Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2013, 09:29 PM

3 posts, read 9,465 times

Advertisements

I was told that my son has ADHD, ADD, "mood disorder" (when he was 5 they told me he was bipolar and they kept that until February when he was in this residential treatment center. they are just calling it a mood disorder but are not being specific), Reactive attachment disorder, compulsion disorder, and defiance disorder.
they have told me they ruled out autism here at this treatment center but they have done no test or anything to see if there was a possibility of it. he's very smart but withdrawn and a regular classroom is to much stimulus for him they say. he does have a learning disability though. he reads way below reading level (a lot has to do with him not being able to concentrate) he also writes a lot of numbers and letters backwards and guesses when it comes to small words like "the". he's 9. but they are saying he's not dyslectic. that is all they are telling me at this time.
he's diagnoses have been changed a lot over the years. but these are the current ones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2013, 10:14 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,003,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by day8404 View Post
I was told that my son has ADHD, ADD, "mood disorder" (when he was 5 they told me he was bipolar and they kept that until February when he was in this residential treatment center. they are just calling it a mood disorder but are not being specific), Reactive attachment disorder, compulsion disorder, and defiance disorder.
they have told me they ruled out autism here at this treatment center but they have done no test or anything to see if there was a possibility of it. he's very smart but withdrawn and a regular classroom is to much stimulus for him they say. he does have a learning disability though. he reads way below reading level (a lot has to do with him not being able to concentrate) he also writes a lot of numbers and letters backwards and guesses when it comes to small words like "the". he's 9. but they are saying he's not dyslectic. that is all they are telling me at this time.
he's diagnoses have been changed a lot over the years. but these are the current ones.
I don't know enough about this except to say if there is anyway possible to get him somewhere and get him diagnosed so you can at least address what is going on.

I may be wrong but from my limited understanding, I didn't think they could diagnose autism. I thought they could only rule everything else out?

Good luck with this, it must be extremely frustrating.

Old 04-11-2013, 07:25 PM

8 posts, read 14,119 times
Quote:
Those are some extreme diagnoses. I can't imagine how difficult it must be for you and the school staff. I know that in the CCPS system they do have specific units to handle kids with those diagnoses. He would certainly be placed in an "EBD" unit. (emotional/behavior disturbed) If the district you are coming from was small that would explain why they were not able to meet his needs. I believe CCPS has a total of 6 or 7 EBD units with 3-4 of them at the elementary school level.

Old 04-12-2013, 05:44 PM

10,182 posts, read 6,232,116 times
Quote:
I worked until 2011 as a special needs TA in Collier. They have elminated, and mainstreamed, all self-contained classes with the exception of Autism and Severity classes, which your child doesn't seem to quality for. Last I heard, the public school district will not even test a child for special services until they are in 3rd grade, so unless a parents does this on their own, the child will be placed in regular classes.

I know there is David Lawrence (temporary) and Eden (new name?), but that is solely for Autism. I don't know of any other private school in Naples for special needs children. Maybe something in Ft. Myers? Good luck and best wishes for your child.

Edit: I worked in a self-contained class in North Naples. The classroom teacher lived in Bonita Beach. When the talk was around that self-contained classes were going to be eliminated, she started applying to schools in Bonita and Estero, Lee County. In fact, many of the teachers in that North Naples school lived in Bonita Beach. Bonita is a nice, family oriented place, cheaper than Naples, and just over the county line.

Last edited by Jo48; 04-12-2013 at 06:23 PM..

Old 11-13-2014, 12:31 PM

1 posts, read 906 times
I have a friend, a single Mom who has two boys, one 9 and one 11. They are both violent and have had multiple diagnosis. They go to public school for a limited time each day. She is afraid of them and does not have much money. Is there a place where the children can get a proper diagnosis and an appropriate support and placement
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples