Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2014, 03:46 PM

1,695 posts, read 3,044,251 times

Advertisements

Leaving on a trip from FLL early T'giving morning. We plan to drive from the west coast across I-75 late afternoon T'giving Eve.

I know up north, where I usually have to go somewhere that afternoon, the highways are a disaster. Is it the same way on Alligator Alley?

It usually takes us about 3 hours to make that trip. What should I expect that afternoon?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2014, 07:06 AM

3,848 posts, read 7,961,204 times
alligator alley only has problems when there is an accident. Other than that I've never even seen traffic on it till I hit the East Coast and then its always a disaster. The Alley has always more or less been wide open once you get a few miles away from the toll booth

Old 08-21-2014, 03:04 PM

8,069 posts, read 6,968,692 times
Yuck, I avoid doing that drive during evening hours especially in a holiday. It's not gonna be crowded, just dark and full of drunk aggressive drivers and angry truck drivers who would rather be somewhere else.

Also watch your speed, the chances that Florida Hwy patrol is gonna be there with speed radars is pretty high.

Old 08-21-2014, 10:28 PM

1,394 posts, read 2,089,243 times
I've driven it both ways both before and after Thanksgiving, New Years etc. Unless there's an accident, the traffic, while heavier and slower than usual, is not too bad.

No need to worry about speeding in those conditions, as when it's crowded like that, it's like playing Pole Position if you attempt to drive anywhere near (or heaven forbid, above) the limit.

IMHO, by far the best time to go anywhere in FL is late at night. MUCH easier, as it's the only time you can set your cruise control without having to disengage it every few minutes.

Old 08-23-2014, 07:48 PM

4,612 posts, read 4,894,035 times
Driving Alligator Alley on Thanksgiving could be a real problem. The alligators who live south of the road have been visiting their families that live north of it and they are returning home. Like humans, they often imbibe a little too much 'joy juice' during the holiday and they are moving kinda slow as they cross the road.

Please don't hit one of them 'gators. Instead, get out of your car and offer to help them across the road. OK?

By the way, be sure to treat any snapping turtle with the same courtesy.

Old 08-24-2014, 09:01 AM

1,695 posts, read 3,044,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
Driving Alligator Alley on Thanksgiving could be a real problem. The alligators who live south of the road have been visiting their families that live north of it and they are returning home. Like humans, they often imbibe a little too much 'joy juice' during the holiday and they are moving kinda slow as they cross the road.

Please don't hit one of them 'gators. Instead, get out of your car and offer to help them across the road. OK?

By the way, be sure to treat any snapping turtle with the same courtesy.

Looking forward to some Gator Nuggets for my T'giving meal!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
View detailed profiles of: