U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2012, 10:47 AM

123 posts, read 280,249 times

Advertisements

Can anyone recommend the best places here in the Naples area to buy fruit trees and/or tropical plants? We went to Driftwood and while they have a nice selection....we are wondering if we drove further out of town if we would find a place that is a bit cheaper with a bigger selection? Any suggestions are much appreciated!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2012, 01:35 PM

256 posts, read 695,890 times
Hi

There's lots of nurseries around here but not the selection. Driftwood is pretty good, they've been around a long time.

We've found though, that if you drive over to Krome Avenue on Hwy 41 and go South toward Homestead, you'll find an incredible selection of all kinds of citrus, orchids and other exotic plants at the many many nurseries on that road. The prices are great too. You can spend all day just going from one to the other.

Have Fun

Beth

Old 05-17-2012, 02:05 PM

4,581 posts, read 9,348,827 times
Agree with Beth Mone that there are many; couple others worth trying, imo:
The Wizzard on Pine Ridge
Garden Center, Wizzard Lake Nursery, Naples, Florida, FL
Good stuff, knowledgeable, but sometimes pricey due to location.

Ray's Garden Center:
215 Nursery Lane
Naples FL 34119

It is on the North side of Immokalee Rd near Heritage Bay CC...great selection, and very good prices. It looks 'temporary', but it's been there for years. Worth the drive, imo.

And, a third worth checking out: it is a 'no name' kind of place, (or I can't remember the name), on corner of Orange Blossom Dr and Airport Pulling Rd. It's access is from Orange Blossom, after turning right from AP rd north, onto Orange Blossom. They have acres of stuff...
My 50cts...
GL, mD

Old 05-19-2012, 01:47 PM

123 posts, read 280,249 times
Thanks for the tips.....will check them out for sure!

Old 02-06-2013, 01:56 PM

2,182 posts, read 2,186,148 times
Thanks, also!

What are the most popular home-grown fruit trees there?

Any recommendations for clubs, courses, etc. to meet others and learn how to grow fruits and vegetables in the Naples area?

Is the growing season year-round or there particular months when activity is the best?

Many TIA !

Old 02-07-2013, 01:07 PM

100 posts, read 281,802 times
I'm building a Food Forest out here in Golden Gate Estates. I'm always happy to give free tours and talk your ear off about growing things here I'm no expert but I'm learning a lot just by doing and have found that a lot of the expert conventional wisdom is just plain wrong.

Food Forest Development | The chronicled development of the Chapman Food Forest of Naples, Florida

Just PM me.

Old 02-08-2013, 07:18 AM

68 posts, read 194,140 times
Good Job TheYogi, very impressed with your work, I would love to walk outside to my own yard and pick all the fruits and veg needed for my family. You should be very proud.
This is definitively one of the downsides to living in a gated community, no way I could do this, even on a much smaller scale.

Old 02-08-2013, 07:33 AM

100 posts, read 281,802 times
Thank you for your kind words.

It's sad that we've gotten to the point where laws and covenants actually disallow us from being more ecologically friendly and sustainable.

To add more to the thread, I recently purchased a bunch of low chill stone fruit varieties from Bay Laurel Nursery (they're in California but their shipping prices are good) and have been happy with the quality of the trees. I was able to get low chill cherries, nectarine, almond, and quince. I also have a bunch of apple banana trees available I can trade. They're one of the more cold hardy and delicious banana varieties in my opinion.

Old 02-08-2013, 09:50 AM

112 posts, read 279,274 times
I just ordered my first citrus tree online last month. It's a Myer Lemon Tree. Its already flowering and I've cross-pollenated it so keeping my fingers crossed for lots of lemons.
Good luck.

Old 02-08-2013, 04:38 PM

129 posts, read 220,024 times
I purchased a Meyer lemon at a local nursery in Sarasota last week that is blooming and putting out new growth already.. They are self pollinators, so no need to cross pollinate. The gentleman at the nursery said they are very prolific and will have young fruit, mature fruit and blossoms at the same time on the tree eventually. The smell of the blossoms is so sweet!

Last edited by jean-ji; 02-08-2013 at 04:54 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples