Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2015, 11:47 AM

115 posts, read 249,167 times

Advertisements

I posted this in Lee Co. Forum but we are also looking in Naples.

We had a home in Bonita Springs but sold it and moved back to the Midwest , which we now regret .

We want to return to the area but this time in a condo. Here's the question: would you buy a 2 bedroom in a lesser complex which potentially might have some undesirable residents, or would you buy a 1 bedroom in a more upscale area?

It's just me and my husband (retirees) and a grown child will visit occasionally.

My thinking is: if we aren't comfortable with our surroundings we won't like it. We could always get a sleeper sofa and just downsize. We want to be near the beach, but we are seeing some properties farther out that are nicer but less expensive. I also wonder about resale of a one bedroom...maybe they aren't in much demand and we would have trouble selling down the road. What would you do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2015, 01:36 PM

351 posts, read 492,257 times
My 2 cents - since you don't 'need' that second bedroom on a daily basis, I would focus more on finding a comfortable (i.e. upscale) location with a 1 BR. I would prefer to feel safe, and enjoy my surroundings. In FL, you are going to be outside alot anyway.

Old 01-14-2015, 04:34 PM

549 posts, read 722,959 times
I agree with Sam. If you do it right, you'll only eat and sleep in that box anyways.

Old 01-14-2015, 05:41 PM

1,627 posts, read 1,711,766 times
Have you ever lived in a condo? We had always livd in houses but downsized and moved into one in Chicago. After 10 months, we moved out. It was like living in a hotel or a college dorm. Noisy rude neighbors, elevators that take forever to arrive, expensive $/sq ft, high HOA's. Not our cup of tea.

Be sure you know what you're getting into.

Old 01-14-2015, 07:25 PM

4,790 posts, read 10,613,723 times
OP might broaden their condo hunting search area, as in further north up the SW FL coast: Venice, Sarasota... same weather +/-, great beaches if that is a hot button, a third less traffic any day of the year, et al.

What buys a 'nice' one or two bedroom condo in Collier County, buys a really nice two bedroom condo in Sarasota County, in general, imo.

As for movin1's comment on 'ever lived in a condo', I agree. Not anti-condo, but if one is used to a SFH, on the ground, a condo a story or more up can be a real change.

Since the OP moved back to winter land, didn't like it and wants to come back to SW FL, I rec'd some serious looking and an understanding of needs & wants vs "let's just get back to SW FL as fast as we can".

And, the prices get better in July through September when the sellers have not sold their places during this recent mini-boom, and reality or the need to sell sets in 'then'.
GL, mD

Old 01-15-2015, 06:29 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,449,583 times
also look at auction.com where banks sell condos and coops online often lots of decent deals if you can do cash

Still a lot of foreclosures finally getting sold from housing bust

Old 01-15-2015, 10:34 AM

4,790 posts, read 10,613,723 times
And, other considerations for condo:
-Age of building, age of roof since last re-tile, COA budget and reserves.
-Number of rentals in building/COA, duration period allowed for rental, eg monthly, seasonal etc. Less than a month is a problem consideration.
-Number of and outstanding fee totals of deadbeat current/former condo owners.
-COA mgmt. company tenure, and on and on...
Similar to HOA due diligence but a COA has considerable 'common grounds' and a big roof: all of which get maintained/paid for by the collective units' COA fees.
GL, mD

Old 01-15-2015, 01:24 PM

115 posts, read 249,167 times
Appreciate all the great feedback . Many valid points that will help us down the road . Thank you so much .

Old 01-15-2015, 02:55 PM

4,538 posts, read 6,449,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motordavid View Post
And, other considerations for condo:
-Age of building, age of roof since last re-tile, COA budget and reserves.
-Number of rentals in building/COA, duration period allowed for rental, eg monthly, seasonal etc. Less than a month is a problem consideration.
-Number of and outstanding fee totals of deadbeat current/former condo owners.
-COA mgmt. company tenure, and on and on...
Similar to HOA due diligence but a COA has considerable 'common grounds' and a big roof: all of which get maintained/paid for by the collective units' COA fees.
GL, mD

Look on AirBNB and see it the building has a lot of short rentals listed. I now a guy who owns five airbnb units in one building and is treasurer of condo and another guy does three airnbnb units is also on the board.

VRBO usually has longer rentals but AIRBNB is where folks even do nightly rentals
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples