Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2014, 10:53 AM

27 posts, read 76,466 times

Advertisements

Anticipating a job opportunity and relocation from Atlanta to North Naples, we continue to evaluate our comfort level with worst case scenario stuff: heat, traffic, bugs, employment security, even openly discussing suburban gators and possible invasive species - and Naples is still a go if I get a good offer.

While lesser on the list, I wanted to better understand red tide. How many weeks out of an average year might you not be able to enjoy the beach due to it? And when it's going on, are the beaches completely closed, or just getting in the water? We are not big swim in the ocean types but like to walk along the beach, watch sunsets, etc. Also a red tide bloom does not typically affect bay waters and estuaries right? I hope to be an avid beach runner, kayaker and paddleboarder and hoping to not be shut down often by red tide algae.

Thanks,

Bryan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2014, 03:02 PM

3,848 posts, read 7,957,605 times
We can't predict red tide. Sometimes it can linger for weeks or a month. Sometimes just a week. Some years more than once, some not at all. The beaches won't close but you won't want to be near them. Anywhere near the beach. Within a few miles will wreak of dead fish and you will have a scratchy throat and itchy eyes. I live 2 1/2 miles from the beach and I can smell the fish and I'm greatly effected by the coughing and allergy like symtoms. People with upper respiratory issues are usually recommended to avoid the beach and limit outside activities during red tide

Old 03-03-2014, 05:09 AM

27 posts, read 76,466 times
OK Sweetbottoms, thanks much for the helpful info.

Old 03-03-2014, 08:12 AM

3,848 posts, read 7,957,605 times
Np, don't worry red tide season just melts into fire season, which is followed by hurricane season then love bug season and snowbird season.

Old 12-04-2014, 08:58 AM

1 posts, read 2,436 times
Default Red Tide

I am just recovering from sickness due to exposure and contamination from Red Tide in my hometown Naples, Florida. I did not heed the signs when I began intermittently coughing while strolling down the beach from 32 Ave. S down to Gordon's Pass, two days in a row. There was no nausea or digestive issues. I had no appetite for over a week. I experienced a mild grade fever and was quite lethargic, had more neurological symptoms with mild headaches and just sleeping and resting for the duration. Continued coughing during the interim and am so thankful to be back to my normal self.

Old 12-09-2014, 05:27 PM

140 posts, read 288,061 times
Does anyone know of a Florida environmental monitoring website that monitors red tide? Some people on our street are having a tough time with it this year. Red Tide seems to give people flu like symptoms.

Old 12-10-2014, 06:17 PM

82 posts, read 155,194 times
Default Red Tide website

The link below is very useful for checking red tide status. I experienced red tide during November while staying in Estero. Collier County : Home (under "your government", choose pollution control - red tide info is available there.)

Old 12-22-2014, 05:10 PM

18 posts, read 23,903 times
Default red tide crrent location at sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjp1234 View Post
The link below is very useful for checking red tide status. I experienced red tide during November while staying in Estero. Collier County : Home (under "your government", choose pollution control - red tide info is available there.)
Anyone able to find a map of the red tides current location out in the gulf? I can see the current beach reports, but I was hoping to see where this red blob is currently out in the gulf. I can't seem to find a current satellite view.
Thanks,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
View detailed profiles of: