Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2014, 10:17 AM

597 posts, read 1,442,985 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me the difference between these two areas? I always see a lot of crime reports in Golden Gate but many times it doesn't say if it is Golden Gate City or Estates? Loganwoods is in what area?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2014, 11:03 AM

1,394 posts, read 2,088,965 times
Golden Gate City is the big square on the map, bordered by Santa Barbara to the west, Green Blvd to north, 951 to east and a canal to the south and intersected by Golden Gate Pkwy.

Golden Gate Estates is pretty much everything east of Livingston Rd. that isn't a "development" and feature lots measured in acreage. The original plat map goes east all the way to Desoto and south, almost to 41, although the area south of the Alley (150 sq miles or so!) is now a state preserve.

"Logan Woods", which goes from Vanderbilt Beach Rd to Pine Ridge Rd (The area on Logan between Pine Ridge and Green might be considered part of "Logan Woods" as well, but I'm not sure) is part of Golden Gate Estates, and has only recently been called such. The Oakes Blvd area is also part of GGE, but now they call it something else too.

As for crime, in general, Golden Gate City is not too great, which is a shame. The main reason is the preponderance of multi family housing (duplexes etc.) and later, Section 8 apartment complexes. When I moved to Naples in '87, Golden Gate City was at the edge of nowhere!

We lived in the "city" for about 5 years, and never had any issues, but it's definitely gone downhill since then. We lived in the southeast corner on the golf course, and it was then (and probably still is) considered the nicest area in GGC. One way in, and one way out, so not a lot of through traffic. It was a nice little enclave.

We've lived in the "estates" for almost 16 years, on the 951 side of "Logan Woods"...... although we don't call it that, it's the same section of woods! Our street is still a number and hasn't been changed to a fancy name like Lignumvitaewood La., like they did on Oakes and Logan, which were numbers too.

We've never had any issues in the estates either.

Personally, I love the estates, as I can't abide by the HOA "lifestyle" where "your" house, really isn't.....

Last edited by Tripower455; 08-04-2014 at 11:11 AM..

Old 08-04-2014, 12:34 PM

3,417 posts, read 7,787,128 times
I agree with this.

I, too lived in GG City about 12 years in the SE section before moving to the estates.

Logan Woods and Oakes share GG Estate zoning as do the areas west of Santa Barbara and west of Collier north of Pine Ridge. Sometimes these areas are referred to as "close-in Estates".

Oakes Blvd north/south is divided from an invisible line that extends from GG Boulevard westward.

GG City can be decent middle class on one street and ghetto the next street over.

Old 08-04-2014, 01:10 PM

Thank you to both of you. This helps me a lot. I had met a vet who said she lives in Loganwoods and loved the area. So then I started to pay closer attention and I just couldn't picture her living in a crime filled area. I knew there had to be good and bad parts. I have driven through there and saw many beautiful homes but I wasn't sure if I was in the city or the estates.

When the duplex's/section 8 housing are in areas, it means there will be crime. I think that is what has ruined Naples Park. If you go to to many other beach towns in Florida, they are not like Naples Park because some rocket scientist decided to build duplexes and now it is 50% nice and 50% ghetto/section 8 in the duplexes. If you go to north to Anna Maria Island, Lido Beach, Siesta Key you will see the same little cottage houses but they are getting 400-500K for tiny , outdated homes because there are no dumpy duplexes/section 8 housing in those areas. Actually, Naples Park could be nicer than the areas I mentioned since they have the Mercato. But it will never happen since the investors have turned it into section 8 paradise.

A while ago I drove through NP and it was 10 AM on a weekday and there was a nicely renovated home on one corner, for sale, and I wondered why it hadn't sold, until I saw it in person. Across from it, on the other corner was a man in his underwear with his big belly hanging out, squeezed into a plastic chair, drinking a big huge bottle of beer, staring at the renovated house. He was probably 30 yrs old and obviously not working. Who would want to buy that house when you see that as your neighbor?

It's just a shame what the investors did to that area.

Thanks for clarifying GGE vs GGC to me.

I would love to have a big yard, no neighbors and be able to have a garden! I'm jealous! LOL

Old 08-04-2014, 10:13 PM

Other than my friends, my 5 acres is gonna be what I miss most about living in Naples when we move next year. I really enjoy the peace and quiet.

Old 08-05-2014, 01:34 PM

Yeah 5 acres is like heaven! Do you have a garden? I miss growing food and not having nosey neighbors lurking around!

Do you have to move?

Old 08-06-2014, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveLidoBeach View Post
Yeah 5 acres is like heaven! Do you have a garden? I miss growing food and not having nosey neighbors lurking around!
I love it.... No garden, although I've considered it a few times. I have a brown thumb, and have concluded that if I WANT it to grow, it won't, but if I DON'T want it to grow, it will. Our neighbors are great too. And if their not, it doesn't matter, like it does in an HOA governed Gulag, since you are not forced to interact with them due to close proximity and ridiculous rules.

Good fences make good neighbors, and the best fence is space, IMHO.

We've been looking at other places in FL closer to work, and it's hard to find a place like the close in estates, where you have the best of both worlds like we do now. I can ride my bike to the supermarket in under 10 minutes and then come home to HOA-less paradise. Most places where I can get an acre or 2 are either in the middle of nowhere or not so nice. I, personally have no issue with the middle of nowhere, but my wife does. Heck, where we live now was the edge of nowhere when we bought it in '98, now it's in the middle of everything.

Quote:
Do you have to move?
Not really, but we should have moved 13 years ago instead of me commuting to Orlando. Biggest mistake I've made in an otherwise great career was staying in Naples vs. moving closer to work. Prior to that, I commuted on airplanes to distant places for a decade. I have 15 years to go to retire, and I'm dreading the thought of doing this commute for another year (especially now that the economy is rebounding, making traffic even more miserable, particularly in "season"), and can't even fathom doing it for another 15.

This last winter was by far the worst, as far as traffic and commute time, that I've seen since they finished 6 laning I-4 in 2003. It was taking me up to 4 hours to get to work every week this winter (average, no traffic time is 3:05 hours going up during the day, and 2:45 late at night coming home). Even this summer, my averages are creeping up to 3:10-3:20 during the day, mostly due to sheer volume of cars. I've never seen so many out of state plates in August!

SWFL is a great place to live, provided you don't have to travel to or from it too often.

Naples is nice, but not that nice.....UNCLE.....

Last edited by Tripower455; 08-06-2014 at 11:04 AM..

Old 08-07-2014, 10:52 AM

I laughed about your brown thumb. I have one too but I am determined to grow a garden! LOL I will probably end up spending a thousand to get soil and build raised beds and will grow nothing. I have to turn my brown thumb green. Others can do it so I have to be able to do this!

Your commute is wicked. Ugh. Do you commute and stay at work for the week? We commujte to Sarasota every other week and I thought that drive was bad. Yours is REALLY bad.

You are right about the out of state plates. TONS from NY. Even now that it is not season, it takes forever to get anywhere. Every road around place is torn up so I sit waiting in the long lines due to construction. I'm in Fiddlers Creek so you know what I am living in the middle of.

I can't even imagine what it will be like in season because I know that they will not be finished.

I really feel for you with your drive.

Old 08-08-2014, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveLidoBeach View Post
I laughed about your brown thumb. I have one too but I am determined to grow a garden! LOL I will probably end up spending a thousand to get soil and build raised beds and will grow nothing. I have to turn my brown thumb green. Others can do it so I have to be able to do this!
Part of me wants to do the garden thing, but I'm not sure I want to deal with the bugs, animals, weeds etc. Keeping a lawn looking decent is tough enough!

Quote:
Your commute is wicked. Ugh. Do you commute and stay at work for the week?
I go up 3-5 times per month for 3-6 days at a time. I've been trending towards 3 commutes per month lately, thanks to a new law effecting my industry. I typically drive up there midday, and come home late at night, 3-5 days later. If I had to do it every day, I'd be in prison for mass murder!

It's always been bad, but starting last season, it's been, by far, the worst I've seen in 13 years of doing it. I'm not sure if it's the economy or what, but typically, this is my "easy" time of year for commuting, but even this summer has been bad. It took me almost 3.5 hours to get home last night, in part due to 2 lanes being closed on I-4 for 5 of the 15 miles that I am actually on it, and then hitting just about every light between Winter Haven and N. Ft. Myers. Add a few rolling road blocks (folks driving 10-15 UNDER next to each other, for no reason), and 2:45 becomes 3:30.... Typically, at the times I'm driving home (wee hours), it takes 2:45-2:50 depending on the lights.

One of the big advantages of traveling late at night, especially during the week, has always been nearly no other cars on the road. Up until last year, if it was past midnight on my typical tuesday or wednesday night commute, I'd see very few other cars on the road, and most of those were cops. I would rarely have to pass another car or see one coming the other way on the 2 lanes. Now, on pretty much every commute, I have to slow down and wait until it's clear to pass not to mention that I am wearing out my high beam switch attempting to get the opposite direction drivers to dim theirs by flashing mine, usually to no avail. I should just leave them on all the time like everyone else. Don't even get me started on all the morons texting and driving. There is a special place in Hades reserved for them, right next to the morons that drive in the left lane!

It's been so bad this season that I've been seriously considering an airplane for the commute. It would be expensive, and typically won't save that much time, door to door (I figure 45 minutes or so without traffic), but would save a lot of sanity and be far safer.

Unless something drastic changes, by this time next year, I'll be driving about an hour to work.

Quote:
We commujte to Sarasota every other week and I thought that drive was bad. Yours is REALLY bad.

You are right about the out of state plates. TONS from NY. Even now that it is not season, it takes forever to get anywhere. Every road around place is torn up so I sit waiting in the long lines due to construction. I'm in Fiddlers Creek so you know what I am living in the middle of.

I can't even imagine what it will be like in season because I know that they will not be finished.
Yeah, I make it a point to rarely leave the house when I am home, but my wife works and drives around town all the time. She's said the same thing. Worst summer here ever....

Quote:
I really feel for you with your drive.
No need. It's a self induced issue that will be rectified soon!

I am blessed with a healthy family, and a great job in my chosen profession. That said, the commute hangs like a cloud over my head 24-7. I have few regrets in life, but staying here instead of moving closer to Orlando when we opened it in '01 is by far my biggest.

Last edited by Tripower455; 08-08-2014 at 09:58 AM..

Old 08-09-2014, 11:54 AM

Tripower~You have to be a very patient man. I hope you have XM in your car to keep you company. That is a lot of driving but like you said it is not bad since you do your driving late at night.

I almost choked on my coffee when you said " rolling road blocks". That was a great line. Thanks for the laugh!

The other day I headed out at 4:15 from Fiddlers Creek. It was gridlock. Construction equipment everywhere, barrels, cars dodging flaggers and confused grannies sat blocking it even more. Once we got up close enough to CVS, we had to go off roading through their parking lot, dodging cars in an attempt to not have to sit through the 4th round of red lights.

Which BTW, that CVS is going to have to close because it is in the way of the over pass. But let's just keep moving forward and building more developments.

Everytime I go out and sit in this traffic, all the snowbird posters come to mind when they are saying " Oh I flew in this weekend from NY to check on my home being built and the traffic is not bad".

Naples is changing and not for the better so maybe you can find some other hidden gem closer to Orlando and buy a home there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples