Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2019, 11:05 PM

1,394 posts, read 2,087,806 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Middleton View Post
Lol love all the hater commentary around here about our 'traffic' problem.

i was working in Miami today (Sunday) - terrible accident shut down 3 lanes on 95 North @ 4PM. We had 3 near miss accidents on the 595/Broward portion of Alligator Alley.

Then the daily insanity of the Palmetto / Dolphin / 95 / Biscayne / SW 8th st, etc.

Comparing that to the 'traffic' of 75 is a joke. Not to mention from May to December its practically dead on all the major roads around these parts...(Do you have any idea the traffic @ 5PM on i-95 in Dade / Broward?? The traffic @ 4PM on i-4 in Orlando??)

I came home from Miami @ 5PM last Wednesday on 75 and it was backed up from just past Pine Ride to my exit #116..
It was sooooo terrible lol about a 10-15 min delay of stop n go..the horror!
You're the only one comparing Naples to Miami, and yeah, that's a joke.

I used to work in Miami, and commuted to Naples, because you couldn't pay me enough to live in that nightmare, and that was nearly 30 years ago. I still have to go over there several times per year for work stuff, (just did it last Tues) and yeah, it truly sucks. That's one of the many reasons I'd never consider living there and chose to live in Naples instead.

Yeah, the traffic in SFWL isn't as bad as Miami. It's not as bad as Orlando, Long Island, LA, Chicago etc. either. That doesn't make the situation good. It's like getting a 2nd degree burn and saying "well, at least it isn't skin cancer".

That said, do you seriously believe that we're not headed toward a Miami like traffic situation here, in the not so distant future?

I realize that you're a newbie in these parts, and lack the frame of reference that us old timers have, but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see what has happened in the recent past, and is going to happen in the near future.

How many homes, and high density developments, have been built in your short tenure here? Extrapolate that out a few more years, and then take into account that they aren't, and won't, (based on past experience) be adding anywhere near enough road capacity to handle the traffic caused by this major increase in population. Do you see that situation making our traffic issues better in any way? Or do you think we'll hit critical mass at some point, like Miami etc.?

In the 3 decades I've lived here, they've added one road out of the county (Livingston). Logan will double that number. A 2 lane road (Logan) connecting Immokalee and BBR will not even come close to addressing the ever increasing traffic volume east of I75 in N. Naples.

They won't even allow access from the SE Estates onto Alligator Alley, which would be an easy, cheap and effective way to decrease congestion on GGB, PRR, 951 etc. The Everglades Blvd intersection is already partially graded for an interchange, and has been since they 4 laned the Alley in the early 90's.

FWIW, I75 between Naples and N. Ft Myers is almost as bad as I4 these days, and some days, worse. I drive both (on the same day), far too regularly (did it today), and I4 used to be the worst part of the drive. Now, it's getting to be a wash, depending the time of day.

If I have to be in Orlando before noon on a weekday, I leave at around 8:00 the night before and stay in a hotel up there, something I'd never even considered doing before last year, and I did it half a dozen times in 2018. If I leave the house before 10:00, what used to take less than 3 hours, now takes 4+, mainly due to the traffic getting to, and on I75 up to North Ft Myers.

The complete lack of traffic planning is but one of a myriad of reasons that we're bailing out of Collier. We thought we were building our retirement house 20 years ago. The bottom line is that living in Naples used to be worth the long commute. That's no longer the case, which is truly a bummer.

Last edited by Tripower455; 02-24-2019 at 11:34 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2019, 12:53 AM

603 posts, read 442,016 times
Quote:

i was working in Miami today (Sunday) - terrible accident shut down 3 lanes on 95 North @ 4PM. We had 3 near miss accidents on the 595/Broward portion of Alligator Alley.

Then the daily insanity of the Palmetto / Dolphin / 95 / Biscayne / SW 8th st, etc.

Comparing that to the 'traffic' of 75 is a joke. Not to mention from May to December its practically dead on all the major roads around these parts...(Do you have any idea the traffic @ 5PM on i-95 in Dade / Broward?? The traffic @ 4PM on i-4 in Orlando??)

I came home from Miami @ 5PM last Wednesday on 75 and it was backed up from just past Pine Ride to my exit #116..
It was sooooo terrible lol about a 10-15 min delay of stop n go..the horror!
It’s true .... compared to the east there is virtually NO TRAFFIC.... but actually people are less used to traffic over here and frankly everyone in Naples drives at a snails pace.

Old 02-25-2019, 04:26 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,232,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taksan View Post
It’s true .... compared to the east there is virtually NO TRAFFIC.... but actually people are less used to traffic over here and frankly everyone in Naples drives at a snails pace.
Snail’s pace, sheer number of accidents.

And looking at it with a critical eye doesn’t make one a “hater”.

There’s a lot to love about Naples, but traffic during season isn’t one of them. Unless you’re retired, semi-retired or visiting, when you don’t really care too much.

Old 02-25-2019, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripower455 View Post
You're the only one comparing Naples to Miami, and yeah, that's a joke.

I used to work in Miami, and commuted to Naples, because you couldn't pay me enough to live in that nightmare, and that was nearly 30 years ago. I still have to go over there several times per year for work stuff, (just did it last Tues) and yeah, it truly sucks. That's one of the many reasons I'd never consider living there and chose to live in Naples instead.
Off to Boeing?

Old 02-25-2019, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
Off to Boeing?

If it ain't Boeing, I ain't going!

I used to be based in FLL and then MIA many years ago. The Alley/SR84 was a lot of fun when it was 2 lanes all the way to FLL. It used to take over 2 hours to get to FLL, and about 2:20-2:30 to get to MIA. 4 laning the alley and the addition of 595 has knocked a lot of time off that trip. I typically make FLL in under 1:30 these days, with no traffic. It's taken me longer to get to RSW recently.

For the works stuff I have to do, I have the choice of Clearwater or Miami (Hialeah, actually). Miami, as bad as it is, is quicker and most of the drive is far easier than going to Clearwater.

The worst part of the Miami drive, is, by far, on 27, between the lime quarries and 826. Between the dump trucks, moron drivers and the "surprise!" left turn only lanes, it's like Thunderdome over there.

951 coming home at 5:30 PM was not much better. It took me almost 30 minutes to get from the 951 exit off 75 to my house last week, a distance of 5 miles. I actually made better time (going 8 miles), both ways on 27 that day, even leaving Hialeah at a little before 4.

Old 02-25-2019, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripower455 View Post
If it ain't Boeing, I ain't going!

I used to be based in FLL and then MIA many years ago. The Alley/SR84 was a lot of fun when it was 2 lanes all the way to FLL. It used to take over 2 hours to get to FLL, and about 2:20-2:30 to get to MIA. 4 laning the alley and the addition of 595 has knocked a lot of time off that trip. I typically make FLL in under 1:30 these days, with no traffic. It's taken me longer to get to RSW recently.

For the works stuff I have to do, I have the choice of Clearwater or Miami (Hialeah, actually). Miami, as bad as it is, is quicker and most of the drive is far easier than going to Clearwater.

The worst part of the Miami drive, is, by far, on 27, between the lime quarries and 826. Between the dump trucks, moron drivers and the "surprise!" left turn only lanes, it's like Thunderdome over there.

951 coming home at 5:30 PM was not much better. It took me almost 30 minutes to get from the 951 exit off 75 to my house last week, a distance of 5 miles. I actually made better time (going 8 miles), both ways on 27 that day, even leaving Hialeah at a little before 4.
I hear you...

The father of one of my son's friends is a 747 check pilot at Atlas and spends a lot of time at that facility. He'd do a lot of odd hours there, leaving GGE at 2am and stuff like that.

Old 02-25-2019, 02:11 PM

62 posts, read 61,217 times
Quote:

Well yeah, compared to one of the largest cities in the country, traffic here is nothing.

But when you take into account the size of the town, some of the major intersections here are crazy, and it's not just during the season anymore.

As they keep building more and more east of i75, it's only going to get worse and there are no plans for improvement....only bad ideas about lengthening left turn lanes and having them cross traffic earlier.

Old 02-25-2019, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
I hear you...

The father of one of my son's friends is a 747 check pilot at Atlas and spends a lot of time at that facility. He'd do a lot of odd hours there, leaving GGE at 2am and stuff like that.

The stuff I do for work over in MIA isn't sim related. We have our own sims in Dallas. I was there a few weeks ago too.

I am trying to think of who I know at Atlas in GGE. I know one of the DO's on the ATI side of Prime Air, but he doesn't do anything with Atlas, and he lives in Ft. Myers.

Old 02-26-2019, 08:41 AM

62 posts, read 61,217 times
LOL, at least you aren't driving up to the Titusville office

Old 02-26-2019, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagochuck23 View Post
LOL, at least you aren't driving up to the Titusville office

Hopefully I will be soon.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples