Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2013, 06:58 AM

113 posts, read 286,584 times

Advertisements

We are comng to Naples again next week with the serious consideration of moving there, despite all the negative comments

We are in our mid 40's and would like to meet people since we will know almost no one. Where would you suggest we meet people? Are there opportunities to do so?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2013, 07:17 AM

124 posts, read 333,454 times
Naples has many clubs that you can join depending on your interests. Most people who come down here start off knowing no one. A lot of the community have social events we even have a full time social events planner so there are always opportunities to meet new people. Regardless off what some people say. I personally find Naples very friendly, I cant remember the last time I went to the beach and didn't have a conversation with the people sitting around us.
I don't know what your interests are but you can look at the Naples news website under entertainment and see if something locally interest you and go. We have met many good friends on the nature walks and at local shows. It's easy, honestly.

Old 02-27-2013, 08:06 AM

1,394 posts, read 2,090,042 times
We're in our mid/late 40's, but we''ve been here since we were in our early 20s. My wife and I met our friends through hobbies and kids for the most part. Our best friends were both met through our kids when they were little. One couple did home day care for our older both of our kids. The other couple we met through a kid's activity group. Both are like family nowadays and we spend holidays together, go on vacation etc. Our kids are like cousins to theirs....

All of our other friends have been met through hobby related stuff. Mine are all from fishing, old cars, music (I have a now defunct cover band), shooting and RC airplanes. My wife's friends are from work or tennis.

I haven't found Naples in general to be overly "friendly" though. I travel for work, and spend half the week all over the country. I sense a certain passive aggressiveness in a lot of people around here, that I don't get many other places (CA is a notable exception) but maybe that's just a sign of the times. It is a very transient place, which I guess makes folks not want to invest in deep friendships.

Being an ex NYer, I am an outgoing person, and will talk to anyone, hold doors open for people etc. It was quite a culture shock when I moved down here and the first time and I said hello to someone in passing. I was looked at like I was an alien. Or, I'd hold a door open for the person behind me, and they'd walk right by like I wasn't even there. They STILL do this most of the time.

In fact, I almost called 911 last week due to chest pains when I held a door for a lady last week at Waterside, and she looked me in the eye and thanked me.

Don't even get me started about the driving or the HOA nonsense down here.

Old 02-27-2013, 09:41 AM

112 posts, read 308,710 times
If you don't have kids it can be difficult to make friends. We both work from home so it's even harder for us. We have become friends with all of our neighbors. Inbox me when you move here and we can meet for coffee. See you have friends already!
Maggie

Old 02-27-2013, 01:06 PM

100 posts, read 302,615 times
Check out meetup.com -- it's a fantastic way to meet people you share interests with.

Old 02-28-2013, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magemom View Post
If you don't have kids it can be difficult to make friends. We both work from home so it's even harder for us. We have become friends with all of our neighbors. Inbox me when you move here and we can meet for coffee. See you have friends already!
Maggie
I will do that!

Old 02-28-2013, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheYogi View Post
Check out meetup.com -- it's a fantastic way to meet people you share interests with.
Thats a really good idea. I am in a meditation group in St Louis that I found out about through meet up and I love it!

Old 02-28-2013, 07:53 PM

38 posts, read 44,841 times
I've been to Naples a number of times and am moving permanently in a couple of months. I'm just curious what single people in their 50s do for fun? Are there many events throughout the year? If so, what are some of the favorite events and when are they? As an example, we have a lot of music festivals, street and art festivals. Are there any of those kinds of events in the Naples area?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
View detailed profiles of: