Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 12:19 PM

20 posts, read 42,472 times

Advertisements

OK, I know this is a weird question, but do you ever see any women wearing hijab (Muslim head scarf) in Naples?

We're considering a move there, and I'm wondering how I would be received, especially considering the demographics. Have daymares about a scared wealthy old person shooting me due to Stand Their Ground laws as my dress "threatened" them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2012, 01:26 PM

1,394 posts, read 2,089,243 times
IMHO, you'll probably be treated better than anyone that is visibly under the age of 70!

I can't recall seeing many muslim people around, but I'm not actively looking either. I don't think you'll have any issues here, as Naples is a fairly "cosmopolitan" city, at least by Florida standards.....

Old 06-05-2012, 01:31 PM

340 posts, read 1,046,185 times
I've been here for many years and can't say I have ever seen anyone wearing the muslim garb, except for that shopping cart guy at Costco here. He is something !!

Old 06-05-2012, 05:38 PM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
4,026 posts, read 6,543,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMunch View Post
I've been here for many years and can't say I have ever seen anyone wearing the muslim garb, except for that shopping cart guy at Costco here. He is something !!
Yes, what is the story with that family (if anyone knows). I see the wife and kids walking with him up Airport towards Costco and I see him in his white "Lawrence of Arabia" outfit doing the cart thing..... Part of the scenery in North Naples I guess.

Old 06-06-2012, 11:29 AM

47 posts, read 154,062 times
kasao,

By reading BigMunch's and tmozer's comment about the "Costco guy" will give you somewhat of an idea how Naples residents view people that are "different." I have to say that "Lawrence of Arabia" is a very nice, hard working individual, I have ran into him a few times, he always said hello and greeted my 2 year old daughter with a smile.

To answer your question, you don't really see many women wearing hijab, but knowing how the Naples attitude is (rich, conservative), you may find many people staring. Just my two cents.

Old 06-06-2012, 12:23 PM

Thanks everybody.

Costco guy sounds interesting. LOL

Old 06-06-2012, 01:44 PM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
4,026 posts, read 6,543,117 times
You should not assume anything negative about my comments. I assume the Costco cart guy is dressing to make some sort of statement, but I don't think it is anything to do with religion (since his wife and children do not dress "differently"). I was just curious...... Maybe he finds it a way to put up with the Naples heat and sunshine........

I just came from Costco in NJ. Half the shoppers were wearing dark suits with black hats or the women had long dresses with wigs. I do not see that at the Myrtle Beach or Naples Costco....

Old 06-06-2012, 02:30 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,812,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kasao View Post
OK, I know this is a weird question, but do you ever see any women wearing hijab (Muslim head scarf) in Naples?

We're considering a move there, and I'm wondering how I would be received, especially considering the demographics. Have daymares about a scared wealthy old person shooting me due to Stand Their Ground laws as my dress "threatened" them.
You are more likely to be shot by a friend or relative statistically. You are also more likely to be shot by someone in a commission of a crime than someone using self defense and invoking the SYG law, unless of course you plan on presenting a deadly force threat against a person.

Your stereotype of the "wealthy old person shooting me" is no better than if I stated a stereotype about you, like "you planning on suicide bombing my house?"

Old 06-06-2012, 02:55 PM

10,232 posts, read 6,315,362 times
No, but you will see Haitian women walking under umbrellas, and Mexican men wearing sombreos. BTW, there are quite a lot of Jevovah Witnesses among the Haitian population. So what?

Old 06-06-2012, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
You are more likely to be shot by a friend or relative statistically. You are also more likely to be shot by someone in a commission of a crime than someone using self defense and invoking the SYG law, unless of course you plan on presenting a deadly force threat against a person.

Your stereotype of the "wealthy old person shooting me" is no better than if I stated a stereotype about you, like "you planning on suicide bombing my house?"
Yes, I know the stats on gun fatalities; however, having experienced some rather frightening incidents in other areas of the State pre-Stand Your Ground laws, I have my concerns. It may not seem like a big deal to you, but when you've people threaten you when you're just standing there with your young kids...it does make you rethink things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
View detailed profiles of: