Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2009, 10:36 AM

5,643 posts, read 9,661,046 times

Advertisements

I live in East Naples too. I also work for the school district. Are we living in the same place?????? Sorry, I don't like Naples
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2009, 07:23 PM

2 posts, read 14,969 times
No reason to apologize to me. I have found a nice life here. I know that the majority of the schools are not the best, not even close!!!! I just know I am here, I have a good job, I have met many people, and I know there are at least *some* school choices that will work for me, since this is where I am and my kids have to go to school!! I never said I want to live here for the rest of my life, but I don't think it's horrible, not at all. And I am never without something to do with my kids. I really am constantly amazed that for a town known for its retirees, there are SO MANY organized events geared toward kids. Are there more events and activities for kids in larger metro areas? YES! I only know that I am here and I have not been at a loss for something to do.

Old 02-20-2009, 11:18 AM

32 posts, read 94,185 times
Wow, that was alot to read!

I was researching Naples because my husband has a job that gives us the opportunity to move wherever, but preferably farther south where it is warmer, cleaner, nicer, sunsets on the ocean, white sand, clear water etc... (We're in Ormond right now, just a tad above Daytona.) We have time- not going anywhere until our lease is up at the end of June (09')

We do have children, and I am a very concerned parent- wanting nothing but the best for my two awesome little boys. This whole thread just got me wandering if I need to set my sights somewhere else?... I don't want it to be anything like my Palm Coast, Fl. experience- that was terrible! A town full of retired people, like someone said about Naples earlier- they looked at our family like we were intruders. Bad traffic, nothing to do, alot of mean northerners (will not specify) just absolutely nothing good to say about it except the school for my guys. I don't want that nightmare again!

We definitely are beach people, want to live directly on it if at all possible, I haven't read much about the beaches on this thread, but I guess that's not really what it was about anyway...

Well, having that insight into my situation, anybody out there that can give me some good info? Please and thank you in advance, ~AJ

Old 08-27-2009, 04:38 AM

3 posts, read 17,765 times
Good info? You've got the whole lot up there. In my opinion, good place, different conditions depending on your preferences. There are communities with kids (so they can play together) and there are places like Golden Gate Estates where you have a lot of land but closest kids can live a mile away. Depends on what you want. Schools are not much to write home about. Infrastructure is adequate. Cultural life is not that eventful. If you are environmentally minded - the place have tons to offer. I agree that schools will be a problem if you want good education for your kids. Yeah, beaches are awesome. Summers are hot. A/C bills are high in summer and pool heating bills are high in winter. Not too many jobs available. Some areas have a distinct "ghetto" outlook, but those are clearly defined. Crime level is overrated. Can be boring for someone from a big city. I like it.

Old 08-27-2009, 05:14 AM

208 posts, read 612,260 times
Well,
I love Naples! Or should I say, Golden Gate Estates.

Most of my neighbors have children. The school seems nice, my teens are loving it.

I feel safe here. Nobody looks at us like intruders. Everyone I met so far, is kind, funny and enjoy talking. I have not met one rude person.

It takes us about 35 minutes to get to a beach, where the water is warm and the sand is clean.

I absolutely believe, this was one of the best choices my husband and I made. So much better than where we came from. Talk about nothing to do, gosh try Pa, that is where boring ville is! All you can do is watch the corn grow in Pa. There is so much to do in Florida. Naples is located close to the east coast, to the keys, and to the west coast cities. You can do something different almost every day here. People with children should look into the programs at the state parks too.

I just need to learn the roads. I get lost very easy...lol!
Other than getting lost on occasion, this is paradise to me. I love it here! Never going back to boring ville again!

Old 03-06-2011, 09:28 AM

17 posts, read 37,500 times
Default Job in Naples

Not sure if anyone will read this as the last post was a while ago but if you do...

My husband is considering a job offer in Naples. It would be a great opportunity for his career, and could last anywhere from 3 to 10 years. I have read tons of the posts on here and what I am wondering is, if he accepts the job, is there a smarter place to actually live rather than being in Naples? Should we consider living Fort Myers and commuting or?? We have 3 children under 7, so schools and community are very important. We live in a master planned community in Arizona right now and it really works for a young family. It is safe & secure, sidewalks everywhere, tons of activities for kids and excelling schools. I don't have to go more than a mile for everything I could need on day to day basis - groceries, parks, schools, rec center. Plus tons of friends/kids within walking distance.

I guess my question is, is there a doable commute that would put us living in a more family oriented place?

That being said we are in 'retirement ville' right now (tons of snowbirds and retirees in AZ) and we enjoy it just fine. I feel like the seniors are very protective of the young families...kind of like surogate grandparents But the ratio is probably 50/50 here with retirees and families.

Old 03-06-2011, 09:50 AM

256 posts, read 745,625 times
The City of Naples is a wonderful place to raise kids. The commute would be terrible from Ft Myers, especially during the Winter months. If it's in your budget check out The city of Naples. Not a master planned but a friendly safe open community. The local schools are good both public and private.

If you want a master plan community there are many to choose from such as any of the Pelican communities. As a rule of thumb, stay as close to the coast as your budget can afford.

Welcome to Naples

Beth

Old 03-06-2011, 10:15 AM

Thanks so much for the reply!
I have read a ton of negative stuff about Naples for young families so it was nice to hear something positive. I get that it might not be perfect, but it looks beautiful, and coming from the west coast of Canada originally, it should be a grand adventure. Between the weather, white sandy beaches and nearby places to explore on a weekend or vacation (Orlando, the Keys, the Bahamas even!) I am excited for the opportunity.

We may be taking a risk though and part of our plan is to keep our housing costs as low as possible. If we found ourselves needing to move again sooner than we expect, we want to have something that is not going to break the bank as far as a mortgage payment goes. BUT we have been renting in Arizona for 2 years and we are sooooooo ready to buy our own house. So with that in mind, where might be the best bang for our buck right now? Ideal would be a mortgage payment that is small enough that we could rent out the house and not have to pay a ton extra.

Clearly there are deals to be had right now, but (of course) I am also looking for a safe area with good schools. And we are a family of five and I will be working from home so we do need a reasonable amount of space (4 bedrooms plus an office space of some kind). So...that's it - just looking to have it ALL (lol). Again, I totally understand that my wish list is long, and I realize we won't get it all, just looking for the best place to start looking. I think staying under $300,000 would be the wise thing for us to do.

Thanks again to anyone willing to lend a hand with some advice

Old 03-06-2011, 06:33 PM

76 posts, read 188,687 times
Don't listen to all the hate. It almost kept me from moving here but I am really glad I did. I absolutely love the beach and warm AND hot weather. In fact, if it is below 75 it is cold to me My husband and I have two children, ages 5 and 3. We are renting right now so I don't know how much help I can be as far as housing goes, but we love being here. There are a lot of great parks and people always riding bikes and enjoying the outdoors. I would move here again in a second. The retirees don't bother us at all. And we have not experienced any more rude people here than anywhere else.

I agree with Beth, stay as far west as you can. I would also recommend renting, even if it is just for 6 months or so, when you first get here. I researched myself to death before we got here and I feel that I was well informed but it's still hard to know which area is best for you until you experience it.

Good luck

Old 03-07-2011, 07:42 AM

Okay, so I've been looking at the MLS and using the advice of 'stay as close to the water as you can' as far as looking at different areas. We do prefer newer construction, and that seems to be further inland - how far inland is sort of too far in terms of staying in a nice area? There are some lovely homes in the Valencia Lakes development, but that is a full half hour drive to the coast...any thoughts?
If anyone has any insight into specific developments I would really love that too!
Thanks in advance
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples