Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2014, 08:26 PM

146 posts, read 333,972 times

Advertisements

For those of you pondering coming to Naples, at any age, with or without children, life is what you make it. Some of you will always find something to whine about. Whiners please stay where you are, because life won't be any better for you in a different environment if you don't check the attitude. You will always find something to complain about. For those of you who are friendly, optimistic and realistic, you will make the best of what the town has to offer......and it offers way more than most other small cities in the US.

There is some crime, but it is low compared to everywhere else, especially cities in the north. The weather here in winter beats shoveling 6 feet of snow up there. ....but it's one long muggy summer. Take your pick.
There are tons of activities for young people. I certainly never had a moment's quiet down time because I was always driving my kids to some activity or event.

The perfect city would be small with lots of green spaces, parks, bike paths, quiet little homes or condos tucked neatly around a lively shopping district with cafes, galleries, cool hip shops and a tons of cultural events, with 4 mild seasons, reasonable prices, low taxes and moderately priced homes.
News flash....It doesn't exist. If it did I wouldn't tell you where it was. I would swear it to secrecy and hope the whiners don't show up.

Pick your poison and your priorities. What's most important to you? Make a list of pros and cons of that area and know you will have to COMPROMISE on some point.

Take the time to learn about the different areas if you think Florida is your new state. It's extremely different from region to region and very different 20 miles up the road. Naples suits me. I'd shoot myself rather than live on the east coast. Miami, Ft. Lauderdale has a lot more young people..it also has a lot more aggressive traffic and loud obnoxious people.

Yes, over the years Naples has destroyed a lot of its wonderful old historical buildings and neighborhoods. There are really large obnoxious megahomes that I believe are ridiculous. But this same new development and these large homes bumper to bumper have provided me with a good living and let me raise my children with fresh air, good water, beautiful beaches and low crime. Yes, there are many older people, some of them grumpy.....but last time I checked anywhere in the US, when people age they get away with being grumpy. Get over it. Smile anyway. They might be in pain or perhaps they were just always that way. Who cares? You don't have to absorb it and reflect it back to others..

Before I came to Naples I had been living in Europe for many years, so I was a little spoiled about choosing a location. I circled the entire US twice looking. For me and my prerequisites at that time and nowthere was no better place for me, maybe not you, than here.

TL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2014, 05:40 AM

3,417 posts, read 7,753,159 times
Excellent!

Old 12-06-2014, 11:43 AM

340 posts, read 1,041,822 times
Well said !!

Old 12-06-2014, 02:47 PM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
4,025 posts, read 6,510,209 times
(I may be repeating myself from earlier posts).......

We are lucky (or stupid enough) to have properties in three locations. NJ, SC and FL. While non of the three locations are perfect, I could live full time at anyone of them. If I had to pick one it would be Naples with Murrells Inlet SC coming in a close second.

I think the most important aspect of any of the three are our close neighbors. Fortunately we have nice, quiet and friendly neighbors at all three places. A bad neighbor could ruin the best of places.

One of my personal axioms that I truly believe applies to myself and most people: There is nothing so great that is does not get old after a while and nothing so bad that you cannot adjust and get use to.

Old 12-07-2014, 01:02 PM

1,592 posts, read 1,666,375 times
My wife and I lived in a nice University town (Champaign, IL) most of our lives. When I retired, we looked at some places in the southwest and didn't like any of them for one reason or another. We had not considered Florida because of the heat and humidity. We moved to Chicago to be close to my sister and our kids who live there. Though we had visited the city a lot over the years and thought we would like living there, after a year, we hated it.

My family used to take winter vacations in Fort Myers Beach when I was young. So, last year during the third worst winter in Chicago history (84 inches of snow and wind chills of minus 40 degrees), we decided to come down here to get out of the cold and snow.

We looked around Cape Coral, Fort Myers, Estero and Bonita Beach. When we finally made it to Naples, we said this is it, went back and sold our condo.

We have traveled a lot and have found few place we like more than Naples, none in the US. We loved Paris, Florence, and Sydney, but the language barrier and concept of living too far from family ruled those out. We have been living here since last July and love it.

Last edited by movin1; 12-07-2014 at 01:40 PM..

Old 12-07-2014, 07:02 PM

351 posts, read 487,268 times
I appreciate these positive posts of Naples. I'm still considering moving my family next summer. Thank you for the good thoughts!

Old 12-07-2014, 10:14 PM

1,905 posts, read 2,772,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandsam View Post
I appreciate these positive posts of Naples. I'm still considering moving my family next summer. Thank you for the good thoughts!
Hopefully you decide to do it you would be welcomed addition to the community.

Old 12-07-2014, 10:16 PM

1,905 posts, read 2,772,842 times
Nice Post and speaks absolute truth !!!

Old 12-09-2014, 06:41 PM

5,390 posts, read 9,629,821 times
I often times find myself going to Naples to escape the hoards of Miami.
It's like my own little get away in naples. Same weather, just more relaxed, laid back....green and beautiful.
Love the beaches, the cute little town, the lack of traffic and rude people. During "holidays" when Miami gets crowded such as memorial day, labor day, Spring break in March. I escape to Naples

Old 12-11-2014, 03:21 PM

140 posts, read 286,805 times
We moved to Naples from Massachusetts and we chose Naples because we wanted the best shot at a nice winter. My parents lived in Stuart FL in the winter and we froze up there. The weather here is amazing and the people are really nice. I agree with TMOZER, our neighbors make it home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples