Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2014, 11:08 AM

14 posts, read 26,820 times

Advertisements

A friend of mine is planning to move down (fulltime, semi-retired, works from home/anywhere via computer). He sees that house prices are less expensive east of 75 and was asking me if there are real disadvantages, other than maybe being further from the beach. I haven't been here long enough to know firsthand.

He is considering North Naples or Bonita Springs. I suggested he also look in Estero but he says his agent told him it's just as far from the beaches as being east of 75 (since Estero doesn't have direct access over to the Gulf.

So, any advice? Has anyone lived in both locations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2014, 02:58 PM

1,627 posts, read 1,711,766 times
Once you get out of North Naples you are in Lee county and property taxes are higher.

Your friend should get a realtor and spend a few weeks here looking at real estate or just rent for a while before buying, though finding a house to rent is tough. There are so many areas, Naples and surrounding area covers a lot of ground. HOA fees can be killer high, so you need to set parameters.

We looked all over from Cape Coral, Fort Myers, Estereo, Bonita Beach and settled on North Naples east of 75.

Just got moved in so I can't offer much more.

Old 07-06-2014, 06:10 PM

14 posts, read 26,820 times
Thanks for the suggestions and yes, I think he plans to look around for awhile. But he sees prices climbing so doesn't want to wait to long.

We have learned that firsthand info is often the most helpful. I read on another thread that there are weather differences (which I had thought was probably just a myth when someone told me that).

I expect there will be a good deal of building/expansion east of 75 over time, especially as north/south roads get built. I expect more stores will go up as development increases. It will be interesting to see what the area will be like 10 years from now.

Our friend is a big time beach enthusiast, thinking he will take daily walks, etc. I'll wait and see if that actually happens once he's here. He also says he plans to take 15-20 mile bike rides. I'll wait to see if that happens too.

As for me, I'm happy with a beer while watching a nice sunset.

Old 07-06-2014, 06:32 PM

1,627 posts, read 1,711,766 times
Prices are definitely going up. On another thread here about Riverstone, nyflbound said her home now costs $75K more to build than it did a few year ago when they first opened.

We are in zip code 34119-access to everything only takes 15-20 minutes at most. Great roads, no traffic (I hear that changes "in season"). Restaurants everywhere, grocery stores etc are very conveniently located.

Having just moved from downtown Chicago, we're enjoying life here a lot more.

Old 07-07-2014, 06:56 AM

76 posts, read 188,687 times
One major difference is the weather. It is definitely not a myth. The coastal areas have a higher low temperature, a lower high temperature, and less precipitation, resulting in more moderate weather. The inland areas are colder when it is cold, and sometimes get below freezing when the coastal areas are still in the 40s. Also, there is more humidity and heat trapped inland which results in higher highs and more storms. It is not unusual for it to be storming inland while the areas closer to the coast are still enjoying sunshine. None of this is to say that living inland is a bad thing, it is just better to be aware of the differences.

Old 07-07-2014, 03:43 PM

3,418 posts, read 7,789,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeinPA View Post
Thanks for the suggestions and yes, I think he plans to look around for awhile. But he sees prices climbing so doesn't want to wait to long.

We have learned that firsthand info is often the most helpful. I read on another thread that there are weather differences (which I had thought was probably just a myth when someone told me that).

I expect there will be a good deal of building/expansion east of 75 over time, especially as north/south roads get built. I expect more stores will go up as development increases. It will be interesting to see what the area will be like 10 years from now.

Our friend is a big time beach enthusiast, thinking he will take daily walks, etc. I'll wait and see if that actually happens once he's here. He also says he plans to take 15-20 mile bike rides. I'll wait to see if that happens too.

As for me, I'm happy with a beer while watching a nice sunset.
April is correct about the weather.

East of i-75:
-Less traffic
-Less 'key" things-medical offices, the hospitals (more or less), the mall, most big box stores.....
-Younger demographics
-Cheaper housing
-Fewer tourists and snowbirds

Daily walks on the beach are a fantasy unless you live ON the beach or within walking distance. I cannot imagine anyone driving to the beach EVERY DAY just to take a walk, especially east of I-75.

Old 07-07-2014, 04:37 PM

3,848 posts, read 7,963,110 times
What it comes down to is... Do you want to be in the mandatory evacuation zone or the evacuate to zone... One will cost you more both ways than the other..

I'm in the mandatory evacuation zone (34109) and wouldn't live outside of it. Anything east of 75 IMO is built up swamp land that takes a drive to get to beaches etc that I d rather not deal with. I'll take my chances on the storm surge to not deal with the bugs and no sea breeze of in land

Old 07-09-2014, 12:18 PM

112 posts, read 308,710 times
I live within walking distance of the beach and I don't make it down for sunrise every night. I work. I workout. There isn't always enough time. But if I were east of 75, I might get there a couple times a year. The drive during season to the beach from East of 75 would get old real quick. If a person is moving here for the beaches, I suggest living as far West of 75 as possible.

Old 07-10-2014, 07:52 AM

3,848 posts, read 7,963,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magemom View Post
I live within walking distance of the beach and I don't make it down for sunrise every night. I work. I workout. There isn't always enough time. But if I were east of 75, I might get there a couple times a year. The drive during season to the beach from East of 75 would get old real quick. If a person is moving here for the beaches, I suggest living as far West of 75 as possible.
Agreed I'm about 2 miles from the beach and when it's nice I'm there. In season if I loved farther I wouldn't leave my house half the time
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples