Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2007, 02:41 PM
lee lee started this thread

91 posts, read 385,178 times

Advertisements

Hi Guys,

Just wondering if anyone could give me some feedback on Maplewood?

We will be moving to Naples in around 18 months and when we were on vacation in September checked out Crossfield Circle and Stanhope Circle
and we really liked the layout and the people there seemed really friendly too.

I've checked some prices on line and they seem to range from $275k to $399k
and I was wondering why some of the single family homes varied so much in price for basically the same home?

Can anyone advise us what would be a fair price to pay because we will be coming from England so they all look like good value to us, but we dont want to buy on an impulse and make a mistake.

We would like a pool so is it prudent to pay extra for a home with one or are you better off putting in your own?

Also are there any issues with airport noise in this area?

Any feedback will be very much appreciated.

Lee

Last edited by lee; 10-14-2007 at 02:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2008, 07:15 AM

2 posts, read 10,635 times
Default Look elsewhere

Hey, I used to live there and it really sucks. Do youself a favor and choose a nicer community like Pebblebrook or Wilshire Lakes. Maplewood homes are old and not worth more than about $100,000 or so and the association sucks too.

Old 02-29-2008, 08:07 PM

1,217 posts, read 2,834,532 times
If flippodd (who i don't know) says the association sucks you should listen. The homeowners association that governs your home will make or break your happiness.
There are good ones and bad ones. The bad ones harrass owners about every little thing and can actually reduce home values.

Pool question: I have been told by realtors (we just bought a new home with pool) that having a pool does not increase the asking price when selling because some people don't want them. We got a beautiful pool that they paid at least $50 thou for and I doubt it added any cost to our purchase price.

So the answer is buy the home with pool already in. Otherwise you'll pay for the pool and not get it back when you sell.

Old 03-03-2008, 04:48 PM
lee lee started this thread

91 posts, read 385,178 times
Thanks for the replies guys.

I must admit this is why we dont want to rush into buying a property because
most of the communities look beautiful but really you need personal recommendations to find the best ones.

By the way is there any way that you can check out what the homeowners association is like prior to buying or is it just down to the luck of the draw?

Thanks again for the help

Lee

Old 03-03-2008, 05:03 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,912,465 times
Often times if you Google the name of the community you can come up with conversations, such as this where people have posted their opinions.

imagardner: We usually add on around $25,000 for a pool, sometimes more if it's really nice one. I'm not sure how much an official appraiser adds on for a pool. Don't know why a Realtor would say they add no value. That may be true in Maine or Alaska but not in Florida. Most people that I show around are concerned about price, area, square footage then if it has a pool or not. Usually it's an added bonus if it has a pool and many people are willing to pay more for a pool.

Old 11-01-2008, 08:36 AM

1 posts, read 5,917 times
Default Maplewood, Naples, FL

As usual, people get on these forums and in just a few keystrokes are able to "bash" people, places, and things. I currently serve on the Board of Directors of Maplewood in Naples, FL and want to contradict the awful, negatives things that have been written about our wonderful neighborhood of just 217 homes and attached villas. As with most homes in FL, we have seen prices decrease over the past couple of years, which makes us a prime target for people looking for a either a vacation or permanent home to purchase in Maplewood. One reason for the disparity in home prices here can be attributed to three different things--some homes are attached villas, some homes have pools, and some homes are on lakes. I urge you to not base your decision on what you read online. Rather, consult one of our many qualified realtors in Naples to learn the truth about our many beautiful neighborhoods.

Old 11-01-2008, 10:45 AM

5,643 posts, read 9,654,155 times
We didn't want a house with a pool. In fact, we quashed one deal mostly because it DID have a pool. The agent and the owners thought we were crazy, but we didn't want to have to spend money on something we were never going to use.

We actually bought something in the same development without a pool for less money, but was a bigger, newer house, with water and golf views.

Was just the pool worth almost $100,000 more than the other house? No way.

PS. I live in a development in the area of Maplewood. We paid $285,000 for our house. Our house was built in 2001.

Old 11-02-2008, 04:28 AM

1,217 posts, read 2,834,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by salltiff View Post
As usual, people get on these forums and in just a few keystrokes are able to "bash" people, places, and things. I currently serve on the Board of Directors of Maplewood in Naples, FL and want to contradict the awful, negatives things that have been written about our wonderful neighborhood of just 217 homes and attached villas.... Rather, consult one of our many qualified realtors in Naples to learn the truth about our many beautiful neighborhoods.
This I know to be true: No realtor, in Naples or elsewhere, will tell you anything negative and chance losing a sale.
When we wanted to move out of our disharmonious Naples community (not in Maplewood) we looked around at other Naples communities. They ALL look nice, on the outside. We did a little calling and talking, to owners and/or management companies. What we heard convinced us to never live in another HOA.

It's not "bashing" for the poster to tell the truth as they know it. It may not be your "truth" but that doesn't make him/her wrong.
That was one of the biggest problems we encountered, lack of respect for other peoples rights. It was "Our way or the highway". So we left. Life is too short to live under dictators.

P.S. I LOVE these forums where people are free to state their opinions. I have learned a lot. I don't believe everything but it opens my eyes to what other people are thinking. And then amazingly I form my own opinion

BTW Homeowners associations are much more unregulated under Florida law than condos. There are many many enforceable condo regulations but not so for homeowners. And the state of Florida has no office to make complaints to. They know what a bag of dynamite that would be. They leave it to the lawyers and courts to sort it out, at the expense of all the homeowners. Lawyers are always the winners.

Old 01-29-2009, 02:19 PM

2 posts, read 8,767 times
Thanks Imagardener,
The best advice I can give is to spend lots of time researching and comparing the properties for sale on-line and not just pick an area and contact a realtor. Don't be a blind fool and pay alot of money for an average home.
If the asking price for basically the same house in one of these so-called developments like Maplewood varies alot, then some greeder homeowners and realtors are trying to pull a fast one.
Look around!

Old 01-29-2009, 02:32 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,654,155 times
Default Do the legwork yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by janice03 View Post
Thanks Imagardener,
The best advice I can give is to spend lots of time researching and comparing the properties for sale on-line and not just pick an area and contact a realtor. Don't be a blind fool and pay alot of money for an average home.
If the asking price for basically the same house in one of these so-called developments like Maplewood varies alot, then some greeder homeowners and realtors are trying to pull a fast one.
Look around!
Go to see these places in person. Don't let an agent talk you into anything, especially NOW. The buyer is in control. Remember that. If your agent won't accommodate you, find another agent. We must have gone to 20 homes before we decided. That is your perogative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
View detailed profiles of: