Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2016, 11:47 AM

4 posts, read 5,025 times

Advertisements

Hi

We are moving to southwest FL because my husband got a job in Ft Myers. We are from Westchester NY. We have older teenagers; one is going to be a junior in college and the other is starting in august. But we still want to find a house in a family community; not with all old people. I want my kids to find people their age if at all possible when they come home for breaks. I feel like there is so much inventory and so many neighborhoods that it is very overwhelming. We want a 4 bedroom house in a nice upscale area. Budget is up to $699. Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2016, 12:56 PM

1,623 posts, read 1,705,983 times
Long daily commute from Naples to Fort Myers, especially in "season". First decision is how far do you want to live from work.

$699K sounds like a lot, but that's about what we have in a new construction home that is 3 bed/3 bath single story 2,300 sq ft. Base price plus lot up charge, plus upgrades, plus after closing finish work. Adds up real fast.

Good time to buy now, lots of incentives, prices dropping. Sales have slowed considerably.

You will get a lot more sq ft for your money house wise in Fort Myers, Estero or Bonita Springs, but keep in mind, the property taxes are higher in Lee County than they are in Collier.

Old 06-02-2016, 02:49 PM

351 posts, read 491,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njlarson View Post
We have older teenagers; one is going to be a junior in college and the other is starting in august. But we still want to find a house in a family community; not with all old people. I want my kids to find people their age if at all possible when they come home for breaks.

IMHO - Your college kids aren't likely to make friends with the kids in the new neighborhood. They will be busy with their college friends or their jobs, as will other like-aged kids. They won't be roaming the streets on their bikes looking for playmates. I completely understand what you mean by 'family community' but I would focus on your needs and likes - not theirs at this point in their lives.

Old 06-03-2016, 01:55 PM

3,848 posts, read 7,958,267 times
Hate to say it but kids their age don't hang around this town. Most can't afford to live here outside of mom and dads and leave for much younger places like Gainsville/Miami/Tampa/Orlando. FGCU will have the highest amount of younger-ish people. I don't see a lot of college age kids around. The town is mainly 65+. That's the highest demographic and with only 1 real school to choose from in Estero (I might add FGCU does not offer a lot of majors so unless there is something specific most aren't staying.

Commute to Ft. Myers will be a nightmare in season. Just a point of reference my daughters school is 2.8 miles from my house. Out of season it takes 7-8 mins.. In season I averaged around 20-25 mins.. 1 way.. Whatever your commute will be add 45-60 mins easy.

Old 06-06-2016, 04:18 PM

214 posts, read 285,887 times
Whether your kids make friends in your new neighborhood or not, there are many of us who just don't want an "over 55" community. We prefer an area with a mix of families and, yes, a few retirees and snowbirds for good measure.

Also be aware that some of the 55+ communities have convenience that prohibit anyone UNDER 55 (even your children!) from staying in residence more than "x" days per year. So that son/daughter home for summer from college may put your at the mercy of the HOA. Yikes! I read about this a few years ago when Sun City residents' adult children moved in after losing their homes to foreclosure. So keep your eyes open!

Looking at a commute to Ft. Myers, I'm partial to the areas off Immokalee Rd. - exit 111 off I-75. In your price range you will find existing home options in Pebblebrooke, Heritage Greens, and Saturnia Lakes, for starters. A bit further west, off Livingston Rd., friends of ours are very happy living in DeLa Sol. All are family communities that will get the ball rolling for you.

Old 06-07-2016, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnc99 View Post
Whether your kids make friends in your new neighborhood or not, there are many of us who just don't want an "over 55" community. We prefer an area with a mix of families and, yes, a few retirees and snowbirds for good measure.

Also be aware that some of the 55+ communities have convenience that prohibit anyone UNDER 55 (even your children!) from staying in residence more than "x" days per year. So that son/daughter home for summer from college may put your at the mercy of the HOA. Yikes! I read about this a few years ago when Sun City residents' adult children moved in after losing their homes to foreclosure. So keep your eyes open!

Looking at a commute to Ft. Myers, I'm partial to the areas off Immokalee Rd. - exit 111 off I-75. In your price range you will find existing home options in Pebblebrooke, Heritage Greens, and Saturnia Lakes, for starters. A bit further west, off Livingston Rd., friends of ours are very happy living in DeLa Sol. All are family communities that will get the ball rolling for you.
Thank you so much! This is very helpful. I liked several homes in Saturnia Lakes but then I was warned off buying "east of 75" Far from the beach and difficult for resale. What are your thoughts about that? Although I did also hear that there are several family communities there because of the proximity to the hs. So we are so confused! Also 55+ are 100% out of the question for all the reasons you mention as well as because we are not 55

Old 06-07-2016, 06:34 AM

1,623 posts, read 1,705,983 times
There are a lot of very nice, newer communities east of 75. It is not that far from the beach. Once you get to Collier, it starts to feel a bit far out. Anything before that is fair game in my opinion. If you are close to the beach, you have to deal with storm surge, flood insurance etc.

I don't know who told you not to buy east of 75, but that's pretty off to me. You will pay more to be west of 75 because it's closer to the beach. Does an extra 5 or 10 minute drive make those houses worth a lot more?

Resale is based on the market and how your house is priced. Right now, it's a buyer's market. Folks are having a hard time selling because there is too much inventory. Prices have dropped from the peak last year.

I say this to everyone posting questions here: you need to come to Naples, get a realtor and spend a week or more getting to know the area and looking at what's available.

Old 06-07-2016, 04:24 PM

We are east of 75, and I have said in other threads in this forum that very very quickly, the 951/Immokalee corner is going to be in the middle of everything - not at the edge. Future development is slated to stretch w-a-y east of here. Personally, I like being closer to 75, and the area close to Gulf Coast High School is NOT in a storm surge zone - which is a factor for your storm preparation, homeowners insurance, and general peace of mind!

We looked at Saturnia when it was brand new and I was so impressed! Less impressed now, to be honest, because of the short driveways and tiny side yards. We are in Heritage Greens which I like much better in the long run. Heritage Greens gives you the atmosphere of a golf community without the fees because Arrowhead is a public course. It is a great fit for us - we chose a coach home style condo since our kids are grown, we are still working, and wanted minimal maintenance/yard work.

We are exactly 8 miles from the beach - a 12 minute drive, usually. 2 miles to I-75 interchange, Target, Walmart, Publix. 15 minutes to the beautiful public library. 10 min. to North Collier Regional Park. 20 minutes to Waterside Shops, and about 30 minutes to 5th Ave S (which I rarely "need" to visit). NCH has opened an emergency medical facility 2 miles away at Collier/Immokalee Rd. (LOL another place I rarely need to visit!)

Many properties (in our price range) west of 75 are a bit older, which didn't appeal to me. Been there done that on refurbishing a home - never again! While traffic is traffic all over the place, I am grateful we didn't opt for something close to the Airport/Pine Ridge area - which is always busy. Frankly, Pine Ridge and anything is always busy! Locals avoid Pine Ridge, 41, and sections of Airport Pulling Rd as much as possible, especially during season. Just too busy!

I am not a realtor but watch the market carefully (I do freelance writing and blog for a couple of realtors locally) - the inventory of homes is up a bit right now, and the market is stabilizing so it may be a good time to take a good look around. Let me know if you'd like a connection to a top flight realtor who knows the ins and outs really well. But yes, come down and spend some time on a "look see" type of trip. It's the only way to get the feel of various neighborhoods!

Old 06-07-2016, 04:41 PM

One more thought!

Compared to traffic in the greater NY area - you won't have ANY complaints about Naples' traffic volume. Bad drivers, yes, but this is nothing like NY, Philly, Chicago, DC, etc.

Old 06-09-2016, 04:40 AM

Thank you so much! This is' so helpful. I also looked at saturnia lakes homes a lot before I realized about the whole "East of 75 " debate. My husband agrees with you that in time as developing pushes east these developments close to 75 will no longer seem remotely far. As I've said even though my kids are young college students we DO NOT want an "old" community. I'd love a mix. What is the range would you say in your community, Heritage Greens? And Saturnia Lakes? Are they both family communities?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnc99 View Post
We are east of 75, and I have said in other threads in this forum that very very quickly, the 951/Immokalee corner is going to be in the middle of everything - not at the edge. Future development is slated to stretch w-a-y east of here. Personally, I like being closer to 75, and the area close to Gulf Coast High School is NOT in a storm surge zone - which is a factor for your storm preparation, homeowners insurance, and general peace of mind!

We looked at Saturnia when it was brand new and I was so impressed! Less impressed now, to be honest, because of the short driveways and tiny side yards. We are in Heritage Greens which I like much better in the long run. Heritage Greens gives you the atmosphere of a golf community without the fees because Arrowhead is a public course. It is a great fit for us - we chose a coach home style condo since our kids are grown, we are still working, and wanted minimal maintenance/yard work.

We are exactly 8 miles from the beach - a 12 minute drive, usually. 2 miles to I-75 interchange, Target, Walmart, Publix. 15 minutes to the beautiful public library. 10 min. to North Collier Regional Park. 20 minutes to Waterside Shops, and about 30 minutes to 5th Ave S (which I rarely "need" to visit). NCH has opened an emergency medical facility 2 miles away at Collier/Immokalee Rd. (LOL another place I rarely need to visit!)

Many properties (in our price range) west of 75 are a bit older, which didn't appeal to me. Been there done that on refurbishing a home - never again! While traffic is traffic all over the place, I am grateful we didn't opt for something close to the Airport/Pine Ridge area - which is always busy. Frankly, Pine Ridge and anything is always busy! Locals avoid Pine Ridge, 41, and sections of Airport Pulling Rd as much as possible, especially during season. Just too busy!

I am not a realtor but watch the market carefully (I do freelance writing and blog for a couple of realtors locally) - the inventory of homes is up a bit right now, and the market is stabilizing so it may be a good time to take a good look around. Let me know if you'd like a connection to a top flight realtor who knows the ins and outs really well. But yes, come down and spend some time on a "look see" type of trip. It's the only way to get the feel of various neighborhoods!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples