Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2015, 08:31 PM

1,394 posts, read 2,090,042 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who Dat View Post
Ditto what Tripower has said. I've been here my entire life and spent a most of it up to my rear in water of some sort. I still have all of my limbs and have never been bitten by any of these things (less the mosquitoes).
I definitely worry more about the skeeters than gators.

Quote:
Driving here among all the different styles that come from all over the world concerns me about 10,000 times more.
A-freakin-men!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2015, 07:10 AM

11 posts, read 19,988 times
Thank you all, for your 'seasoned' responses I'm more daring (or stupid) than my hubby who is insisting we're being sold a bill of good and he'll never paddle down there, but I figure, if it were a safety concern, we'd be reading stories in the newspaper about kayakers/paddleboarders being gobbled up, and I've never heard of that happening. (now the pythons, on the other hand... have to admit that one freaks me out)
We've been visiting my parents in that area for the past 20 years and never noticed any mosquitos, so it's a surprise to hear that this is a concern. Maybe it's just a summer problem?

Old 02-23-2015, 10:52 AM

152 posts, read 451,154 times
Well, the python was actually in the bushes and not in the water. It is a rare sighting, but it does happen. There was one found in the Marco area a few months ago as well. It was right on the dock by a restaurant. They scare me too.

As far as kayakers, I haven't heard of any critters attacking. Like another poster said, most alligators are scared of people.

Skeeters come out in the summer months.

Old 02-24-2015, 05:27 AM

36 posts, read 72,447 times
A lot of it depends on your perspective. I took my son backpack camping here when he was six at the primitive camp site on the six mile trail in collier Seminole state park. A lot of my friends at work were surprised that I wasn't scared to do that with all the wildlife and nobody around.

I would describe most of these people as city people. I grew up in the Midwest where young kids drove four wheelers around unsupervised and were out deer hunting at 10 or 11 years old...

Old 02-28-2015, 08:37 PM

8,924 posts, read 5,627,476 times
Iam worried about those snakes...

Old 02-28-2015, 10:53 PM

1,394 posts, read 2,090,042 times
The drive to wherever you go to recreate is far more perilous than any wildlife you'll encounter while kayaking, camping, biking, fishinghiking etc.

We've been tent camping around SWFL for nearly 30 years. Never had the slightest bit of an issue with wildlife, unless you count mosquitoes and the time a raccoon got into our cooler one night and ate like a king.

We've dealt with a few aggressive water moccasins while freshwater fishing out in the "blocks", but even that's pretty rare.

Southern rattlers are very skittish and will typically only strike when cornered. I've never had one get aggressive towards me, they've always beat it or just stayed put when I've encountered them. A long time ago, I accidentally picked one up, thinking it was a fire hose (long story) and I think the snake was more surprised than I was. It was cold and he was sluggish, but I nearly had to change my shorts after I tossed the 4 footer as far as I could.

Pygmy rattlers can be pretty aggressive, but the only place I've ever seen them is in my backyard when I lived on the golf course in Golden Gate City. I killed 3 of them in the bushes behind my lanai in the 5 years I lived there.

I haven't run into any pythons, and not sorry about that!

In over 16 years living in the estates, I've seen and killed only one poisonous snake (water moccasin) on my property. I am a "live and let live" kinda guy, but moccasins can ruin your (or your kids/dogs etc.) day.

Last edited by Tripower455; 02-28-2015 at 11:13 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples