U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2012, 08:18 PM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
3,761 posts, read 5,848,890 times

Advertisements

We have had Comcast here in N. Naples since we moved in 2.5 years ago. It is OK. However my wife records a ton of shows on the SA Explorer 8300HD in the bedroom and is very unhappy about the storage space of the unit. Comcast tells me they offer other DVR's with larger hard drives, but that would mean swapping this one out and my wife losing all the shows she has stored and not yet watched. (I know, with war and hunger and poverty, such problems!!)

Anyway doing some research online I discovered and ordered a 1 TB Iomega SATA external hard drive (called "The DVR Extender") that is made to be plug and play with the SA Explorer series of DVR's. However there is some question as to the Comcast software preventing an added external drive from working. I have found online testimonials from Comcast customers (not in SW FL) who say the drive works fine (and you can't say it on the internet if it is not true, right??). However Comcast tech support says it will not work, but I don't think they want you to try.......

Anyway, if you have an Xfinity DVR, which model did they give you and how is the storage space?

If you have any opinion or knowledge as to if my external drive will work when it arrived, please respond.

I will report the results when the drive arrives.......
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2012, 11:26 PM

1,364 posts, read 1,752,306 times
Interesting.... Let us know if it works out!

Old 09-28-2012, 01:52 PM

22,583 posts, read 50,974,789 times
You have to use a box that you get from Comcast. If you buy another box it won't work. Regarding additional storage space, I'm not sure how much mine holds. I have three HDVR boxes. I can store a ton of non-HD shows but HD shows are another matter.

Old 09-29-2012, 08:48 AM

76 posts, read 178,743 times
Hey tmozer We have been battling this general problem for years. I don't have any specific knowledge about your box, but we did the same thing with connecting an external SATA drive to our Tivo when we had Comcast a couple of years ago and it worked fine. We have actually just cancelled our Directv service and are switching to Hulu and an indoor HD antenna. Much cheaper and you don't need the volume of storage since the shows stream rather than having to save them. Just a thought

Old 09-29-2012, 10:13 AM

33 posts, read 58,714 times
AprilButterfly...
Can you tell me a little more about HULU? I just looked it up on the internet and am still a little confused. If I get HuluPlus, can I watch any TV show on my TV screen at any time? Does it work on all TV's? I see you can also do it through Wii , which we have, so I assume then it shows on the TV screen. You mentioned an indoor antenna - is that a must have? This is such a new concept for us to understand so I have many questions. What we are looking for is a way to watch our favotite TV programs. Since many of them are on at the same time, we have to pick and choose. Believe it or not, right now we are recording them on old VCRs and then watching them. But the quality is poor and Comcast has told us that they are going to "scramble the signal" or something so that we can't do that in the future. We have a condo in Naples (seasonal residents) and to say we are dissatisfied with Comcast is an understatement. And since we are in a condo,we can't get any satellite service like we have at our "summer" home. Any help anyone can offer would be GREATLY appreciated!

Old 09-29-2012, 11:31 AM

Hi bokranch!

If you have Hulu Plus, you can watch any show they have in their library. They have all but one show that we watch, and that one is available on a network. This is where the antenna comes in. It is an HD indoor antenna and it allows you to get the HD network channels over the air for free. We use this hooked up to our Tivo and it allows two recordings at once. They have recently come out with a Tivo that will even record four shows at once! You wouldn't have to have an antenna for Hulu, though, it just expands the options so you can have live network channels. We also have a Wii that can access Hulu. If you want Hulu on multiple TVs, you would just need a device for each TV (they can be different for each TV) that supports Hulu. There are a lot of different ones, including Wii, Tivo, Roku, Apple TV, etc. And I am sure this is obvious, but you need high speed internet of some description to use Hulu. If you are watching shows from VCRs now, I am thinking the quality will be a definite improvement

Here is a link to the Hulu page that will let you search to see if they have your shows...

Popular shows | Watch TV online | Free | Hulu

Of course there is also Netflix, which works the same way, but they have a different library of shows and movies.

I hope this helps. Let me know if I wasn't clear about anything

Old 09-29-2012, 01:46 PM

Thanks so much, Aprilbutterfly. The info was very useful. I have a few more questions if you don't mind - this time about TiVo. Right now, we get basic Comcast as part of our HOA fees. At first, I thought of getting a DVR through Comcast, but they don't deduct the price that the condo association is paying for the basic cable from the new package we would have to pay for with the dvr system (and, frankly, it really irks me that they will collect double for the service so I am trying to find a way around giving Comcast any more $). Since we will still have Comcast basic service, can I buy a TiVo and hook it up to record off my Comcast? I asked at hhgregg last year when I bought a new TV and they said "no". But if I'm reading your note correctly, it looks like I COULD do that. If so, that would solve all my problems. Is there anything special I would have to know about hooking up a TiVo, or any recommendations on which one to buy? Thanks again for any help you can give me. We will be heading down to our condo 2 weeks from today - can't wait.

Old 09-29-2012, 02:18 PM

We currently have CenturyLink for our phone and high speed internet at our Naples condo and get our cable TV from Comcast (Comcast is included in our HOA fees). We are thinking of changing to Prism TV through CenturyLink and bundling with our phone and internet. They have a package listed for about $100/month for 6 months (don't know what it goes up to after that) - this would include a "whole-house dvr" which would be an extra charge after the first 3 months. We also use CenturyLink at our "summer" home in Missouri (it's the only phone and very slow speed internet we can get here because we live so far out in the country). We like that with CenturyLink , we can put either of our homes on "vacation mode" while we are at the other home and only pay a fraction of the price at that home. Does anyone have any experience with Prism TV? The good, the bad and the ugly.... Thanks in advance for all your help

Old 09-29-2012, 08:45 PM

In response to the first post, yes, you can hook up a Tivo to your Comcast basic cable and it will work. The problem with using Comcast and Tivos comes when you are trying to get HD or digital channels. Then you need cable cards and none of the technicians knows how to install them correctly. So if you are just trying to record your shows off of basic cable, you would just get one Tivo and one Tivo wireless adapter per TV and you could record two shows at a time on each one. While they are recording, you have to watch either one of the shows that is recording or a previously recorded show. You can also network the Tivos (this is free with the service) through your tivo.com account. This allows the Tivos to "talk" to each other, which basically means you can watch a show recorded on one Tivo on a different Tivo. Pretty handy.

If you are going to go with that, I would buy the Tivo brand Series2 dual tuner units on ebay or craigslist. Just make sure it comes with the remote and ideally, the wireless adapter. The new ones at the Tivo website wouldn't really be worth the expense unless you had HD programming.

All I can say about Prism is that we tried to have it installed but the day they came to our house they said we couldn't get the HD programming here so we cancelled the installation. Maybe someone else will have some insights about it. Good luck!

Old 09-30-2012, 07:15 AM

22,730 posts, read 23,623,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bokranch View Post
Thanks so much, Aprilbutterfly. The info was very useful. I have a few more questions if you don't mind - this time about TiVo. Right now, we get basic Comcast as part of our HOA fees. At first, I thought of getting a DVR through Comcast, but they don't deduct the price that the condo association is paying for the basic cable from the new package we would have to pay for with the dvr system (and, frankly, it really irks me that they will collect double for the service so I am trying to find a way around giving Comcast any more $). Since we will still have Comcast basic service, can I buy a TiVo and hook it up to record off my Comcast? I asked at hhgregg last year when I bought a new TV and they said "no". But if I'm reading your note correctly, it looks like I COULD do that. If so, that would solve all my problems. Is there anything special I would have to know about hooking up a TiVo, or any recommendations on which one to buy? Thanks again for any help you can give me. We will be heading down to our condo 2 weeks from today - can't wait.
Although I am not familiar with the dvr set up, are you sure your basic charges won't be deducted from your overall charge?
We upgrade beyond basic and the charge includes a credit for what the association pays.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples