U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2012, 10:52 PM

485 posts, read 265,506 times

Advertisements

My husband has a job offer in Ft. Myers and we are in the process of deciding if we should accept it or not. For the past 8 years we have been living in Palm Springs, CA - there are things we like and don't like about this area. But my husband's contract will be coming to an end here soon so one of the places we're considering is the offer in Ft. Myers.

This new job will only be for 3 years so we're not looking to buy, just rent. We're open to condo's, houses, town homes...whatever is nice but not too crazy expensive. We prefer newer/nicer areas near shopping/restaurants. We are both working professionals in our 30's, no kids but we have a couple of crazy cats, lol.

I'm concerned about what I'm reading about Ft. Myers, that maybe it might not be the safest area? Or am I totally off on that? I've read good things about Naples but would a drive from Naples to Ft. Myers really be 40 minutes? Is there a quicker way? Are there better areas in between the two cities? What are the differences between all the cities in that area (Ft. Myers, Cape Coral, Estero, Bonita Springs, Naples)?

We're excited to start a new chapter in our lives but we're also really nervous because Florida is so foreign to us so any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2012, 08:59 AM

47 posts, read 146,858 times
Curious,
I've lived in Naples for the past 17 years, I'm 31 and can't wait to leave. It doesn't mean that you won't love it. If you like shopping and dining, this is the place for you, that's ALL THERE IS around here. Almost everything is geared towards retired people and visitors, shopping and dining, and more shopping and dining. You'll also see people with little dogs in strollers, for some odd reason their dogs can't or won't walk :/.

A 40-minute drive from Naples to Ft. Myers is about right, it also depends from where in Naples to where in Ft. Myers, it may take longer. Please keep in mind that between October and May, southwest FL is populated by snowbirds from every state on the map, I think the population doubles and so does your travel, shopping, dining, post office, doing-anything-around-here time.

I think Naples has more crime than what people think, or what is written in papers. We just had a shooting this morning in the East Naples area; there are gangs, burglaries, home invasions, drug dealers, you name it. In comparison to Naples, Ft. Myers (or Lee County) has had over 20 shootings so far this year, but this is out of the norm. I think the major differences between Naples and Ft. Myers are the median age of residents (lower in Ft. Myers), cost of living (lower in Ft. Myers), pampering of the streets (Naples is nicer - remember, we cater to the rich, everything has to be spotless and fake). Ft. Myers may also offer more of a night life, and strip clubs (a no-no in Naples).

You may find a nice place to live between Naples and Ft. Myers, Estero is nice, you may also consider Bonita Springs, both are in Lee county. I must warn you, not very many landlords allow pets in their rentals, I find that ridiculous, but those that allow them are out there.

I'm glad that you aren't planning on buying anything, rent and see how you like it. Good Luck!!!

Old 10-21-2012, 08:11 AM

3,223 posts, read 7,098,585 times
Cleo has good advice.

What part of Fort Myers? You must factor commute issues into your decision.

The differences between the places would take forever but I'll give you my rough take:

-Fort Myers. The city and unincorporated areas are sort of one metro area. Living standards go from extreme wealth to ghetto with a lot of middle class-ish. It is more middle class than Naples. Wide variety of housing options and generally more affordable than Naples.

-Cape Coral. Huge area that is spread out and hit hard with the housing crash. Very affordable right now. Long commute to Naples depending on your start and end points. I'd think twice about a daily commute from Cape Coral since you have other options.

-Estero. Almost all gated communities that were built during the boom. No bad areas.

-Bonita. Varies widely from wealthy gated communities to middle class areas to migrant housing. Some of the non gated areas are sketchy, so you have to be careful here.

I would post in the Fort Myers forum.

Old 10-29-2012, 10:50 AM

2 posts, read 8,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curious.In.California View Post
My husband has a job offer in Ft. Myers and we are in the process of deciding if we should accept it or not. For the past 8 years we have been living in Palm Springs, CA - there are things we like and don't like about this area. But my husband's contract will be coming to an end here soon so one of the places we're considering is the offer in Ft. Myers.

This new job will only be for 3 years so we're not looking to buy, just rent. We're open to condo's, houses, town homes...whatever is nice but not too crazy expensive. We prefer newer/nicer areas near shopping/restaurants. We are both working professionals in our 30's, no kids but we have a couple of crazy cats, lol.

I'm concerned about what I'm reading about Ft. Myers, that maybe it might not be the safest area? Or am I totally off on that? I've read good things about Naples but would a drive from Naples to Ft. Myers really be 40 minutes? Is there a quicker way? Are there better areas in between the two cities? What are the differences between all the cities in that area (Ft. Myers, Cape Coral, Estero, Bonita Springs, Naples)?

We're excited to start a new chapter in our lives but we're also really nervous because Florida is so foreign to us so any advice would be greatly appreciated.
So you are really moving from one small town snowbird/retirement destination to another which is actually more of a retirement meca than where you are now, always on the list of "best places to retire". Thats great for anyone who is looking to retire or want a second home, but what does that mean for you as a young couple? These retirement destinations are not healthy for young people because they all have bad economies, no opportunity, stagnant growth, not much entertainment, not "enough" of a young population or families, all service industy and they will always be that way. if you came here you would be downgrading. I don't think it's a good decision, you are both way too young to flourish in this area, I would stay in cali and find a way to make it work, maybe move to a more metropolitan area or something. I'm 27 and can't wait to leave either.. 3 years is a long time regardless

Old 11-24-2012, 01:38 PM

68 posts, read 194,052 times
Well, as a young 40 yr old and happily married to my active 35yr old wife, i can definitely say, Naples is NOT just for the old. There's plenty to do here and enjoy life. I've lived in London and Los Angeles, and travel often. So its fair to say I know a thing or two about good locations. Naples is a fine place to live. Of course there are always going to be the haters out there. But from my experience, most people that come to visit, end up buying because of its pristine low cost living.

I love California too, but definitely feel safer in Naples than anywhere in CA. Good luck. Stay towards Naples, rather than FM. Safer, cleaner, more relaxing and enjoyable.

Old 03-01-2013, 03:17 PM

3 posts, read 6,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curious.In.California View Post

Yes Naples is about 40 minutes from Fort Myers....You would probably like Naples for about 3 years then get sick of it at your age. I have a son and daughter that would never move here because it is boring for them...but you both seem pretty intelligent....so take a chance....if it is only 3 years why not do it. I am in my late 50's and would of loved the opportunity to live in Cali and Florida...you really have nothing to lose and the adventure makes your life fuller....good luck

Old 03-30-2013, 08:20 PM

485 posts, read 265,506 times
I just wanted to thank everyone for your helpful tips and advice.

Just a quick update on what we decided...after careful consideration and many sleepless nights, we ended up accepting an offer in San Diego. Us staying in Cali made the move VERY simple and we are near family and friends now. I think we just had to be patient for the right opportunity to come our way.

Thanks again for your help and Happy Easter.

Old 03-30-2013, 08:49 PM

3,223 posts, read 7,098,585 times
Thanks for the update.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples