Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2011, 08:40 AM

3,848 posts, read 7,959,252 times

Advertisements

So my husband and I haven't been on any kind of vacation in 4 years. Well actually we haven't even left Naples in 4 years , I think we wen to Ft. Myers once 3 years ago. We need a day get away. We looked into Marco but hotels are going for $250 a night, even with govt. discounts and thats just absurd for one night. Anywhere in SWFL we can go for a night to get away from the kiddie and just enjoy ourselves that won't break the bank
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2011, 11:28 AM

205 posts, read 389,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
So my husband and I haven't been on any kind of vacation in 4 years. Well actually we haven't even left Naples in 4 years , I think we wen to Ft. Myers once 3 years ago. We need a day get away. We looked into Marco but hotels are going for $250 a night, even with govt. discounts and thats just absurd for one night. Anywhere in SWFL we can go for a night to get away from the kiddie and just enjoy ourselves that won't break the bank
why not drive up to tampa?

Old 08-11-2011, 11:33 AM

256 posts, read 745,364 times
Try Ft Myers Beach. It's a whole different atmosphere than Naples.

You should find rates from 70 up and that's on the beach. The nicest hotel there is Diamond head, I think they're around 160. The Outrigger and the Holiday Inn are also worth checking as are lots of family owned smaller resorts along the beach. I'm sure there's many to choose from this time of year.

Google Ft Myers Beach accommodations

Have Fun

Beth

Old 08-11-2011, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theeclipsedheart View Post
why not drive up to tampa?
we only have one day to do something and we have dogs and our daughter at a babysitters so we can't even leave till after dinner so we can take care of the dogs and such

Old 08-12-2011, 08:02 AM

79 posts, read 193,053 times
This is a little offbeat but my suggestion is to check out Everglades City and Chokoloskee Island. To get there head east on Tamiami Trail about 40 miles and take a right on SR 29. It is an easy day trip or you can stay at one of the small motels in town. Everglades City is like a snapshot of old Florida with some incredible historic buildings, working waterfronts and fabulous water views, down-home seafood restaurants and a visitor station for Everglades National Park which offers boat trips. Chokoloskee is very quiet but you can see the historic Smallwood General Store where in the old days long before I-75 and US 41 vegetables grown in Immokalee and elsewhere were sailed to market in Key West. If you like to fish there are some great spots along the causeway out to Chokoloskee. On the drive down there you might swing through Collier-Seminole State Park and there is an Indian village / airboat attraction or two. On the down side, when conditions are bad the mosquitoes can be overwhelming early or late in the day or at night. As you can tell, I love the place!

Old 08-12-2011, 04:32 PM

Thanks guys we've got some ideas floating around now! Def never been to everglades city so we might give it a shot

Old 08-13-2011, 10:08 PM

102 posts, read 267,407 times
We did a little weekend in Matlatcha area. It really gives you the feel of "Old Florida." Had a great time checking out all the local artwork and ate some amazing fresh shrimp and fish. Yum! We rented a great little house for the weekend.
Something like this : Matlacha Vacation Rental - VRBO 279693 - 1 BR Pine Island Cottage in FL, Waterfront Cottage (http://www.vrbo.com/279693 - broken link)

Old 08-15-2011, 09:43 AM

79 posts, read 193,053 times
Matlatcha is a good suggestion. There is the strip of funky old houses / restaurants right at the pass and then Pine Island has some wonderful tropical vegetation and Indian Mounds. Going by boat from one of the marinas to Cabbage Key is fabulous.

They are not for everyone but to me the historic settlements in Southwest Florida like Everglades City, Goodland, Matlacha, Captiva, and Boca Grande are absolutely precious. There are more that have been squeezed by development like Caxambas, Old Naples, Old Bonita, Fort Myers Beach, Punta Rasa, Punta Gorda and others.

Old 05-22-2013, 09:44 PM

1 posts, read 2,337 times
How about doing a day trip in your area? There are some great ideas to pick through in this new book Days Out Around Fort Myers by Gillian Birch [url=http://amzn.to/YjAUhU]Amazon.com: days: Books[/url]

You can choose somewhere that appeals, read the description, see photos, learn the admission cost, decide where to eat and get directions all in one guide book. There are gardens, water parks, boardwalks, historic homes, museums, things for kids, things for free and, and, and!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples