Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2008, 06:20 PM

548 posts, read 540,839 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMom72 View Post
I live in a gated, golf community in Naples. I have a 2 bedroom with a den, 2100 sq. feet with water (lake) and golf course views. We paid $285,000, but most of the homes in this section are going for over $400,000. This was an estate sale on the market for 2 years and she wanted to get rid of it. We also had the incentive that we were able to close in one week and right before Christmas.

It just depends how badly the seller wants to get rid of the property and what the buyer is willing to pay.
No offense, I mean this as a serious question.....You say they are "going for over $400,000". Just to be clear, have houses actually sold and closed for over $400,000 in the past 6 months?

Seems to me at least 20 hungry Naples realtors and 50 area investors would have quickly snatched up that house for $285,000 or $300,000 or $325,000 and flipped it for a big profit if the same type houses are selling for over $400,000. Or even simpler...why didn't the person that sold to you sell to one of the people paying over $400,000 instead of to you for $285,000?

Last edited by CJFlorida; 02-01-2008 at 06:32 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2008, 07:22 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,159,933 times
Will it be advisable to check the Property Appraiser website and see the trend?

Old 02-01-2008, 08:24 PM

672 posts, read 905,468 times
Default Two houses sold for

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJFlorida View Post
No offense, I mean this as a serious question.....You say they are "going for over $400,000". Just to be clear, have houses actually sold and closed for over $400,000 in the past 6 months?

Seems to me at least 20 hungry Naples realtors and 50 area investors would have quickly snatched up that house for $285,000 or $300,000 or $325,000 and flipped it for a big profit if the same type houses are selling for over $400,000. Or even simpler...why didn't the person that sold to you sell to one of the people paying over $400,000 instead of to you for $285,000?
$410 and $440 in the past three months. There are still 2 more in this section listed at $425 and one at $500 (never happen). The major difference is that they have pools and we don't. One also has upgraded the kitchen to granite and stainless steel, but they are not on the lake. We looked at them before they sold. Actually we started looking around back in October of 2006.

Our house was listed at $375,000 in August. Maybe those people were willing to pay in the $400,000's to have a house already with a pool/hot tub which ours did not have? We made an offer to the seller of $100,000 less than she was asking for. Remember this was an estate sale which was on the market for 2 years with a listing then of $475,000. I guess you could say we took a gamble with that low offer. But then, what did we have to lose? All she could say was no. We also had everything lined up and told her we could close in one week. Our agent told us that was as good as a cash offer. We said we wanted to go to contract within 48 hours. She came back with $285,000 and a must close within a week. We did and it was 10 days before Christmas. Our neighbor next door told us those other houses took months before they were able to close.

Why didn't a flipper come in, make a low ball offer, put in a pool, and sell for over $400,000? I have no idea. Maybe too many have cold feet in this market? Maybe we just got lucky? I do know that ours is the lowest price sold single family house (including those homes with smaller sq. footage), to date, in this entire community. When we tell our new neighbors what we paid for it, they stand there in stunned silence. For what it's worth, we are appraised at $375,000.

Getting back to the thread, the majority of our neighbors ARE retirees or snowbirds. There are very few families or young marrieds. They say here, if you see children around they are either visiting grandkids, or renters. I think even myself and my husband are in the minority in that, even though we are almost retirement age, the fact that we still work full time seems to be the exception rather than the rule.

Old 02-01-2008, 08:38 PM

548 posts, read 540,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMom72 View Post
$410 and $440 in the past three months. There are still 2 more in this section listed at $425 and one at $500 (never happen). The major difference is that they have pools and we don't. One also has upgraded the kitchen to granite and stainless steel, but they are not on the lake. We looked at them before they sold. Actually we started looking around back in October of 2006.

Our house was listed at $375,000 in August. Maybe those people were willing to pay in the $400,000's to have a house already with a pool/hot tub which ours did not have? We made an offer to the seller of $100,000 less than she was asking for. Remember this was an estate sale which was on the market for 2 years with a listing then of $475,000. I guess you could say we took a gamble with that low offer. But then, what did we have to lose? All she could say was no. We also had everything lined up and told her we could close in one week. Our agent told us that was as good as a cash offer. We said we wanted to go to contract within 48 hours. She came back with $285,000 and a must close within a week. We did and it was 10 days before Christmas. Our neighbor next door told us those other houses took months before they were able to close.

Why didn't a flipper come in, make a low ball offer, put in a pool, and sell for over $400,000? I have no idea. Maybe too many have cold feet in this market? Maybe we just got lucky? I do know that ours is the lowest price sold single family house (including those homes with smaller sq. footage), to date, in this entire community. When we tell our new neighbors what we paid for it, they stand there in stunned silence. For what it's worth, we are appraised at $375,000.

Getting back to the thread, the majority of our neighbors ARE retirees or snowbirds. There are very few families or young marrieds. They say here, if you see children around they are either visiting grandkids, or renters. I think even myself and my husband are in the minority in that, even though we are almost retirement age, the fact that we still work full time seems to be the exception rather than the rule.
Wow, sounds like you did amazing on that deal. Usually the real estate people who see them first don't let us regular folks get to deals like that.

I love to hear people getting a nice house at a great price in this turbulent market...good for you!!

Old 05-10-2008, 06:36 PM

4 posts, read 11,913 times
Default Wellington Question

Wellington sounds like a really lovely, safe community. I hear that there are many rules that must be followed but the person that mentioned that did not elaborate - would anyone know what that person was talking of - they also said the rules in Royal Palm Beach were less strict than those in Wellington??? It sounds like a place I would like to look into. My husband rides a Harley - are motorcycles a problem there - I know a lot of people in Florida ride but don't know if any specific communities are negative about them? I was looking into the Acreage because we like the idea of the "country" feel and large lot size but found out that most roads are gravel and dirt - which might not be good for the bike (or my husband). Any info would be helpful. Thanks.

Old 05-10-2008, 07:20 PM

2,093 posts, read 5,595,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arubaclown View Post
Wellington sounds like a really lovely, safe community. I hear that there are many rules that must be followed but the person that mentioned that did not elaborate - would anyone know what that person was talking of - they also said the rules in Royal Palm Beach were less strict than those in Wellington??? It sounds like a place I would like to look into. My husband rides a Harley - are motorcycles a problem there - I know a lot of people in Florida ride but don't know if any specific communities are negative about them? I was looking into the Acreage because we like the idea of the "country" feel and large lot size but found out that most roads are gravel and dirt - which might not be good for the bike (or my husband). Any info would be helpful. Thanks.
I live in Wellington and can tell having a Harley won't be a problem. Unless your comfortable with dirt roads (that often get flooded) snakes, bugs and more snakes, I wouldn't move to the Acreage or Loxahatchee. If you like more privacy, larger lots and more rural type living then that would be the better choice.

Old 04-12-2011, 02:19 PM

2 posts, read 3,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maria-Isabel View Post
I am looking for a place in Florida to purchase a condo.
As I play golf, I was thinking in looking into Naples. Would you recommend gated-communities with access to a golf course or near a golf course where I should be looking at properties?
I am also looking for something in Wellington or West Palm Beach? Any recommendation or advice would be appreciated.
Thanks.
If you are an avid golfer it would be wise to at least be nearby, if not in, golfing communities in Naples. If you dont want to pay additional annual fees for the club membership or are not planning on being here full time, there are pay as you play courses but are tougher to get on during winter season. If you are planning on living here full time or part-time, I think you'll find a gated community an easier lifestyle and a great way to retire.However, i've lived homes that weren't gated and have never had any problems here.
I moved to Naples from Palm Beach County in 1994 and have never regretted it. Naples is the way to go!

Old 04-16-2011, 12:15 PM

592 posts, read 1,814,220 times
Just noticed that this thread was written in 2008! Thought I'd share that before people start answering the OP in this thread. I imagine they've long since made their decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples