Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2015, 06:26 AM

8 posts, read 10,292 times

Advertisements

Hello, a couple of months ago signed a contract for a home at Marbella Isles, and after paying $90k in lot premium and about $200K in upgrades a month later when the lot next to me sold, I found out that it is a mirror image of my home, which makes all windows line up and the homes are only 12Ft apart. I have since been communicating with GL Homes Project Manager to ask them to plant a few shrubbery to create a bit of privacy at least at the windows. I would also like a few shrubbery by the linai but I am more concerned about the windows. GL Homes is refusing to do anything about it, and they keep on telling me that after I close I can do my own planting. My point is that if they do it since there is only 12Ft between the houses they can plant along the middle, instead if I do it I most plant them within my 6Ft.

As anybody had a similar issue with GL Homes and were they helpful? I would appreciate any suggestions or ideas on what my options are, other than doing my own planting or discuss with neighbor to share in the planting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2015, 08:27 AM

1,627 posts, read 1,710,721 times
We built in Rverstone. The policy was you couldn't have 2 of the same homes next to each other, so I'm surprised Marbella Isles let this happen.

You get what you get landscaping wise from GL Homes-they are not going to put in additional landscaping for you or anyone else for that matter.

For what it's worth, our house and most all houses here have the same problem you have. They are too close together and windows line up so you don't have much privacy. It doesn't really matter that they are the same homes mirror imaged. I'm sitting here in my office looking out the window into my neighbors office-entirely different house. Our breakfast nook looks into their bathroom. We solved the issue with window treatment and landscaping.

It cost us about $1,200 to put in trees and plants to take care of the windows and some hedges outside our screened porch to block our view of the neighbors mechanical equipment.

Last edited by movin1; 07-08-2015 at 08:40 AM..

Old 07-08-2015, 01:41 PM

They still have the same rule about not having the same homes next to each other, my home is a Chandon Grande and the other a Chandon, but as you know first level are identical.

Did you put the landscaping in the middle or on your property? Did you have to consider how it would affect the landscapers before planting? Since you planted them are you responsible for the maintenance? We are planning on putting plantation shutters in windows. Fortunately for the bathroom we had already opted for obscured glass. LOL

Old 07-08-2015, 04:54 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,245,044 times
I went the plantation shutters route... if you end up pursuing this feel free to PM for a company I would recommend you avoid.

For landscaping, use the same landscape company that the builder uses. They will probably give you a good deal and then maintain it along with everything else. Plus, if they are OK with it the HOA should not have to approve anything.

Old 07-08-2015, 06:14 PM

4,790 posts, read 10,611,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southbound2016 View Post
...We are planning on putting plantation shutters in windows. ...
On our 2nd winter seasonal house in SW FL, and having done the plantation shutters project in both, I rec'd the composite shutters vs the real wood versions.

They are available in top/bottom independent action, they don't warp or crack, easy to wipe clean, much less expensive, and look fine, imo.

Shop around, as prices vary, but most are US/FL produced in just a few mfg'ng locations...skip the China/India/3rd World crap.
GL, mD

Old 07-09-2015, 04:38 AM

1,627 posts, read 1,710,721 times
You cannot put landscaping on the property line, it has to be on your property and you are responsible for maintaining it. You have to get everything approved by the HOA. We tried to use the same company the HOA uses, they never called us back because they are too busy. I will pm you a contact for the landscaper we used later when I can find it. I will also send you a window treatment place to avoid.

Old 07-09-2015, 05:09 AM

87 posts, read 176,441 times
I just closed on a dubonet grande model in Riverstone last week. I don't think there is a policy of not having the same model right next to you as to the left of me is a dubonet grande. I think the policy is not having 3 in the row of the same house. On the right side of me are two house in a cul de sac that backs into the right side of my house. When I was signing the contract I expressed concerns of these two homes back yard backing into my right side of my house. I only agreed to sign initial contract if GL agreed to plant privacy landscaping for me. They finally agreed but like many of mentioned above it had to be on my side of lot but HOA will maintain them. They ended up planting 15 giant 16ft tall eureka palms. I am happy with end result. Unfortunately with your experience having already signed and picked out options, GL homes is unlikely to accommodate you. My experience with GL homes has been once you sign they are not accommodating at all.

Old 07-09-2015, 03:45 PM

84 posts, read 147,642 times
If its that important to you don't close until they fix it. Also, it was a surprise for you but it won't be for your new neighbor. Maybe they will take care of it.

Old 07-09-2015, 03:45 PM

Thanks to everyone for all the responses. And CH183 very clever move on your part to ask for privacy shrubs before signing the contract. All I am getting now is the runaround. After spending $850k for a house, I think it is a very reasonable request to ask them to plant some shrubs and it is ok to plant them on my side as long as the HOA will maintain them. I am sure that at the end I will be doing my own planting. But just want to go on record with GL that I am not happy. As of now I have been told by the PM that she will consult with a more senior PM to see what can be done about resolving this. I think they are just playing the delay game till at the end one accepts the idea.

Old 07-09-2015, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theSteevo View Post
If its that important to you don't close until they fix it. Also, it was a surprise for you but it won't be for your new neighbor. Maybe they will take care of it.
If this issue was taken care by my neighbor, I think they would have said so. With regard to refuse to close until this is fixed, I have told them that I am considering backing out, and if I do what my obligations would be. The PM response was that they would keep whatever money I have given them. Mind you that so far no foundation has been poured all they have done is file for permits. As someone stated in a prior post, once the contract is signed GL is no longer accommodating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples