Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2017, 05:14 PM

1 posts, read 1,965 times

Advertisements

Hi! My husband and I have a 14 year old son and we are full time residents in Michigan. We currently own a vacation condo in Bonita Springs and normally visit at least once every six weeks and spend all of our vacation time there. We have decided we want to sell our condo and purchase a new home that will hopefully be our retirement home in the next few years.

We are in our mid to late 40's and are very active, so looking for a place with lots of amenities- preferably with beach club availability. Also, want a place that is fun to bring our son - he still has 4 years with us until he's off to college! We love Bonita Springs, but also love Naples. We've been looking in Naples for about a year now, and hands down Bonita offers more bang for the buck when it comes to just housing- in my opinion. Saying that, we have found a couple homes in Mediterra that we think might fit our lifestyle, and budget ( $1-1.5k).

We have visited Mediterra a few times and it is definitely a beautiful place and felt like it had a younger vibe. After talking with a few naples friends ( realtors included), it seems everyone has a strong opinion, good and bad. The negatives about Mediterra were basically location and which side of the street you lived on. Apparently to live behind the main gate west of road is much better. (?) Also, the fees are expensive! I think my husband might prefer to stay in Bonita, but I think that's because it's less expensive.

I'd appreciate any thoughts , good or bad from local residents.

Thanks!

Last edited by Myramax; 04-27-2017 at 06:23 PM.. Reason: Spelling error
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2017, 09:56 PM

146 posts, read 335,467 times
Hi.....If you are considering a move that has consideration for your teenage son, I can't imagine that Mediterra would lend itself to keeping him happy. I would think you should spend time in Bonita, doing regular things like going to the grocery store, parks, beaches and see it feels comfortable. Teenagers prefer the beach near the Pier and near Lowdermilk park and the Beach Club (volleyball, frisbee, just hanging out)

I have clients that live in Mediterra and yes, it's beautiful within the gates. Outside the gates....not so much.

TL

Old 04-28-2017, 05:06 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,232,217 times
When you look for bang for the buck also consider that property tax rates are higher in Lee than Collier.

Old 05-03-2017, 08:49 PM

69 posts, read 74,684 times
Just so you know, two thirds of Mediterra is in Collier county and the northern third is in Lee county. All the homes have Naples' addresses. Markjames68 is correct when he says the taxes are higher in Lee (15.4386 mills) than in Collier (10.9530 mills). On a $1.5M home that would be a difference of $6,800 per year. Therefore, you will not be getting more bang for your buck by buying in Mediterra, as it is a Naples' address. Buy in the Lee county side of Mediterra and you will be penalized almost $7K a year.

If I were you I would check out Tiburon in Naples. It also has a beach club, it's called the Ritz Carlton. Both Tiburon and Mediterra are comparable in amenities except that Tiburon is more affordable. Tiburon has a 27,000 sq. ft clubhouse, Mediterra's is 25,000 sq.ft. Both have 36 holes of golf, tennis, fitness centers, dining, resort style pool and spa. The "Signature" membership ($25K) gives you privileges at both Tiburon and the Ritz Carlton Naples including pool, tennis, dining, beach cabanas and daily round trip transportation to several Naples area beaches via deluxe motor coach. Complimentary beach towel service, bottled water, sunscreen and concierge service included. The Sports and Beach membership at Mediterra will set you back $45K for the same. BTW, Golf membership at Mediterra is $130K, Tiburon is $70K.

Tiburon is centrally located in Naples and is near the Sun & Fun lagoon and North Collier Regional Park which your son would enjoy. Tiburon and The Ritz both have youth programs also.

Last edited by JWatral2016; 05-03-2017 at 09:07 PM..

Old 05-04-2017, 05:51 AM

1,623 posts, read 1,705,983 times
Wife and I just checked out Mediterra, Talis Park and Quail West.

We thought Quail West was the best of the three, but that's our taste. Quail West homes are more modern, not so old school Tuscan as Mediterra and Talis Park.

Not sure how it compares price-wise with the others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples