Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2016, 03:19 PM

122 posts, read 197,261 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by movin1 View Post
We traded miserable winters, rainy springs, hot humid summers and cold and damp falls in Illinois for hot and humid half the year and pretty darn nice the other half in Naples. The older we got, the less we could tolerate cold and just downright hated snow.

I much prefer not having to put on lots of clothes every time I want to go outdoors. I have barely worn anything other than shorts and short sleeve shirts since we moved here. Back in Illinois, it was a constant issue trying to figure out how to stay warm and dry. Different weight coats for every possible scenario from just a windbreaker to 20 pound shearlings to be able to brave the wind chills.

We got rid of a closet full of coats and haven't worn any more than a few times here.
I'm from Illinois. For the record I LOVE the weather in Chicago from spring to fall. I understand everyone interprets weather differently according to their comfort levels but I totally love the seasons here, except of coarse winter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2016, 03:32 PM

1,203 posts, read 1,803,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripower455 View Post
I still can't fathom how being cold in other places makes 95 squared, with heat indexes well into the 100's, for 7-8 months, comfortable. They both suck.

Naples is a nice place, but the fact remains that the weather is downright miserable from late April til November. This makes outside activities very uncomfortable, unless you're in water.

There's a reason so many people are snowbirds, and it's not just the lousy winter weather up north. The weather here in the summer is equally tough to take, unless, of course, you never go outside.
All depends on what you like. I never minded the heat and humidity, even often working outdoors at RSW airport (living in SW FL year round). We were in Savannah for a week or so in early August. Dewpoints up around 77F and temps in 90s. Just not a problem for me or my wife, she likes the heat and humidity even more than I do. As long as I have AC for sleeping, we're good. I realize we're different than many people, especially here in cold New England. I'll take 92F and humid over 50-55F and below any day, and everyday.

This summer was warmer than usual which was nice. Often, the summers here are a joke and too cold. Different strokes for different folks...

Old 09-26-2016, 03:47 PM

1,394 posts, read 2,069,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruins_Fan View Post
All depends on what you like. I never minded the heat and humidity, even often working outdoors at RSW airport (living in SW FL year round). We were in Savannah for a week or so in early August. Dewpoints up around 77F and temps in 90s. Just not a problem for me or my wife, she likes the heat and humidity even more than I do. As long as I have AC for sleeping, we're good. I realize we're different than many people, especially here in cold New England. I'll take 92F and humid over 50-55F and below any day, and everyday.

This summer was warmer than usual which was nice. Often, the summers here are a joke and too cold. Different strokes for different folks...

Of course. If you enjoy "sauna", you'll love it here. Personally, I hate having my clothes wet through from sweat every minute I am outside, which is every single day for 6-7 months at least. Just miserable.

FWIW, I am just finishing up my 28th summer in Naples, and this has been been the worst I can recall. Even last winter sucked, as it never really cooled off as much as it usually does, and our electric bill is proof.

I'm hoping we get some nice cold fronts this year, so I can actually kill the AC and open the windows on the house for more than the half a dozen days we were able to last winter!

Old 09-26-2016, 03:56 PM

1,203 posts, read 1,803,086 times
Quote:
Of course. If you enjoy "sauna", you'll love it here. Personally, I hate having my clothes wet through from sweat every minute I am outside, which is every single day for 6-7 months at least. Just miserable.

FWIW, I am just finishing up my 28th summer in Naples, and this has been been the worst I can recall. Even last winter sucked, as it never really cooled off as much as it usually does, and our electric bill is proof.

I'm hoping we get some nice cold fronts this year, so I can actually kill the AC and open the windows on the house for more than the half a dozen days we were able to last winter!
I don't sweat a ton in the heat unless I'm really exerting myself. I will say I never sweat as much as I did cutting a big lawn with a push mower in July/August in FL! Still though, then I'd go sit in the shade with a nice cold iced tea and I was good in no time. I can get comfortable pretty easily on a hot and humid day with a cold drink. When it's freezing out and I'm trying to clear my driveway of 1-2 ft of snow, that just plain sucks. Two years ago with 8 ft. of snow was pure hell...absolute torture in my book.

Old 09-26-2016, 10:26 PM

121 posts, read 160,777 times
Quote:

The summers in SWFL have gotten longer and hotter over the years. Back in the 70's and 80's the AC was on from May until about early October. The last few years we lived there it was on just about year round other than a couple of days here and there when we actually got a decent cold front. The winters have gotten warmer also over the years. The constant heat and humidity was one of the big reasons we left. You can have it. We are actually enjoying the change of seasons again here in Tennessee.

Old 09-27-2016, 12:44 PM

1,161 posts, read 1,399,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruins_Fan View Post

After working outside all year in the northeast for 35 yrs I have not grown tired of the humidity at all. Playing golf May-Sept anytime I choose for less than $50 round is kickin'. The odd part is I go back up Dec-Feb. Watching snow sure beats working in it. Cold hurts. Humidity doesn't.

Old 10-15-2016, 09:36 AM

1,823 posts, read 2,257,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fltaz View Post
The summers in SWFL have gotten longer and hotter over the years. Back in the 70's and 80's the AC was on from May until about early October. The last few years we lived there it was on just about year round other than a couple of days here and there when we actually got a decent cold front. The winters have gotten warmer also over the years. The constant heat and humidity was one of the big reasons we left. You can have it. We are actually enjoying the change of seasons again here in Tennessee.
It sounds like SW Florida has been impacted by climate change, which could easily be a natural long term pattern having nothing to do with mankind. I've live in Minnesota in the Twin Cities area for over 60 years. The climate has absolutely changed in the past 20 years. The winters aren't as bad as they used to be 20 to 60 years ago, although I'm much less tolerant of the Minnesota winters. We used to get one to one and a half straight weeks in late January or early February where the low was -20 to -25 and the high was about -5. It was subzero for 7 to 10 straight days, every year, like clockwork. In the past 20 years, its subzero for 1 to 3 days, straight, rarely subzero for 3 days straight.

There's less snow than there used to be. People with snowmobiles used to ride them in southern Minnesota most of the winters. In the past two decades, people have to trailer to snowmobiles to northern Minnesota to ride them. Going back more than two decades ago, seeing people trailering there snowmobiles was rare, now, it's common.

The summers aren't as hot and humid as the used to be more than two decades ago. The east metro Twin Cities area has been growing area 5A for about 20 years, which is central Iowa. It used to be growing area 4B across the whole Twin Cities area over 20 years ago. It's not that uncommon to find zone 5 plant for sale at garden centers. Going back 20 years, you'd never see zone 5 or higher sold in garden centers, unless they were sold as indoor plants.

But things can't always be ideal. You have to make compromises in life. Florida's climate isn't as nice as Hawaii's climate. Maybe we'll end up in Florida for awhile after retirement, long enough to pull money out of the pretax retirement accounts in a income tax free state, to minimize the taxes, then move again to a state with a better climate, that has state income taxes. One thing for sure is we won't have to put up with the Minnesota winter anymore in 3 years, even though the Minnesota winters aren't as bad as they used to be. I hate the change of seasons. The fall colors are only a continuous reminder that another nasty, cold winter is coming. Wherever you decide to live, there are up sides and down sides. No place is perfect. But some places absolutely are better than other places.

Old 11-07-2016, 07:19 PM

81 posts, read 118,844 times
I agree, Florida ain't what it used to be. Developers made sure to ruin that. Now it's just a concrete mess with bland chain restaurants & big box stores.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples