U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2013, 02:30 PM

22 posts, read 51,480 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

I am trying to do research on the area and would like some input. First, I will say the town names and boundaries are hard to understand. When I go to Naples government website I see the city limits map. I understand that but then what is the town names for area called 'Pelican Bay', 'Vanderbilt Beach', 'Naples Park', etc. 'North Naples' seems to not even be in 'Naples' proper. Thus, trying to figure out the logistics of this area for Real Estate purposes is becoming confusing. Any insight into this would be helpful. I am looking at renting something within a certain area. My radius goes from the beach and stops at 75 and from 'Bonita Beach Rd SE down to Davies Blvd. Basically a big rectangle along the coast. I do not want to look at anything on the East side of 75. That being said, what can be said for the area? Especially in terms of police force numbers and violant crimes. Am I going to be held at gun or knife point pumping gas or find my car gone after going to Whole Foods? Is an alarm system a must in the place I live? I have visited in Febraury, March, May, June and July and from an outsiders prospective it is nice and clean. (Compared to some places I have lived over the years. - It is spotless compared to Memphis - shutter) Yes, I drove in the traffic, it didn't bother me. Trust me, I have seen and driven in worse. I prefer old people to young people. Love going and talking up seniors at a good pub. On my last trip my husband and I had a nice chat with an old guy at 'Naples Pub'. Most negative for young people I see as a positive. Haha, we joke that we are 70 year olds trapped in young bodies. I also understand there are the cranky seniors. I prefer that over an overly friendly person in your face. Having lived in the NY metro area I am accustomed to shopping and not talking to the cashier/clerk. When I am in the Bible Belt I want to strangle them half the time because they are so bubbly in your face - " Bless your heart Mamame, have a blessed day, oh you just eat health now don't you with all your organic food, etc., etc., In my head: "Just shut ^ and ring up my d@m^ groceries. Yeah, going from North to Bible Belt was a culture shock. When I visit Naples the people in service move closer to a normal pace and talk more normal. Love that. Normal being Tristate area and not normal being the Bible Belt. I am just concerned because so many people talk about the crime. We are trying to leave the place we are in now bc it is ranked as the 2nd most violent city by the FBI, only beat out by Detriot and is the Countries fattest city. Hence, we need a change. We will not move without a job offer and right now we are looking all over the Country to leave. We expect to get an offer from a place we interviewed with down there and I want some intel from the locals. That way we can give a timely response. I rather have my ducks in a row than rush to talk to people while they wait for a response. Due diligence overkill. Haha. Anyways, I'm rambling, let me here about the crime.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2013, 02:32 PM

I think I added that animation in the title by accident. That is what you get when you do everything from a smartphone. Haha.

Old 03-06-2013, 02:45 PM

Correction, the place I live now is ranked #5 for violent crimes in cities according to the FBI, the stat I posted was for 2008.

Old 03-06-2013, 02:53 PM

229 posts, read 484,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starletblonde View Post
Correction, the place I live now is ranked #5 for violent crimes in cities according to the FBI, the stat I posted was for 2008.
1. Please use paragraphs in the future (and don't use the smart phone as an excuse, they have the ability to do space properly just like a normal computer).

2. You say you live in a dangerous city but what you have listed as your current city (Lawrenceville, NJ) is not considered dangerous by... anyone.

3. Naples is NOT a dangerous city. Overall, it is very low crime.

Old 03-06-2013, 03:13 PM

I have not updated my profile. Thank you for pointing that out.

My comment referred to the icon. I must have accidentally hit the icon that is by the title. I tend to press things accidentally more on my phone than computer. That has nothing to do with paragraphs. I am sorry I did not use paragraphs. I will use them next time.

Last edited by Starletblonde; 03-06-2013 at 03:29 PM.. Reason: Spelling

Old 03-06-2013, 04:17 PM

Default Updated version of "Overall opinion" due to TriCounty's complaint

Hi Everyone,

I am trying to do research on the Naples area and would like some input. First of all, the town names and boundaries are difficult to understand. For example, I see the city limits map on the Naples government website but I do not understand the town names for the areas called, 'Pelican Bay', 'Vanderbilt Beach', 'Naples Park', etc. 'North Naples' doesn't even seem to be in 'Naples' proper. Thus, trying to figure out the logistics of this area for Real Estate purposes is becoming confusing. Any insight into this would be helpful.

Also, I am looking to rent a home within a particular area. East-to-west, my range goes from the beach and stops at 75 and, north-to-south, from 'Bonita Beach Rd SE' down to 'Davies Blvd', which is basically a big rectangle along the coast (I don't want anything east of 75). Given this range, what can you tell me about these areas? Especially in terms of police force numbers and violent crimes. Am I going to be held at gun or knife point pumping gas or find my car gone after going to Whole Foods? Is a home alarm system a 'must' in these areas?

I have visited Naples in February, March, May, June and July and from an outsider prospective it is nice and clean (compared to some places I have lived over the years - it is spotless compared to Memphis - shutter).

Yes, I drove in the traffic - it didn't bother me. Trust me, I have seen and driven in worse.

I prefer old people to young people. I love going and talking up seniors at a good pub. On my last trip, my husband and I had a nice chat with an elderly man at 'Naples Pub'. Most of the negative comments from younger people in regards to this area are actually positives to me. We joke that we are 70 year olds trapped in young bodies, haha. I also understand that there are cranky senior citizens but I actually prefer them to overly friendly people that are in your face. Having lived in the NY metro area I am accustomed to shopping and not talking to the cashier/clerk. Living in the Bible Belt, I want to strangle the cashiers half the time because they are so bubbly and in your face - " Bless your heart Mamame", "Have a blessed day", "Oh you just eat so healthy now don't you with all your organic food", etc., while in my head I say, "Just shut ^ and ring up my d@m^ groceries!" Yeah, going from the North East to the Bible Belt was definitely a culture shock. When I visit Naples, the people in service move closer to the pace that I am more accustomed to and they are more articulate as well, which I love.

I am just concerned because so many people talk about the crime in south west Florida. My husband and I are trying to leave the place we are living now because it is ranked the 2nd most violent city by the FBI - bested only by Detroit. It is also the country's fattest city. Hence, we need a change.

We might receive a job offer from a business in Naples so I would like some intel from the locals so we can respond to the company in a timely manner. I would rather have my ducks in a row before an offer rather than rush to talk to people while the company waits for our answer. Perhaps it's due diligence overkill but we have a tendency to do such things, haha. Responses will be much appreciated.

Old 03-06-2013, 05:29 PM

229 posts, read 484,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starletblonde View Post
I have not updated my profile. Thank you for pointing that out.

My comment referred to the icon. I must have accidentally hit the icon that is by the title. I tend to press things accidentally more on my phone than computer. That has nothing to do with paragraphs. I am sorry I did not use paragraphs. I will use them next time.
No problem. But yes, Naples is a very safe area on a national level. If you were to live in the city of Naples I don't think you'd have issues with crime. It's safe and clean with no violence problems or the crime-related issues you'd find in major cities.

Old 03-06-2013, 06:48 PM

112 posts, read 282,810 times
We moved here from Plainsboro NJ which is the next town up from Lawrenceville NJ.
The area you are interested in is huge and I wouldn't begin to comment. But I can tell you I started with a similar area range and narrowed down to the beach to 41 and Immokalee down to olde naples. I love living on the beach side of 41. Price was a consideration but I was willing to give up a lot for location.
Figure out what you absolutely have to have (2 car garage? Four bedrooms? Pool?) and what you know you don't want (congested intersection at the end of your steet? pool?) and go from there.
Good luck.

Old 03-08-2013, 09:26 AM

3,239 posts, read 7,156,625 times
I am not sure if you have a question about the city limits or not so here goes...Pelican Bay etc. are not in the city limits of Naples. The entire Naples area uses a Naples address well outside the actual city limits until you get to Immokalee, Marco Island (a city) and Everglades City (another city). There are pockets of exceptions like Bonita Shores but for the most part it is all referred to as Naples.

You will not have a crime problem in the rectangle you described except in small pockets that will be easy to avoid.

There are more older folk west than east so you are good there.

What is your housing budget? The further west the more expensive.

Old 03-08-2013, 10:08 AM

How is the Naples Park area? We are looking to rent the first year so we can get to know the area better. Our price goes up to $2000 per month not including utilities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples