U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2013, 06:49 PM

351 posts, read 415,638 times

Advertisements

My family is moving to Naples late this fall. Since we are coming from the northern midwest, I have lots of warm clothes - wool sweaters, turtlenecks, polar fleece, light wool blazers, etc.

I am trying to decide what to bring / what to donate.

What do women wear November through March? I'm a mom of a teenager and 2 elementary kids. Just turning 50. Do I bring some of my light wool sweaters or is that overkill? What about thick non-wool sweaters? Cotton cardigans? Fleece pjs? Or do I just want short sleeve stuff? Jeans?

I don't mean to sound stupid - I'm just not sure what folks wear once they acclimate to the warmth. I hate to pay to move clothing I will never wear. I'm so accustomed to wearing multiple layers - I'm honestly excited to donate the heavy stuff.

Thank you.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2013, 07:17 PM

3,744 posts, read 7,138,838 times
I've worn tank tops and shorts even up to Christmas. My a/c has been on past Christmas some years,sometimes it doesn't go off that year. Most days you will be in shirt and shorts even in Jan and feb and by march it warms up even more. it could be chilly (60's) in the am but will quickly warm up to 70s all day. Rarely do we have days that consistently stay below 70s for more than a few days. Our winters have been pretty mild, the coldest in 09 where it got into the 50's and 40s... That's not common.

I own a pair of pants and two sweaters, the pull over hoodie ones not a heavy wool of fleece ones. Maybe a pair of sweats for bed but it gets too hot at night. No gloves, scarves, hats, boots. Typical winter wear is a sweater, shorts and flip flops because it'll be warm enough to wear those by 12, the sweater wil be shed after breakfast . I haven't worn sneakers in a fla winter in years, and i only did that time cause i was prego! more than likely youll be buying your Christmas tree in the local home depot parking lot in shorts, lord knows I have many times. In fact you being a northern you'll probably find the gulf warm enough to go in Through Oct and Nov. snowbirds swim in it all the time then.

I lived in NH and literally dumped every piece of winter wear in a Tupperware container at the end of my drive way and labeled it free. To this day I know I couldn't have used any of it.

Last edited by Sweetbottoms; 09-01-2013 at 07:27 PM..

Old 09-01-2013, 11:44 PM

45 posts, read 86,245 times
If I were you, I would definitely save some winter clothes if in the event you and your family decide to head up north for a Thanksgiving or Christmas holiday or if, God forbid, you must attend a funeral.

Old 09-02-2013, 12:10 AM

35,316 posts, read 46,991,769 times
Most of the time Florida leisure attire is t-shirt,shorts, flip flops, cooler winter days you want to have available tshirt ,hoodie, long jeans and regular running shoes.

Old 09-02-2013, 06:40 AM

22,652 posts, read 23,298,664 times
There are the rare days when you would be totally comfortable in your northern wear and because we have to stay out a couple of hours on some of those 40 to 50 degree mornings, we do have a couple of 'winter' type coats and did wear gloves and hats if the wind was also blowing.
However, they are being shed by the end of those 'couple hours' and generally layering is most that is needed.
It is funny to me, to see real 'winter' clothes in the stores in southern Florida....tall boots with furry trim, etc.

Old 09-02-2013, 07:08 PM

652 posts, read 1,519,916 times
You can wear whatever you want. Also remember to keep winter clothes if you plan to visit family where you came from. Here the natives who don't know what cold is will wear a heavy coat when it's 50 degrees out and I will be in a tshirt or lite sweater.

Old 09-03-2013, 08:38 AM

32 posts, read 58,653 times
Welcome to Naples - we moved from Michigan last summer - I think I wore a lightweight sweater once last winter! My high schooler dresses for styke (not weather) so she'll wear a sweater to school & come home & change into shorts. I see lots of kids at the high school dressed for fall even when it's in the 90s.

Old 09-03-2013, 10:30 PM

146 posts, read 306,217 times
We have two seasons, high summer and low summer! Seriously, I doubt you'll ever need a heavy coat unless you walk the beach at night during a cold front. I might throw on a sweater a couple of times. Think layers. Thin layers. Winters are very mild.....a cold front might blow thru and it's a bit chilly for a couple of days. I love it, find it refreshing and look forward to it. i would let most of the heavy stuff go but save a few pieces for travel or freaky weather.

Old 09-04-2013, 08:33 AM

8,737 posts, read 4,902,889 times
My husband got rid of all of his winter clothes when he moved here in 2004. Hello? You are NEVER going to go back North to see your children, as in the Holdays? The kids spent ONE Christmas in Florida and did not like it. Second, my husband goes to two business conventions in Upstate NY in the Fall/Early Winter. He ended up having to go out and buy new winter clothes for these trips.

If you have relatives up North or travel for business, keep SOME of your winter clothes.

Old 09-04-2013, 01:56 PM

340 posts, read 964,333 times
Shorts and golf shirts year round !!! My A/C stays on all year, just in case ........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples