Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2016, 02:10 AM

146 posts, read 333,915 times

Advertisements

.Sbapasto....

You found out Naples was not "your spot". I don't understand why you put all the blame on other people or anyone who advised you. However old you are or were when you chose it, did you not come here, visit, trust your heart and instincts and listen to what was right for you? Some people come here and see $$ dollar signs, think with so many weallthy people , they are gonna just slam bam ride the gold gravy train. When I came here....uh way back...76.... I saw a beautiful, untouched gorgeous beach. I could see there was no crime to speak of, no pollution, I could ride a bike most everywhere. Maybe there were some older grumpy people, but there are trade offs everywhere. My priorities were those. I did not care if I paid an extra quarter for a pineapple. Having lived in many countries and experienced a lot of different living conditions all over the world....to me this was the best place I could find. ....and I looked around, several times.

Yes, there are superficial people anywhere there is money. But you know people with money are smart with their investments. They seek to invest in places that are beautiful. They seek places where nature has provided it's most wonderful places to be. They choose to live there because they can.

Yet....there are those of us who are not wealthy but for reasons of our own, would also like to live in such an environment. Sadly it also draws a lot of gold diggers, seeking to get rich off wealthy people, money grubbers not willing to pay the price of living in this kind of zip code.

Suck it up Buttercup. Maybe you came here thinking it was an easy ride...and you squeal because prices are higher at Publix. Cry me a river. Of course it is more expensive. Publix has to pay a higher rent here. And it gets passed down.
Go live in the boonies somewhere it's dirt cheap to live. Try it out. Will you be happy there either?

And NCH saved my life. Last year I had heart surgery and had the finest doctors take care of me that I could ask for. I would have never wanted to be anywhere else . They saved my life.

I think Naples spit you out because you lack appreciation for all that is natural, wonderful, beautiful and maybe you came here for the wrong reasons.

Just saying. ....and I LOVE Publix. I do not care if I pay an extra quarter for something because overall...I get great fresh food ALL YEAR LONG. Please go back to wherever you think is a better deal. We do not need any more grumpy transplants who expect Utopia without making any effort to contribute to make it so.

Can we give you to cheese to go with that Whine?
...oops maybe the cheese was too expensive here. Can we give you some Velveeta with that Whine?
TL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2016, 05:29 AM

14,813 posts, read 11,958,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Hmm,my daughter in law's parents spend about 8 months a year on Marco Island, anything beyond the common cold they are on a plane to NYC to their doctors up there. Not sure if they are not pleased or just have not really looked.

I live in the cape and 5 months after moving here my husband was diagnosed with cancer. Sent him to Florida cancer center here in the cape and after 2 visits, I said we are either going back north and you are going to Sloan or we are scheduling at Moffitt. Might just have been that office as they are all over and linked with 21st Century Oncology but they were awful. They are nothing but a cancer business.

I now travel to either Moffitt in Tampa or VA in St Pete.
Sounds as though your DIL's parents just prefer to go back to NY for their medical care, hardly an indictment on the quality of medical care here in Florida. In their shoes I would probably do the same, why would I spend my vacation and leisure time at Marco Island in docs offices or healthcare facilities when I have established medical relationships in my home location?

I have no personal experience with 21st Oncology, but saying they are "awful" is just a stated opinion, hardly documented facts or statistics on which to base the condemnation of the medical establishment in Florida as yet another reason to bash Florida.

I have lived in Florida for 40 years, and have had what I consider excellent medical care here, so cannot understand all those statements, again based in what? about how bad it is in the state.

My best to your husband. I'm sure that if I had a diagnosis of cancer I would take it to a regional cancer center too, as IMO these facilities and medical professionals are more likely to have better options, protocols for treatment and better outcomes than smaller community doctor's offices and other heathcare facilities. Moffitt has a good reputation, and I am glad you didn 't feel you had to leave the state for your husband's care.

Old 09-12-2016, 08:58 AM

113 posts, read 284,742 times
Travellight-

Sorry you feel so inspired as to attack me. You dont know me and dont know anything about my life, past or present . Perhaps you should reread my posts. They are not attacking of anything or anyone -- they are my opinion of an area. My opinion. Thank God I have the right to give that even if my opinion differs from yours. Grumpy transplants? I do believe that statement is ironic considering your post LOL. Grumpy or whiney are 2 names Ive never been called. And blaming people? I do believe my post says the people on this forum were wise.

I hope your day (life?) gets better and you go out in the sunshine and enjoy the town you love as opposed to misreading my post and taking the time to spit poison darts.

Old 09-12-2016, 09:10 AM

13,366 posts, read 28,606,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbapasto View Post
Travellight-

Sorry you feel so inspired as to attack me. You dont know me and dont know anything about my life, past or present . Perhaps you should reread my posts. They are not attacking of anything or anyone -- they are my opinion of an area. My opinion. Thank God I have the right to give that even if my opinion differs from yours. Grumpy transplants? I do believe that statement is ironic considering your post LOL. Grumpy or whiney are 2 names Ive never been called. And blaming people? I do believe my post says the people on this forum were wise.

I hope your day (life?) gets better and you go out in the sunshine and enjoy the town you love as opposed to misreading my post and taking the time to spit poison darts.
Some people are just plain old mean.
I didn't take your post as bashing,you were just stating you tried it and it's not for you. Nothing wrong with that.

Old 09-12-2016, 09:10 AM

126 posts, read 268,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbapasto View Post
Travellight-

+1

Old 09-12-2016, 09:24 AM

13,366 posts, read 28,606,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Sounds as though your DIL's parents just prefer to go back to NY for their medical care, hardly an indictment on the quality of medical care here in Florida. In their shoes I would probably do the same, why would I spend my vacation and leisure time at Marco Island in docs offices or healthcare facilities when I have established medical relationships in my home location?

I have no personal experience with 21st Oncology, but saying they are "awful" is just a stated opinion, hardly documented facts or statistics on which to base the condemnation of the medical establishment in Florida as yet another reason to bash Florida.

I have lived in Florida for 40 years, and have had what I consider excellent medical care here, so cannot understand all those statements, again based in what? about how bad it is in the state.

My best to your husband. I'm sure that if I had a diagnosis of cancer I would take it to a regional cancer center too, as IMO these facilities and medical professionals are more likely to have better options, protocols for treatment and better outcomes than smaller community doctor's offices and other heathcare facilities. Moffitt has a good reputation, and I am glad you didn 't feel you had to leave the state for your husband's care.
If you read and understood my post, I clearly stated didn't know if they were unhappy with the medical care here or just hadn't really looked.

As far as Fl Cancer, if you think it's acceptable to have a 4 pm appt and don't see the doctor until 6:30 PM, and this happened several times, knock your self out. Or sitting in exam room for 45 minutes and when checking when the doc was coming, told the doc left for lunch.

FL Cancer and 21st Century are connected. They are IMO, nothing but a cancer business, over scheduling,hence the long wait and once you are actually in exam room it's get them in get them out.
Ifyou go to 21st Centurys web site they have an investor page...

Bottom line some people like my husband love it here and others like o/p do not. I didn't take her post as bashing, just stating her reasons for leaving.

Last edited by njkate; 09-12-2016 at 09:47 AM..

Old 09-12-2016, 04:54 PM

18 posts, read 22,516 times
Ive lived in Naples for 17 years. Ive watched it become a town with upscale shops, fancy eateries, beautiful boutiques and wealth that rivals Beverly Hills. What it lost is its charm. What it lost is its former heart and soul. Gone is the quaint coastal seaside town with friendly locals replaced by arrogant big fish from their small ponds. I assume some of you lovely folks would consider me a "non local" as 17 years may not be enough to meet your bar of being able to have an opinion or maybe that Im a "whiner" who can only pay for Velveeta -- but, sadly, you type of folks are the ones who run the kind hearted "locals" and friendly visitors out of town.

Old 09-12-2016, 06:12 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,832,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seeshelly View Post
Ive lived in Naples for 17 years. Ive watched it become a town with upscale shops, fancy eateries, beautiful boutiques and wealth that rivals Beverly Hills. What it lost is its charm. What it lost is its former heart and soul. Gone is the quaint coastal seaside town with friendly locals replaced by arrogant big fish from their small ponds. I assume some of you lovely folks would consider me a "non local" as 17 years may not be enough to meet your bar of being able to have an opinion or maybe that Im a "whiner" who can only pay for Velveeta -- but, sadly, you type of folks are the ones who run the kind hearted "locals" and friendly visitors out of town.
Lol, 17 yr resident of Naples? You've probably been there longer than any others! 17 yrs in FL, much less Naples is considered a native in my book lol.

Old 09-13-2016, 02:02 PM

121 posts, read 160,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seeshelly View Post

Very well said! I lived in Naples for over 35 years and my wife lived there over 40 years. The changes we saw were astounding. Everyone knew the town would grow but most old timers had no concept of what could happen to Naples. While some growth is good for a community what happened in Naples was inexcusable in my opinion. The developers were allowed to run amok. The locals lost total control of the community to outside interests and big business. Meanwhile the local working families were pushed aside for the "beautiful people" and their McMansions. There was a time that working/middle class families could afford to live in and around Naples. There were even neighborhoods within the city limits of Naples that were pretty affordable. But alas those days are long gone. Most of the working people have been forced to live far out of town either to the east or into Lee County.

We ended up leaving once we retired. We now live in a place that is affordable with nice people, much like Naples use to be. We are not alone. Many of the natives and long time residents have bailed out or plan on doing so when they are logistical able to do so.

Naples has lost it's charm and the things that made Naples unique. Most of all Naples sold it's soul to the highest bidder.

Old 09-14-2016, 09:20 AM

731 posts, read 757,031 times
Fltaz: What you have described about Naples is very true for many cities in the United States. I can only imagine what Naples was 35 to 40 years ago. I live on Long Island and can tell you that 35 to 40 years ago it was very different than today. More people, more building and more expensive. For people on Long Island that don't like it here anymore, they move to a location that suits their budget and lifestyle better. It doesn't mean that Long Island is horrible. It just means it's no longer for them. Same as Naples. Just because some people don't like it anymore, doesn't mean it's bad there.

When I tell friends and family that we are retiring to Naples Florida I get two responses. Most people love Naples. Some people just plan out hate Florida. To each their own!

If someone wants to live in a city in Florida that is quiet and affordable, Naples is not that place. I happen to like all the stores and restaurants, etc. in Naples. But I totally get that it is too crowded and costly for some people. Again, doesn't mean its a bad place.

It sounds like you have found your retirement spot. May I ask where? Congrats to you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples