U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2006, 12:15 PM

52 posts, read 275,629 times

Advertisements

Our family is moving to Ft Myers/Naples area from Kansas. If it weren't such a great business deal for my husband, we wouldn't consider leaving our wonderful, suburban location but, we're working on getting excited because we can't go back now.

Can anyone offer thoughts on where we should live? I've been doing a lot of calling around and the Lee County School district scares me a little. So, I want to live in Collier County but the home prices there are just as scary. The big question is: Do we want the bigger home or the school district? I've looked at Gateway Community where they have a couple charter schools but there's no guarantee on that. We've also looked at Naples Park as more of an up-and-coming kinda place which might be fun and a good investment, albeit small.

I appreciate any suggestions I can get! Thank you!

P.S. Thoughts on why it is a terrible move are not as welcome because we're going regardless...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2006, 05:11 PM

2,141 posts, read 6,580,316 times
Naples Park has been there a long time. Its right off Tamiami tr (us41) and the beach is right there. lee county homes are less and yes you could get more house. as far as the schools well there is school choice.

you might try the tv news site
nbc-2.com

Last edited by firemed; 10-21-2006 at 05:58 PM..

Old 10-21-2006, 07:31 PM

1,943 posts, read 8,136,342 times
I live in Naples, and happen to be a collier county public school teacher. Yes, we do have some great schools-many A and B rated schools. Yes, it is barely affordable here and what can be afforded by regular paid people like teachers is about the size of a closet. Lee county is more affordable (but if you look at other states, it is still very high!)...but the other poster was right, you do have school choice. You are broken down into I think 3 zones, and you get to chose from a couple of elementary, middle and high schools. Now, some parts of Lee county aren't too nice, so I would look at that too. San Carlos Park is pretty nice. It's in Lee County, but not too far from Naples; it's a little community and the schools are pretty good.

Old 11-16-2006, 09:32 PM

124 posts, read 777,761 times
Coming from Kansas, you may be infor shock at how small lots are in Naples Park. It is up and coming, well at least pre-bubble, but still a little mixed with newer homes, yucky duplex and triplex rentals, and some middle class looking homes. I don't know alot about Naples Park elementary, but there are better schools. I believe taxes in Lee County are higher.....if anything can be higher than Collier. It's just really expensive too live in Collier County. You are in good shape to buy a home because real estate is leveling off finally. Try some of the family oriented communties off Immokalee Rd....Pebblebrooke Lakes, Indigo Lakes, Laurel Lakes, maybe even Willoughby Acres. It is pretty unlikely you will find anything for much less than $300k depending on your price range. The schools for these communities are pretty good. Good luck. I live in North Naples, by the way but luckily bought here many years ago.

Old 11-16-2006, 10:39 PM

91 posts, read 129,557 times
i'd say it's a pretty good move. even though i do not live in florida (though i sure wish i did!) i have heard that florida has been improving during the past 8 years or so. (yes, that very likely includes schools, medicade, and everything else)

Old 12-29-2006, 05:59 PM

2 posts, read 6,269 times
Default Affordable is a relative word...I agree

We are moving from Orinda California which is in the San Francisco Bay Area...houses here went from 580 to 1 million in the last 4 years...it's crazy...South Florida looks tame in comparison...

Does anyone know a good place to move with a young family...preferably public schools and a housing range of 600-700k...My husband will be commuting to the Sanibel area so I was thinking maybe Ft. Myers Beach??

thanks for your help!

Old 12-29-2006, 06:15 PM

22,583 posts, read 50,424,999 times
I just noticed this thread. I have to say that my daughter went to the new elementary school in San Carlos Park. It was a nightmare.

School choice was a joke. We put down our three choices and that is what they stuck us with, and I was there the first hour that school choice opened up.

I didn't care for San Carlos Park. Some of the areas are getting run down, and can be pretty iffy. I thought Three Oaks was nice, though.

Old 10-02-2007, 03:41 PM

2 posts, read 4,378 times
Default Moving to South West Florida

I have lived in this area for over three years now and have young children. Truly I think the best location for a young family is Cape Coral. I love it and the schools are great! Again there is school choice but research the A schools and you shouldnt have a problem. Stick to the south west/east and you'll find incredibly afforable homes in very nice neighborhoods. Right now is the time to buy down here as the investors have over invested and are trying to get rid of them now. Its a buyers market ; ) Good Luck!
The only draw back is the rush hour traffic in the AM and Florida is hot most of the year .

Old 10-03-2007, 07:33 AM

2,141 posts, read 6,580,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adani23 View Post
I have lived in this area for over three years now and have young children. Truly I think the best location for a young family is Cape Coral. I love it and the schools are great! Again there is school choice but research the A schools and you shouldnt have a problem. Stick to the south west/east and you'll find incredibly afforable homes in very nice neighborhoods. Right now is the time to buy down here as the investors have over invested and are trying to get rid of them now. Its a buyers market ; ) Good Luck!
The only draw back is the rush hour traffic in the AM and Florida is hot most of the year .
I have been here all my life and know the true crime stats. Good luck selling the area it might work if people can't read the paper or watch the news nobody wants to admit that they made a mistake. Moderator cut: Unnecessary comment ...

Last edited by 2goldens; 04-08-2008 at 04:42 PM.. Reason: Unnecessary comment

Old 10-03-2007, 09:02 AM

2,093 posts, read 5,218,347 times
Naples is a charm when:

1) During Off Season, Summer months for you newbies.
2) If your rich and don't need to work.
3) You don't care about nightlife and clubbing SoBe lifestyle

If you can't find good work (which is very difficult in SW Florida) or take a major pay cut, be ready to make major sacrifices to live the lifestyle....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples