour run from here, are better, and we do dive the east coast of FL every month all winter, with very good viz, fwiw.

Not Jacques Cousteau, but we are both pushing ~500 dives, if that gives you an idea.

All I can offer is the underwater 'take'...others here can opine on your other needs.
GL, mD
I asked about snorkeling in the Naples area here about a year ago on this forum. You might have answered, but I don't recall receiving much information. As a fellow 60's+ retired bum, I'd love to do some snorkeling locally. I have all the equipment sitting under a bed in Naples. Could you fill me in on the best places and times (of the day/year) to try snorkeling in the Naples area? Unfortunately I won't be back in Collier County until September, but the water should still be warm at that time.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>