Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2014, 08:48 AM

20 posts, read 36,809 times

Advertisements

What about poisonous spiders? Are they common in the houses or yards? Anywhere?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2014, 09:57 AM

390 posts, read 608,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mar_mdq View Post
What about poisonous spiders? Are they common in the houses or yards? Anywhere?
There is non-poisonous spiders and poisonous.... Both types may be in your yard and they can sneak in your into your house, especially if you live in a wooded area

Old 06-21-2014, 11:04 AM

So how you live with it? Do you get your house sprayed? Or is people beaten every few days?

Old 06-21-2014, 11:10 AM

390 posts, read 608,906 times
You either do your own spraying or you hire someone to spray your property/home. It's a way of life being that Florida is in a sub-tropical climate. But for most people, the positives of living in Florida outweighs the negatives.

Old 06-21-2014, 12:10 PM

And what do you think about the mosquito spray and the health impact?
Thanks for your help

Old 06-21-2014, 12:37 PM

4,788 posts, read 10,607,775 times
One might conclude that SW FL is chock full of creatures and critters just laying in wait for us humans...

I have spent a lot of time wandering around the neighborhood and in the fringes of the 'Glades, shore diving, kayaking, walking around in very undeveloped areas, both here in SW FL and at our Mtn house.

Have seen a few black widows, may have seen a brown recluse, lots of spiders, insects and creatures; other than the usual 'bug bites', have never had a problem with venomous creatures in my 66+ yrs on the planet.

Occasionally a spider or two 'inside' the house, but don't really care nor are they bothersome.
We have the pest company spray inside and out a few times a year, mainly to keep the cockroaches outside/at bay...

Everyone has a different comfort level, but SW FL is Zone 10 A, and while many areas of Collier/Lee county are developed with communities, the temps and surrounding bits of non-pavement allow for all the creatures to thrive, multiply.

My view is anecdotal, but so are any other responses. There is no bug free/spider free area of the US, that I am aware of.

Lightning, bad driving, and home accidents are much more deadly and statistically/practically common...
GL, mD

Old 06-21-2014, 01:18 PM

597 posts, read 1,442,985 times
Exterminators cannot prevent spiders by spraying. They don't clean themselves so they do not ingest it. Other bugs do clean so they they ingest it and die.

I live in Fiddlers Creek (naples) and it is sprayed and the other I saw something black in the hall....a closer look revealed a golfball sized spider strolling along.

We also (florida) have a black widow/brown widow problem. My house in Sarasota (when we bought it) had egg sacks all over the upper lanai screens. The upper lanai is 60ft. long and they covered the entire length...thousands of sacks... I had Macy's spray and they charged me $350 and left. I thought they took care of it until the screen man was there and told me that my upper lanai had brown widow eggs sacks all over it. When I looked, I could see that they didn't get rid of them. When I called they said their brush wasn't tall enough (WHAT???)......Anyway, that was when I learned about spider behavior and that they do cannot spray to prevent them.

If they say they can, then they are lying.

Old 06-21-2014, 07:21 PM

644 posts, read 1,484,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveLidoBeach View Post
Exterminators cannot prevent spiders by spraying. They don't clean themselves so they do not ingest it. Other bugs do clean so they they ingest it and die.

I live in Fiddlers Creek (naples) and it is sprayed and the other I saw something black in the hall....a closer look revealed a golfball sized spider strolling along.

We also (florida) have a black widow/brown widow problem. My house in Sarasota (when we bought it) had egg sacks all over the upper lanai screens. The upper lanai is 60ft. long and they covered the entire length...thousands of sacks... I had Macy's spray and they charged me $350 and left. I thought they took care of it until the screen man was there and told me that my upper lanai had brown widow eggs sacks all over it. When I looked, I could see that they didn't get rid of them. When I called they said their brush wasn't tall enough (WHAT???)......Anyway, that was when I learned about spider behavior and that they do cannot spray to prevent them.

If they say they can, then they are lying.
Ugh! The brown widow sacks would have me not sleeping at night. What did you do to get rid of them? Did any sacs hatch, and did any spiders come into your house?

Old 06-21-2014, 09:19 PM

121 posts, read 213,917 times
The only spider you have to worry about here is the brown recluse and the statistical probability of them biting you is absolutely minute. Point being, you don't have to worry about them.

SPIDERS ARE OUR FRIENDS. We like having them in our house. Especially the big ones that hunt down the cockroaches

I assure you that spraying pesticides in your house is INFINITELY more dangerous than the danger you face from the spiders here.

Old 06-22-2014, 11:11 AM

3,848 posts, read 7,960,523 times
We have lots and lots and lots of bugs in SWFL. We just deal. Not too long ago I found a black widow in my car door. My cousin was bitten by one. We also have tons of lizards, those have been in my house weekly, they scoot in behind me when I open the door usually and I gotta get them out with a glass and paper to hold them in. We did have a snack in our outdoor couch once, I sat on the cushion and he was wiggling under me. We still aren't sure where he came in through the screens. We've had iguanas sunbathe on our driveway and banana spiders are used as a "security system" by some people. My fathers friend had hundreds of them over his windows he left, convinced no one wanted to climb through their webs, or them to get in. I agreed! We also have love bug season, no seeum season. If you live in GG you have panthers to contend with. My husband has had several calls of panthers snacking fido out of the yard, as well as several dogs being eaten by the gators after getting too close to the lake.. The real issue now is the pythons.. They're out of control in the glades. They're so big they're eating the alligators. like this bad boy

due to Lake O release into the gulf we've also had several alligators find their way onto the public beaches, via surfing the ocean waves in.

Heres a corner of my window during the love bug season of 07.

and a part of the house

these are the "super mosquitoes" that popped up last summer

here's a snake trying to crawl up my neighbors door when we got a lot of flooding during a big storm last year (the dirty hallway is residual lake sand from where it rose)

my black widow in the car

my screen during the 07 love bug season... all of those are bugs.

so see we deal with it every day, there's something. We essentially live on built up swamp. For the most part we don't really pay much mind. You learn to live around it and with it here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples