Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2014, 08:51 PM

17 posts, read 26,537 times

Advertisements

what are the options for cable and internet in naples? also a lot of the HOAs include 'basic' cable. what channels does this include. I also notice that att uverse is not available in naples. Are there any local internet providers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2014, 05:49 AM

55 posts, read 85,719 times
Depending on where you are going to live makes a difference. Not everything is available everywhere. The 3 most popular are Dish, Century Link (Dish), and comcast. If you are in a gated village, sometimes a service is already bundled with that community.

Also, what is your interest on what you want to do. The services are not what I have at home, but this is still a small market (Naples) and most of the services won't be like home until there is more area subscribers.

You'll get alot of bs from people who are dissatisfied one way or the other but my first 2 points will get you most of the way there.

Old 08-13-2014, 08:14 AM

1,627 posts, read 1,710,721 times
For TV, you can use Dish or Direct TV. I've had both in other locations and liked them both. Good hardware, good packages. I liked the Dish remote better. Problem with satellite for TV is it rains here a lot for 4 months. You may lose signal in big rainstorms. That won't happen with cable providers.

We are now in a rental house and have Comcast because the HOA pays for basic service. The HD-DVR hardware is antiquated compared to Dish or Direct. We got the dual package (TV and internet). I bought my own modem so I don't have to pay to rent one from them. We don't have land line phones so we didn't need the "Triple Play" option.

Other option is Century Link (Prism). I would look at them.

Old 08-13-2014, 08:47 AM

597 posts, read 1,443,223 times
We have Comcast included in our HOA but we have the HD-DVR, as well as our internet connection so they just give credit for basic and we pay the difference. I think our bill for cable/internet/phone bundle is $97 out the door (that is with 2 boxes).

The basic didn't include a lot of our fav DIY type shows but other than that, it is all the main channels people watch.

I can tell you we do not have the "outages" that we used to have with Dish. We used to have Dish at the last place we lived and if there was a storm we were out of luck. (think about hurricanes)

Old 08-13-2014, 08:56 AM

Thanks. This was helpful. But wondering if I could split things like keeping the free comcast cable and getting Internet thru a DSL connection or something that goes thru a phone jack. Can you get Internet thru a dish?

Old 08-13-2014, 03:58 PM

dishNET High-Speed Satellite Internet | DISH[*searchterm*]&utm_term=internet%20on%20+dish%20network&gclid=CO egsIedkcACFSpp7AodxGsAog

The free Comcast cable is pretty bare bones hardware and channel lineup wise. I don't know what Dish Network and Direct TV offer as far a speed and price as an ISP.

I think your best bet is to do what we did-pay extra for upgraded TV and internet from whoever is providing the basic service. Our monthly bill is only $47 for 25 Mbps internet and HD-DVR with lots of channels. HOA pays for the basic TV service.

Old 08-13-2014, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movin1 View Post
dishNET High-Speed Satellite Internet | DISH[*searchterm*]&utm_term=internet%20on%20+dish%20network&gclid=CO egsIedkcACFSpp7AodxGsAog

The free Comcast cable is pretty bare bones hardware and channel lineup wise. I don't know what Dish Network and Direct TV offer as far a speed and price as an ISP.

I think your best bet is to do what we did-pay extra for upgraded TV and internet from whoever is providing the basic service. Our monthly bill is only $47 for 25 Mbps internet and HD-DVR with lots of channels. HOA pays for the basic TV service.
Would definitely do that if it is an option. What package are you getting if you don't mind my asking, so i can get the same deal. I'm assuming it is comcast.

Old 08-14-2014, 06:34 AM

It is Comcast. We have Double Play (Internet and Xfinity TV). We have one HD-DVR-only one TV in the house right now. We have our own modem and get 25Mbps.

We wanted the Digital Starter channel lineup, but for some reason, they couldn't make all the HD channels work and had to upgrade us to the Digital Preferred package. It took a while on the phone to figure that out. They wanted us to pay extra for it, but I argued it was their fault they couldn't make the Digital Starter work as promised in their literature, so we got the Digital Preferred channel line up for the same price as the Digital Starter. The first bill has all the installation charges and we have some issues to work out there, so we're dropping by the office today to straighten that out. Our regular monthly bill is $47.94.

Be prepared to do battle and spend a lot of time on the phone. We went to the main office to talk to someone in person and had better luck there.

Old 08-14-2014, 06:51 PM

Here's an update.

The Scientific Atlantic HD-DVR the tech gave us when he came to do the installation was old, had not been cleaned up (still had the previous users recordings on it) had not been tested (the hard drive was failing) etc. It was noisy and crashed multiple times since we got it a month ago. I had spent time setting up a lot of recordings. Wasted time.

Today at the Comcast office, I complained and got a new Cisco RNG 200N. Major difference in the units. New one is dead quiet, audio and video quality are much better and it is much faster.

If you get an HD-DVR, make sure they don't give you an older model.

Old 08-14-2014, 07:24 PM

Thanks, good advice. I've dealt with Comcast before in Chicago and they can be a pain. I will be prepared to argue if they try to screw me over. thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
View detailed profiles of: