Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2012, 03:38 AM

100 posts, read 301,897 times

Advertisements

I'm curious how each of you feel about the aerial mosquito spraying that goes on in Naples?

On one hand, the mosquitoes are ever-so annoying and spraying certainly reduces their populations.

On the other hand, we're spraying ourselves with a neurotoxin that can lead to a variety of negative health and environmental effects.

I personally can't stand it. I absolutely HATE the fact that I cannot be an organic farmer out here in Golden Gate Estates because my farm is sprayed with pesticide. You know all that, "local organic" food you're buying at your farmers market? Ask them how it is organic considering it is being sprayed by organophosphate pesticides from the air for mosquitoes and watch them stare blankly back at you.

A little reading for all of you: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Organop...ate_pesticides
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2012, 04:05 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,092,566 times
Sounds crazy to me, crop dusting for mosquitoes and by default everything else as well, but i'm sure the stuff they use is safe and they are trying to eliminate West Nile virus..
Just one of those things you find out about Florida after you've already moved there, theres lots of bugs and a lot of pesticide is used to control them.

Old 10-19-2012, 10:57 AM

1,394 posts, read 2,075,094 times
I am definitely a fan of the spraying. Without it, this place would be even more uninhabitable for 9 months of the year.

It was far cooler when they used the DC3s though. The little Shorts turboprops they use now lack the panache of the oldies.

Old 10-19-2012, 02:08 PM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
4,025 posts, read 6,519,961 times
As a kid we use to run up the street playing in the fog the DDT sprayers use to produce in the summer. Visiting the farm my mother had grown up on my favorite thing was riding on top of the spray truck as it sprayed the orchards. Nothing they are spraying now is going to take affect soon enough to kill me I believe.

Old 10-21-2012, 08:21 AM

3,417 posts, read 7,762,419 times
I'm all for it.

I remember a few years ago a woman moved to Marco. She formed a "committee" to end the spraying. She received press coverage. Her movement was quickly over run by existing residents who know what life is like without the spraying. They didn't like a newcomer moving in and telling them what to do.

The boundaries that they spray in have to be expanded once in a while to match new growth. This must go to a vote and it always passes.

Old 10-21-2012, 10:44 AM

1,394 posts, read 2,075,094 times
Years ago, my friend's dad had a place down in Everglades City. We used to go down there to fish all the time. The aerial spraying wasn't done there back then (not sure if it nowadays) and the mosquitoes were BRUTAL. They had trucks that would run up and down the streets at night spraying, but I can't imagine that helped at all! You couldn't make it from the car to the house without a dozen bites, while breathing them in. We'd bathe in Deet to the point where it would burn the skin, and it barely helped.

Absolutely horrendous.......

Old 10-21-2012, 10:59 AM

What chemical are they actually spraying to combat the Mosquito problem?

Old 10-21-2012, 11:28 AM

A bit of checking and it appears they are using .
malathion, Dibrom, Baytex, or pyrethroids. Evidently perfectly safe, they say
http://www.coj.net/departments/neigh...questions.aspx

Old 10-28-2012, 10:08 PM

100 posts, read 301,897 times
Of course they say it's safe. Their paycheck depends on as much. Read the wikipedia article on organophosphate pesticides (what they use here in collier county) I linked to in my first post and be sure to read the, "Health Effects" section.

The mosquitoes are indeed brutal and god it's nice going outside in shorts and no shirt and not getting eaten alive. I don't deny how wonderful that is. But we also need to be honest with ourselves about what this stuff is potentially doing to people and the environment. And there shouldn't be a single farm in a mosquito spray zone with an organic certification.

I don't have an answer. I'm not campaigning against it. But I would love for them to switch to pyrethroids from organophosphates.

Old 03-04-2013, 10:33 AM

269 posts, read 665,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheYogi View Post
Of course they say it's safe. Their paycheck depends on as much. Read the wikipedia article on organophosphate pesticides (what they use here in collier county) I linked to in my first post and be sure to read the, "Health Effects" section.

The mosquitoes are indeed brutal and god it's nice going outside in shorts and no shirt and not getting eaten alive. I don't deny how wonderful that is. But we also need to be honest with ourselves about what this stuff is potentially doing to people and the environment. And there shouldn't be a single farm in a mosquito spray zone with an organic certification.

I don't have an answer. I'm not campaigning against it. But I would love for them to switch to pyrethroids from organophosphates.
Too many unanswered questions. Yes, it is strange that no one really talks about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples