U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2012, 01:29 AM

131 posts, read 361,655 times

Advertisements

When I was 14 I moved to Coral Springs from Long Island, New York and I stayed there for about 7 years. I tried to like it there but I couldn't. There's absolutely nothing that I liked about it except maybe the COL. In the beginning of the year I moved back to NY with my husband and I'm so much happier here, but it's hard to get by. We're considering going back to Florida but now we're thinking of trying other parts of Florida and from what I've seen I think we'd like Naples or Clearwater. If you lived in the Fort Lauderdale area and then moved to Naples, how would you say it compares and what makes it different?

These are the main things I hated about living in Florida, I'm just wondering how they compare to Naples:

-Weather. I love cold weather. I know it's still usually hot anywhere in Florida and I'm not expecting snow, but if it's at least a little bit colder than the east coast that would be great.
-Rude people!! I know there are rude people everywhere you go but I feel like the Ft Lauderdale area has more than I've seen anywhere else. Everyone is so stuck up their asses and they are so unfriendly. I think it has to do with the culture clash.
-Abundance in "ghetto" areas. Yes there are nice areas and I know pretty much everywhere has it's bad areas, but coming from LI there aren't too many of them. I feel so much safer being back in NY and I'd like to keep that safe feeling.

Now I'm not a racist person, but living in the Fort Lauderdale area has made me a little bit racist. I don't mean that I won't go near someone who isn't white. I'm very friendly towards everyone I meet, no matter what their skin color is. However, I've been surrounded by "aww, naww man naww. that aint right, foo!" for my entire time living in the Fort Lauderdale suburbs (Coconut Creek/Coral Springs) and I've seen enough mens boxers while grocery shopping to last me a lifetime. I'm ok with seeing that occasionally because it's nothing I can control, but I'd like to see less than I did in SE Florida. I gotta say, living back on Long Island I haven't seen a single guys boxers while in the street or stores, and I rarely ever hear anyone speak like that either. It's quite refreshing, honestly.

We are both not party people so we don't need to be near lots of nightlife like Miami or Downtown Ft Lauderdale. Typically when we're not working, we spend our time going bowling, going to see a movie, or out to eat if we're not home.

Thanks!

Last edited by breakingpointe516; 07-22-2012 at 01:37 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2012, 11:49 AM

3,211 posts, read 7,058,724 times
Weather-same.

Rude people-I don't think so but many feel Naples is full of rude people.

Ghetto-Naples has some areas but overall is safe. Stay out of WalMart to avoid the boxer issue.

Old 07-22-2012, 12:44 PM

4,561 posts, read 9,263,010 times
Lol! RMD cracked me up with the boxer/WalmartNation line...

My only 2 points to the OP, which are not original, is to carefully survey/find/have a decent paying job(s) before migrating FL.

And, 'cold weather' while relative for the full time FL rez or 'natives', is hard to find except for a few weeks during 'winter season', and possibly for a longer duration in the far northeast and northwest portions of the state.

Old 07-22-2012, 12:57 PM

1,335 posts, read 1,687,521 times
I moved to Naples from LI in '87, moved to Ft Lauderdale at the end of '88, and ended back in Naples in '91 and been here ever since. You couldn't pay me enough to live on the east coast anywhere south of Jupiter or so.

FWIW, I would love to go back to LI, but can't abide by the roughly 25%+ pay cut I'd take moving up there, plus, I'd have to commute like I do now. If I could be based on LI, I would definitely consider moving back.

The summers here are pure hell. No other way to say it.

Rude people are everywhere, but SWFL in general seems to have the market cornered. we have gotten a larger influx of NYers in recent years, which is making it more pleasant . NYers get a bad rap, but most people down here won't hold a door open for you, even if you're right behind them, nor will they even acknowledge you when you hold it for them. Just plain rude.

Driving here is a nightmare, Here, all it takes is 2-3 cars driving like they're in a parade (which is all the time!) and it starts backing up. They drive right next to each other for miles, and then are surprised when they change lanes without signaling/looking and hit the car next to them.

As for the ghetto stuff Naples isn't too bad. Probably better than most cities it's size. There is definitely crime, but
probably better than most, and certainly better than the east coast.

Old 07-23-2012, 05:50 PM

102 posts, read 246,860 times
I'm from Ft Lauderdale originally (born there) & still have family there.

Moved to Naples in 1994 and would definitely never move back to the east coast.

Weather - it's hotter here in Naples. Everytime we drive across the alley, regardless of the time of day, it is 3 degrees hotter over here.

Rudeness - I don't see it here as much as the east coast. East coast is prediminantly NY/NJ mentality as I-95 feeds down to Ft Lauderdale from there. SWFL has I-75 feeding from the midwest, so there is more of a polite midwest mentality here. People tend to settle where the highways bring them!

Ghetto - Not much in the way of that here. I used to work in downtown Ft Lauderdale and was fearful walking to my car when working late. No such issues here.

Old 07-23-2012, 07:45 PM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
3,716 posts, read 5,734,842 times
"East coast is prediminantly NY/NJ mentality". Hmmm..... What exactly does that mean?

Old 07-25-2012, 10:18 PM

340 posts, read 959,583 times
LOL,
Loud, aggresive, combative, pushy, need I go on ??
I think that's what he is getting at.
PS, I am a former New York resident

Old 07-26-2012, 02:16 PM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
3,716 posts, read 5,734,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMunch View Post
LOL,
Loud, aggresive, combative, pushy, need I go on ??
I think that's what he is getting at.
PS, I am a former New York resident
I have lived in NJ all my life and still own a home there. I don't consider myself or any of my Jersey friends and family any of the above. Also I am also retired, 62 and a snowbird. I don't feel I fit most of the character traits of the retired snowbirds (as I see posted) either. In our defense, we contribute more to the areas we spend time in (FL, SC and NJ) than we take!!

Old 07-27-2012, 08:07 AM

340 posts, read 959,583 times
Great people from there, my boating partner that goes boating with me during season is retired and is also from NJ, great man.

Old 11-03-2012, 12:54 PM

4 posts, read 20,926 times
any information on Naples, Ft. Meyers, Florida area? I am a single, senior, Need a furnished rental before buying something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples