Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2012, 09:52 PM

2 posts, read 4,622 times

Advertisements

I was offered a job in Bonita Springs. I have two teens, one in middle and one in high school.

I've been reading through the posts but can't get a clear picture on why people like one school over another.

I've looked at Barrons Collier, Naples and Gulf Coast. I've looked at the ratings, but I'm looking for opinions of clubs, teachers, etc.

Both my kids have issues one Dyslexia and one ADHD. They are both have IEP's for resource room but at this point that's it. They love Art, Clubs, some sports. They are very hard workers but just get o.k. grades. They really struggle.

How does Choice work what are the chances of getting into the school I choose?

How is Bonita Springs to live? Is there better living in Naples or Fort Myers making a commute worth while?

I'm coming down from next week to look around.
Thank you all for any info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2012, 01:44 PM

3,418 posts, read 7,789,284 times
Bonita is fine overall but like anywhere else there are places to avoid. Housing is more expensive in Naples than Lee County which is Bonita, Estero and Fort Myers. You would have to weigh commute issues with housing costs.

I can only give general information about schools.

If you are coming from the NE or MW you are in for a shock with the schools, especially when it comes to the IEP.

Search the forums here for school information. Start with the Naples and Fort Myers forums and then the general Florida forum.

Where are you moving from?

Old 09-30-2012, 05:49 PM

2 posts, read 4,622 times
I'm coming from NY. I spent a year in Orlando area but my older daughter was in was in privalte school. I won't be able to afford that this time.

I have done some searching and found that the 3 schools I listed looked most promising so I was looking for opinions on them. I like to know the good and bad.

Old 11-06-2012, 06:24 AM

340 posts, read 1,046,366 times
Do all kids have to have some kind of disorder these days?
Does anyone else notice this about the "labeling and diagnosing" of our kids?

Old 11-25-2012, 07:51 PM

68 posts, read 211,224 times
Barron collier is meant to be a very good high school for the academic, and Naples high is meant to be better with sports and music etc, I have a young child with an IEP, just because it has the best grades doesn’t mean it’s gonna be the best school for your children. It’s all a personal preference, each child is different and it’s a hard job to find a suitable school. My children are still too young for high school, but if I had to make the choice now, I would personally go for Naples High. I like that they release that its not all about academics, even though this is an important part of school, children who struggle in this area can still strive in others. I hope everything works out for you and your family, nothing beats a parents instinct when it come to what’s right for her child.
PM me if you need any further info. My wife is very familar with all of the schools strenghs and weaknesses down here. She works in the school system.

Thanks

Old 11-28-2012, 09:05 PM

32 posts, read 62,568 times
I have kids @ Gulf Coast High School - great academics (lots of electives too), athletics, superb band program! We've been very pleased since we heard horror stories about Florida public schools after moving down from Michigan last year. We love the far North Naples area - live 2 miles from the high school.

Old 11-29-2012, 08:23 AM

1,394 posts, read 2,089,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhtamu88 View Post
I have kids @ Gulf Coast High School - great academics (lots of electives too), athletics, superb band program! We've been very pleased since we heard horror stories about Florida public schools after moving down from Michigan last year. We love the far North Naples area - live 2 miles from the high school.

Ditto about GCHS...

My daughter graduated with honors (sophomore at FSU now, doing great!), and my son is thriving there now.

Old 11-30-2012, 12:05 PM

68 posts, read 211,224 times
See, the Naples schools aren't as bad as some would make you think. I have been more than pleased with the schools my children have attented in Naples. Great programs and so far all the teachers I have had the pleasure of meeting have been fantastic. Some people just like bashing Naples.
You could look at greatschools.com and find out what more parents think.

Old 12-28-2012, 03:58 PM

30 posts, read 18,351 times
If I live in Bonita Springs can my teenager go to school in Naples?

Old 12-29-2012, 06:47 AM

3,418 posts, read 7,789,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by umpdog49 View Post
If I live in Bonita Springs can my teenager go to school in Naples?
No, they are different counties and therefore different school districts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples