Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2015, 11:26 AM

18 posts, read 23,913 times

Advertisements

I am in no hurry to buy, and I did not want a realtor just yet. So not being from the area, what should I notice when looking at properties. I am not sure what insurance companies look for. ie... built after what year is better because? Stay out of flood zone, does that apply to condos? Lee instead of Collier because? Condo vs home. I dont need a condo, but if the price is right, I'm in. I can maintain a home no problem. I dont know all the things to watch out for whren buying a condo, that would be another topic. My search borders on the Lee/Collier border price range up to $270k. Any help would be appreciated. I made my 1st trip to the area last November and loved every minute.
Soulshaker
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2015, 12:29 PM

1,626 posts, read 1,710,721 times
Property taxes are higher in Lee County (about 2 % vs 1.25 % in Collier). Condos are like living in hotels or college dorms. Prices are going up on all real estate in this area.

Mortgage loans are low now but are going to go up later this year.

Looking for houses without a realtor is a waste of time. Web sites like realtor.com, Trulia, Zillow etc don't have all the info you need. You don't learn much about what you are looking at, the neighborhoods, HOA and other fees etc.

I would find a realtor and start your search. It will save you time and headaches.

Old 01-20-2015, 02:54 PM

4,789 posts, read 10,610,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulshaker View Post
I am in no hurry to buy, and I did not want a realtor just yet. So not being from the area, what should I notice when looking at properties. I am not sure what insurance companies look for. ie... built after what year is better because? Generally, built in 2002 and newer, though newer tends to < HO cost. Condos tend to fall along same ratable lines, though less so per the structure.

Stay out of flood zone, does that apply to condos? Yes, but condo higher floors sometimes have different ratings than lower floors. 'Flood Zones' are a moving target in terms of how any one specific address is rated, the ratings change/evolve by county every so often and even the 'geniuses' at FEMA can't always tell an owner or prospective buyer what general zone one is in.

Lee instead of Collier because?
As mentioned by previous poster, Lee has a higher mill rate for taxes, but at your price range I am not sure that is a huge consideration. Do you like Bonita north and Ft Myers more than greater 'Naples' is your consideration.

Condo vs home. Don't know how much house or what accoutrements 'club-wise' you will find for 'up to $270k' these days.

I dont need a condo, but if the price is right, I'm in. I can maintain a home no problem. I dont know all the things to watch out for whren buying a condo, that would be another topic. Condo or SFH, both need some serious DD on the 'community', imo: COA fees, HOA fees, CCD?, reserves of either COA/HOA, number of no pays/defaults/liens in the community under that COA/HOA umbrella, rental restrictions as in month min vs less than a month, COA/HOA Board 'strength' and fiscal responsibility vs Ol'Boys Club, pricing history of property, fees, and on and on... My search borders on the Lee/Collier border price range up to $270k. Any help would be appreciated. I made my 1st trip to the area last November and loved every minute.
Soulshaker
Yes, easy to roll into Collier/Lee County for a week and become enthralled; like a vacay vs the hunt for a good, well priced place to live, and then living in SW FL.

Not trying to sound dissuading or rigorous, but you need to make a few trips, do some serious on line research, (Zillow ain't great but it gives one a feel; Realtor.com is better, imo, but accurate fees, costs, etc. are sometimes not up to date on any site), and avoid jumping before looking thoroughly.

Your budget is limiting imo, esp for a SFH, but I recall a few of your previous posts, and another of my long responses.
Seem like you have the SW FL 'fever'. Good, but take your time:
Now through April is 'fever time', yet there will be hundreds of condos and SFHs still on the mkt this August, will even more willing sellers and summer time pricing, imo.

Term paper response, but I had the time...
GL, mD

Old 01-20-2015, 03:53 PM

2,407 posts, read 3,188,935 times
If you liked Naples, have you considered Venice? Your dollar will go further and it's not as crowded. We started in Naples/Bonita Springs and ended up in Venice.

Old 01-22-2015, 07:01 AM

18 posts, read 23,913 times
Thanks movin1, your advice is what I needed to hear. I was trying to be a little more educated on the market down there before I met with an agent. But I should just call, I have a good one given to me. Just looking for local knowledge and what realtors dont tell you at first.
Motordavid, I always appreciate your advice as well, thanks for taking the time to respond. I was down for a month last Nov, looked everyday at dif areas. Biking the neighborhoods helped me talk to anyone out walking their dog, etc. I want to do some serious online research, I just wondered what I should be careful of when searching. No prob with <$275k sfh, it will need work, but I do everything, elec, plumb, roofs, ac, windows, etc.
Macro, I did get up to Venice, very nice, thank you. I will keep that in mind next trip.

Old 02-19-2015, 05:01 PM

38 posts, read 44,834 times
Some thing to consider in your single family vs condo search. If you are looking at villas (2-family side-by-side) be aware that the family in the "other half" of the villa may not keep up their half like you would expect. They may run into financial difficulty and it could become a short sale or foreclosure. Some of the ones I went through reeked of mildew. I'd be upset if I lived next door. They may smoke like crazy on their lanai and you may hate the smell of smoke, or visa versa. If you go the condo route where it is more of an 8 family apartment type and there is a smoker below or above you, you can count on the smell coming into your lanai/condo. I'm not a smoker so that really bothers me.

If you really want a feel for the area, I would suggest a realtor because you can't get into the gated communities to see what the development looks like unless there is an "open house".

Flood insurance only covers water that intrudes from the ground up. If you're on a 2nd floor or higher, it is your option, unless you have a loan and your bank requires it.

You may get a reduction in insurance if you have hurricane shutters that pass muster with wind mitigation tests.

It's great you can do your own work on your property because finding good contractors is a job in itself.

Good luck in your search.

Old 02-20-2015, 06:00 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,245,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by serendipity55 View Post

You may get a reduction in insurance if you have hurricane shutters that pass muster with wind mitigation tests.
Good point; also applies to hurricane-resistant windows/doors. Most newer places go with this option nowadays because of the hassle of putting them on and taking them off, especially for people who live in Naples full year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples