Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2013, 11:27 AM

11 posts, read 15,309 times

Advertisements

Beckford, that sounds typical, about an engineer coming to tell you not to worry. But, as I wrote to NBC, who attempted to cover this issue a few days ago, with little investigation of facts, how is an engineer qualified to speak as an expert about health?

"An electrical engineer even vouched for its safety."

He or she is not qualified as a health expert to vouch for safety. He or she has no medical training. An engineer, unless also a doctor or biophysicist, is not qualified or knowledgeable about the effects of microwave radiation on the human body. He or she is only qualified to tell you if an electronic device will work.

The school needs to bring in a health expert in this area to credibly tell the parents this is safe. And I bet they could not find one willing to put it on the line. The FCC will not even say it is safe. FCC Bulletin 56

Sorry, motordavid, I still can't post a url properly--

http://transition.fcc.gov/Bureaus/En...56/oet56e4.pdf

"There are many published reports in the scientific literature concerning possible biological effects resulting from animal or human exposure to RF energy...More recently, other scientific laboratories in North America, Europe and elsewhere
have reported certain biological effects after exposure of animals ("in vivo") and animal tissue ("in vitro") to relatively low levels of RF radiation. These reported effects have included certain changes in the immune system, neurological effects, behavioral effects, evidence for a link between microwave exposure and the action of certain drugs and compounds, a "calcium efflux" effect in brain tissue (exposed under very specific conditions), and effects on DNA....In general, while the possibility of "non-thermal" biological effects may exist, whether or not such effects might indicate a human health hazard is not presently known. Further research is needed to determine the generality of such effects and their possible relevance, if any, to human health. In the meantime..." Yes, why would disrupting the immune system or brain chemistry be harmful? In the meantime, let's experiment on the children; maybe we'll find out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2013, 09:12 AM

549 posts, read 456,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deborah Rubin View Post
For all the shills out there, let's not compare wireless communications radiation to cosmic background radiation, sunlight, etc. Manmade pulse-modulated radiation with an information carrying radiowave does not exist anywhere in nature.
Don't worry, "information carrying radiowave" is perfectly safe as long as this information is Flat Earth Society's BS about harmful cellular communication. I admire your ability to post pages of hysteria backing it with zero scientific data. You are my hero!

Old 09-18-2013, 06:25 AM

544 posts, read 1,439,573 times
Wow...just...wow. I believe that new tower belongs to Sprint, they were just bought out by Softbank who has invested millions of dollars to upgrade their network. I'm glad your cell phone service has never been a problem but ours has (Sprint). If you're worried about your kids health and well-being then you probably ought to lock them up in a closet and never let them see the light of day (radiation). I think the thing that was ludicrous was an obviously overweight woman on the news complaining about a cell tower causing health issues for her kids. Didn't show the kids but when you have overweight parents you have overweight kids...that's much more of a health issue than a cell tower. BTW, just about every 6 - 7 floor building has some kind of antennae on it whether it's a cell phone, or other ones...you go past them all the time but until you've been on the roof of one of those buildings you have no idea what you're being exposed to on a daily basis.

Old 09-27-2013, 07:57 AM

11 posts, read 15,309 times
meekocat, your arguments are not logical.

1] We need sunlight to live; life on this planet has evolved in direct or indirect influence of sunlight. But of course, we must protect ourselves from too much sunlight or suffer the consequences.

2]About your attempting to "weigh" risk factors and health: How can you possibly know if it is more dangerous to be overweight or exposed to a cell tower at school? Regardless of what you may believe, it is not the goal of public health policy to increase one's risk factors for disease. The aim of public health would be to reduce them--to reduce all hazardous conditions wherever possible, especially for children. Rationally, it is not okay to say that an overweight kid or an autistic kid or an asthmatic kid or a kid with cancer, or a healthy kid, or anyone else should be exposed to harmful radiation because they already have another health risk. And people with health risk factors have every right to advocate for their health and the health of their children.

vvega--Show me the hysteria. I only see facts. Perhaps they upset you.

Old 09-29-2013, 01:36 PM

549 posts, read 456,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deborah Rubin View Post
vvega--Show me the hysteria. I only see facts. Perhaps they upset you.
None of your “facts” shows any linkage between cell phones/towers and cancer or any other health risks. At most they end up with something like “more research is needed”. After decades of research, billions of people using cellphone for many years by now, wouldn’t you expect them find something, if it was there? On the other hand, these pseudo-scientists will never admit that there’s no there there, because this would cut their budgets.

But you know what, let’s assume microwaves are harmful and see how a nearby tower affects you as a cellphone user. You are a very cautious user so you use your phone only 1 minute during a 24 hour period, holding it 1 inch from the ear and keeping it turned off at all other times.
Scenario 1: you are 30 feet from the tower.
Scenario 2: you are 1 mile from the tower.
Cellphones automatically decrease and increase their transmission power depending on the distance to the nearest tower. So in scenario 1, the phone will transmit at its lowest level of around 0.5W. In scenario 2, it will have to increase the power to at least 1.5W.
A typical tower transmits at 100W. Radiation impact is proportional to (distance^-3). In scenario 1, the distance in inches is 30*12=360, so it will contribute 100W/(360*360*360). Even if you 30 feet from the antenna all 24 hours (1440 minutes), you’ll “absorb” an equivalent of 1440*100W*(360^-3)=0.003W. So in scenario 1, you total absorption will be 0.5W per minute from the phone + 0.003W from being 24 hours near the antenna. That’s total of 0.503W, which is almost three times less than in scenario 2.

So, if cellular communication is harmful, by not having an antenna in the school, you are actually exposing the students to much more dangerous levels of radiation. Great job!

P.S. You kitchen microwave operates at about 1000W and it’s just a few feet away from your brain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples