Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 07:26 PM

45 posts, read 81,464 times

Advertisements

Hello all,
My wife and I are considering making the big move down to FLA with our 3 beagle dogs.
We currently have a doggie door leading to a fenced yard in NJ for them.
I was wondering if doggie doors are common in Florida, or if they might be especially vulnerable
to pests, insects, snakes, and/or other wandering wildlife.
My first choice right now is Marco Island if it makes any difference.
Thanks in advance for your thoughts/experiences.
(Also it occurs to me that it was fairly easy to install here with wood frame construction; might be difficult in a home with cement block and stucco! )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2013, 09:06 AM

112 posts, read 308,630 times
Hi,
I've been in so many houses here and never seen a doggy door yet. I imagine it has something to do with the bug population but I don't know that for a fact.
We moved here from NJ six months ago and we've been leaving the back door opened for the dog when we are home.
Good luck with your move!
Maggie

Old 03-14-2013, 10:16 AM

140 posts, read 288,177 times
There are electronic dog doors and will open as your dog approaches, that might work better so it limits the bugs coming in. Please post where you find "dog friendly" environments to help other dog lovers. My husband and I have been looking for a while and there is often a weight and #of dogs limit. We have three too and can't find dog friendly HOA's.

Old 03-15-2013, 06:34 AM

1,369 posts, read 2,273,769 times
When I was living in Butte County CA I had a pet door for my cats coming in from the garage. One evening all the cats came running out of the kitchen where they had been eating dinner, looking back in alarm. For a moment I couldn't understand what was going on, until a whopping big raccoon came walking out of there and into my living room!

He was remarkably nonchalant about it all, and I yelled at him, "Hey! You can't be in here!" He pretty much ignored me until I threw a shoe at him, and then he grudgingly turned and left, back out the pet door.

On another occasion I saw a bushy black tail going out of the little door, and knowing it was not one of my cats I snatched the door to the garage open, and to my horror it was a SKUNK! Yeeeeowwwww! I slammed that door shut fast and locked the pet door pronto!

So if you can get the electronic pet door I'd really recommend it.

Old 03-15-2013, 06:37 AM

23,172 posts, read 26,189,754 times
If you will also have a good suitable fenced area I can't see why it will be any different than in NJ.
Small animals that can take advantage of a dog door are everywhere.

Old 03-15-2013, 07:20 AM

1,394 posts, read 2,089,243 times
We put our dog door in our pool cage.

We have to open the house door to let them in and out, but have never had any critters in the house, well, other than our 2 golden retrievers.....

Old 03-15-2013, 07:45 AM

4,787 posts, read 11,758,510 times
This could happen too - lol

Gator Crawls Into Home Through Doggie Door - YouTube

Old 03-15-2013, 10:24 AM

Yeah I think the fenced area outside the door is key.
We already have that here in NJ. (actually have 2 layers, an inner kennel with a gate and the outer backyard with pavers around the edge so they don't dig under).
One day our alpha male proudly brought a dead rabbit in the house that he had caught.
They've caught 2-3 squirels and 2 rabbits but that's the first one they decided to show daddy.
Saw that croc/gator in the garage in East Naples and thought, wow.
Thanks for all the replies everyone!

Old 03-19-2013, 05:33 AM

4,696 posts, read 7,892,327 times

Only in Florida 8FT. Gator in Pool 2011.mpg - YouTube

Old 03-30-2013, 04:49 AM

Is it legal to shoot them if they get inside your house or pool or do you always call the trapper? What does the trapper cost?
I've heard of gators in the water holes on golf courses, would they be in the canals in Marco Island also?
Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
View detailed profiles of: