U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 06:46 AM

256 posts, read 705,885 times

Advertisements

I hope everyone is beginning to get ready. If you haven't been here for a hurricane before, the newpapers and tv will have lots of information on how to get prepared.

If anyone has any questions this might be a good time to ask.

What tricks do you know to help get ready?

How about the aftermath?

I've learned over the years that the only place for breakfast when there is no power is the Cove Inn. All the FPL people stay there.

Stay safe

Beth
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2012, 07:44 AM

3,781 posts, read 7,336,446 times
lol unless its a cat 3 or more just get some water and "hunker down" . After 27 years of this and only really one or two major hurricanes (non of which were ever worthy of evacuation) it is always hyped more than it should be. The winds it seems will top at out at 90 max its a weak cat 1.. a rain maker.. might loose power some... eh 0-o

Old 08-22-2012, 12:50 PM

1,581 posts, read 3,148,537 times
I do have a question. This is our second hurricane season and the first, last year was non eventful. WHEN do you know you should put up your hurricane shutters? We have a lot of trees around our home, big pines on three sides of us so that is my major concern. I have everything they recommend but don't want to be an idiot putting up shutters if they aren't needed.

Old 08-22-2012, 01:06 PM

It's always easier to put them on before the wind starts to blow. That's usually the day before.

Another good trick is to buy bottled water and freeze it. That will keep you refrigerator cold for a few days and you can drink it.

We were just at home depot. They're running out of gas cans. People are starting to prepare.

Category 1's have a smaller cone of devastating wind but they can still do a lot of damage. We haven't had a storm through here for awhile. I expect there will be lots of power outages from trees. High tide monday morning is arount 9:30 so flooding can also be an issue.

Be safe

Beth

Old 08-22-2012, 03:20 PM

unless you're west of 41 putting up hurricane shutters is a waste of time and effort. This will probably blow through in a day maybe two and will bring rain, some wind probably something like a bad thunderstorm. Flood is usually the issue naples has mostly downtown on the older streets near the mall area and the city. This is a sit back, make some tea get a good magazine and just enjoy the weather storm right now..

Old 08-22-2012, 03:40 PM

4,603 posts, read 9,585,846 times
nphomeowner,
We put ours up just before we migrate north, in late April. Our neighbors like that we do so, as we put them up and no real 'Canes have come through since Wilma!
It's like taking a raincoat/umbrella on a potentially rainy day = one never needs those items.

I painted ours and they blend into the stucco pretty well, most are covered/blocked by trees and plantings, and we have motorized roll downs for the lanai.

Some COAs and HOAs have docs/rules about 'when one can put them up and take them down' time-wise, but my understanding of RE law is that "an owner may protect his domicile from extreme weather..." etc. No one in our SFH HOA has ever beefed at me about putting them up. Nor has the master board, fwiw.

My only opin on 'when' is that it is much easier to put them on 'your time' on a non-rainy, non-50 mph windy day, than in the middle of a strong storm that decided to track across your home area. Do you really care what the neighbors think anyway, when it comes to protecting your place?
GL, mD

Old 08-22-2012, 04:15 PM

We're West of 41 and we'll be buttoned up tight. There's lots of warm water out there for it to strengthen.

Stay Safe

Beth

Old 08-23-2012, 03:19 AM

lol even if it was a cat 2 and I was west of 41 i wouldn't even shutter up. My husbands parents made it though Wilma in Naples Park (as did just about every other person) and that was a cat 3 I believe. I think people need to chill the hell out with these storms they get so hyped up cause they let the news send them into a tizzy over rain.

Old 08-23-2012, 04:31 AM

4,603 posts, read 9,585,846 times
SB, even Cat1 'canes can cause much destruction and cost millions. We cruised through Wilma, but it was lucky...
We have had considerable damage from 'Canes Frances & Ivan, even up here on the mountain at 5,000 ft elevation, in western North Carolina, 8 hours away from any coast.

I appreciate the cavalier attitude, and the media does beat the topic to a pulp, but if a homeowner wants to put up shutters, that is their choice. The econ cost of any storm can be considerable, and all it takes is one flying palm trunk or large sailing frond to unmake your day...

Last edited by motordavid; 08-23-2012 at 04:47 AM..

Old 08-23-2012, 04:41 AM

1,369 posts, read 2,120,731 times
It`s not a hurricane just yet, but it`s getting organized and heading our way here, in Naples, which I`m not all that happy about. I`ve done tornadoes and earthquakes, the 89 Loma Prieta quake in San Francisco for one, and now it seems I might experience my first hurricane and we may have to evacuate inland come Monday.

Back in April of 2011 the ranch I lived on in Ohatchee Alabama was totally destroyed by an F4 tornado, and a lot of people were killed in the area. Now this crap is coming at me.

Life has not been very nice lately, and I really don`t need this crap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>