Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2013, 06:50 AM

351 posts, read 491,653 times

Advertisements

My hubby is currently working in Naples, and we are probably relocating there by year end. We have a 10th grader - a very social girl - and want to make the move as gentle on her as possible. She is devastated to leave her friends. We are looking for a home on the north side. Could someone share the pros and cons of Barron Collier vs Gulf Coast? She is on her high school dance line and hopes to continue dance.

I am excited to have found this forum! I have already gathered alot of helpful info reading old posts.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2013, 10:39 AM

8 posts, read 12,125 times
Overall there is not much difference between Barron Collier and Gulf Coast High Schools. Both are highly regarded for their academic and extra curricular activities. Both schools have very nice facilities. BCHS is the older of the two being built in 1978 but it as been enlarged and updated through the years. GCHS was built in 1998 and is a state of the art facility. As far as education is concerned they are pretty much equal as BCHS and GCHS are considered the top schools in Collier County for academics and test scores year in and year out.

Both schools have very good marching bands and flag lines. There was a time that I would have told you that BCHS had the better band program overall but while they still have an excellent band I feel that in recent years GCHS band program has moved a bit ahead of BCHS. I am sure there are those who might not agree but it's a matter of preference. Either way you will be fine as both schools are great overall.

Barron Collier attendance zone is the area north of the Pine Ridge Rd (with a few exceptions) north to Immokalee Rd and east to I-75. Gulf Coast students come from the area north of Immokalee Rd to the Lee County line and several areas just to the east of I-75. The link below will show the attendance areas.

http://www.collierschools.com/parents/docs/ZoneMaps.pdf

Old 08-22-2013, 10:51 AM

8 posts, read 12,125 times
As you have probably found out from reading older forums Barron Collier and Gulf Coast High Schools are usually considered the best high schools in Collier County. They return the best testing scores, graduation rates and number of students going on to college year in and year out. There is very little difference between the overall make up of the two schools as far as the make up of the student bodies. Both schools also have excellent band/dance programs and are widely known for their music programs. You can not really go wrong with either school. BCHS has about 1700+ students while GCHS has about 1900+ students. Both are very nice facilities that are well maintained.

Again, you can't really go wrong with either school. Both of my kids attended GCHS and had excellent experiences there.

Attached is link showing the attendance zones for the schools that might assist you in choosing on a location to purchase a house.

http://www.collierschools.com/parents/docs/ZoneMaps.pdf

Old 08-22-2013, 01:15 PM

1,394 posts, read 2,087,806 times
My daughter graduated GCHS in '11 with honors and is currently at FSU, and my son is a junior there now and doing well. No issues at all. Both kids were/are in band (daughter did flagline for a year and then moved to percussion. Son plays trumpet) and both love it.

Our close friends girls all went to or are going to BCHS, and have had the same experiences. You can't go wrong with either.

Old 08-23-2013, 07:21 AM

32 posts, read 62,551 times
LOVE the band/dance program at GCHS - moved my daughter here her sophomore year from Michigan & the band/dance kids were very welcoming!! I would HIGHLY recommend Gulf Coast high school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples