Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 11:41 AM

113 posts, read 286,351 times

Advertisements

My husband took a job in Fort Myers about 4 miles from the airport. We have been looking for houses in Naples for 2 weeks now -- no luck. We are a little picky.

Anyway, REAL ADVICE PLEASE GUYS, is Estero or North Naples "younger" than Naples itself? I have 2 twenty somethings that think they are moving to oldsville. I do kind of understand because we spent a lot of time in Old Naples and the Tin City area and that wasnt their cup of tea.

This is a HUGE decision for us. I cant even find any rentals out there! Based on that, what would you guys suggest? My Realtor has a bit of snobness to her and she says Estero and Bonita Springs are not good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2013, 04:01 PM

112 posts, read 308,485 times
I prefer Naples to Estero and Bonita. But I like Park Shore, Pelican Bay and the Vanderbilt Beach area. I also like so many areas in North Naples. Mercato is evidence that North Naples has enough young people to fill a lot of restaurants, bars and a movie theatre.
Tell me, what are you looking for in terms of location, size etc??

Maggie

Old 03-13-2013, 04:17 PM

3,848 posts, read 7,957,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magemom View Post
I prefer Naples to Estero and Bonita. But I like Park Shore, Pelican Bay and the Vanderbilt Beach area. I also like so many areas in North Naples. Mercato is evidence that North Naples has enough young people to fill a lot of restaurants, bars and a movie theatre.
Tell me, what are you looking for in terms of location, size etc??

Maggie
Agreed I won't live outside of north naples. More specifics would help us help u

Old 03-13-2013, 07:41 PM

124 posts, read 333,219 times
So Estero and Bonita may not be good for your Realtor, but it's not want she wants. It's what YOU want and what you need. Maybe they don't know their way around Bonita and Estero, so feel more comfortable selling in Naples. North Naples definitely has a younger feel to it that downtown Naples. You can find some great communities in Estero for a lot cheaper than you would pay in Naples.
pm me if you want some more specific information.

Old 03-14-2013, 05:56 AM

Our budget is up to 500K and we want a nice ranch (thats what we call 1 sty homes in the midwest) with a pool and a lakeview. 3-4 bedrooms -- we have looked at 10 homes at least and like the north naples area but want to make sure it isnt too "old" for our kids who are 22 and 24.

We visted tin City and our kids were the only people below 60, well and us. The problem is everything I wnt to do is in N Naples so Im not sure how far Estero is from there and if the community feels the same.

What about South fort Myers -- anyone know anything about that area?

Old 03-14-2013, 07:06 AM

4,787 posts, read 10,601,388 times
No RE maven, so little help on the 'where' issue...
Probably sticking my nose into the situ, but my advice/opins are:
-husband can go to his new employment minus your having a house to move to in the next 20 mins
-unless you have sold your MO house and are up against a time wall, I would rec'd taking your time to find what you need, in any of the areas you area looking. And new listings come up on the for sale jukebox, almost daily.
-I understand the 'what to do with/for the 20 something kids', but are they going to be living with you at the new FL house for years to come? Didn't think so...thus, don't understand the need to make your young adults 'happy' with multi bedrooms and an area full of their peers.

Having been transferred a few times with kids, back in the old days, we found going slowly is preferred over jumping in too quickly, and our kids adapted and thrived, though they were young the first few times and not yet teens the last time.
My 50Cts...
GL, mD

Old 03-14-2013, 07:29 AM

124 posts, read 333,219 times
It's true, If his job is only 4 miles from the airport, North Naples is only a 15-20 minutes drive away, It's not a long commute. If you want to live near the 'YOUNGER' crowd, North Naples is a great place, I would even consider Estero, Like Motordavid said, It's not like your children will be living with you for ever. For $500,000 you should have a great choice and be able to get all your wants and needs. If you were to live in Estero you could even get a better price on a home, there are some great communities all over North Naples and Estero, Ft Myers nightlight would be great for teenagers and if your in Estero, it's not far.

Old 03-14-2013, 08:04 AM

1,394 posts, read 2,087,347 times
I'll add that the commute from NN to anywhere near the airport is a non issue. 30 minutes tops from anywhere along the immokalee rd corridor.

You can't base your opinion of Naples on Tin City, or much of the City of Naples, as once you get a few miles away, it is like a different planet.

I am not that familiar with Estero. There was nothing there when I moved here, and it kind of just appeared as a place people actually live (on my radar at least) overnight. The nice thing about Estero is that you're right between Ft Myers and Naples, so anything you need to do (which isn't much down here ) is not far in either direction.

As for the kids.... I've got 2 teenagers (16 and 19. Both born in Naples) and other than movies, bowling and the beach, there is little to do outside of organized activities (sports, band etc.). They will need their own cars or you'll be relegated to taxi duty 24/7, because everything is 5-20 miles away.

FWIW, my 19 Y.O. is up at FSU, and has NO intention of settling here after college. She hates SWFL with a passion.

Old 03-14-2013, 08:39 AM

Its funny to me when people say their is nothing to do because really what are you wanting to do that you ant do? I wnat to enjoy the weather, go to the beach, walk on the pier, go shelling, swim year yound, go to farmers markets, and take weekend trips to great destinations like Miami, Key West, etc.

In st Louis I can do NONE of that. I can eat, work, and wait for the 3 months of summer to show up so I can boat on the river with my kids IF the river isnt flooded -- I think if some Florida people spend a year in the midwest theyd go running back to Florida with a whole new attitude!!

Old 03-14-2013, 09:04 AM

112 posts, read 308,485 times
OP,
are you looking for gated? Do you want a club house? How close do you want to be to the beach?
Have you considered renting at first so you have time to figure it all out?
I live in Park Shore and love being West of 41. There are a ton of nice communities that you may have missed in North Naples if you've only looked at ten houses. It took me 10 months and 100 houses to find what I wanted.
Have you gone to naplesarea.com. You can put in all of your search criteria--yes, even lake view and a list of houses come up that meet your criteria.
Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples