Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2017, 09:10 AM

3,417 posts, read 7,754,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fltaz View Post
I concur with your observations. I don't care what anyone thinks or believes. The summers in Naples have gotten much longer and hotter over the years. We I first moved to Naples in the mid 70's the summer was from June through September. Not anymore, it last about 8-9 months of the year. The winters such as they are have also gotten a lot warmer than they use to be. Back years ago you could almost count on at least one or two frosts every year. When was the last time there was a frost or freeze there? The heat and the humidity was one of the primary reasons we choose to leave Naples after retirement. I don't miss it at all. We are enjoying the four seasons once again.
I agree also with this. Summers hotter and longer. Winters warmer and shorter. We couldn't take the heat any longer. Snowbirds also coming earlier and leaving later although that phenomenon seems to have stagnated the past few years.

Retired and left Naples this past January after living here since 1986. Now travel full time in our RV.

Back to the OP....one thing missing here is your housing budget and rough annual income. We assume since you have picked a development you can afford to live there and have sufficient income to live in Naples comfortably.

The other thing is don't underestimate how much golf costs, especially in the winter.

We don't need exact numbers but some idea that you have looked at these costs (especially housing), otherwise we are leading you down a rabbit hole without accurate information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2017, 10:28 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,108,251 times
Good point about golf costs. For a private club there is a joining fee (unless part of a new community and waived by the developer), annual dues, cart or trail fee, etc.

Old 05-08-2017, 12:53 PM

731 posts, read 757,863 times
I think if you've lived most of your life in one place, a lot of people are ready for a change. There's good and bad in all areas. Most of the people DH and I have met in Naples since we moved here full time, love it! Of course, that doesn't go for everyone.

We lived on Long Island most of our life. We had a wonderful life there. But, we were looking for a change. We were well aware of the weather in Naples since we have been coming here for the past nine years, mostly in off season. We looked at the good and bad and decided the good outweighed the bad. And for us, there really isn't much bad here.

I think the number one thing to consider is if Naples fits your budget. If it does, good for you! If it doesn't, look else where.

Obviously, if you can't take the heat, don't move to Florida. It's that simple. If you like the warm weather rather than snow, Naples might just be for you!

Old 05-09-2017, 09:46 AM

82 posts, read 154,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripower455 View Post
Mine is too.

But..............

This current cool weather is not what we've been dealing with for most of the last winter, nor is it typical for May. It's a nice bonus though, and I am not complaining. Well, at least until tomorrow or the next day when it's 90 squared again, and will be until the first cold front moves through, next January.

When it is 85+ degrees out, do you still leave your AC off and house open?
Once the inside reaches 80 degrees I put the air on - usually to 78 - last place I loved in NY was a brick co-op apartment that didn't have central air, so I'm used to a warmer inside temp. Even now its 81 out and 78 inside, so still comfortable for me. Plus its a low humidity day today.....

Old 05-22-2017, 07:36 AM

7 posts, read 11,195 times
Our move date is set! Our house in CT is closing on July 10th and the house we bought in Monterrey is set to close July 12th!

We will have just enough time to get settled in before my little one heads off to Pelican Marsh for Kindergarten.

We are excited and ready for a new adventure!

Old 05-22-2017, 07:40 AM

5,016 posts, read 7,395,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjlljr View Post
Our move date is set! Our house in CT is closing on July 10th and the house we bought in Monterrey is set to close July 12th!

We will have just enough time to get settled in before my little one heads off to Pelican Marsh for Kindergarten.

Congratulations and best of luck!!!

Old 05-23-2017, 09:52 AM

731 posts, read 757,863 times
Congrats! I know you'll love your new life in Naples!

Old 05-24-2017, 10:25 AM

3,847 posts, read 7,920,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjlljr View Post

AAhh Pelican Marsh Elem.. So good we opted to home school after kindergarten..

Old 05-24-2017, 11:42 AM

94 posts, read 199,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
Its becoming a running theme with people leaving. Myself, my sister, my mother, both my brothers, my father, my sister in law and aunt have all left Florida. Main complaint.. weather.. Btw we've all lived here 30+ years. I can't tell you the countless number of friends that have left. Most left for Cali, Colorado, Tennessee, and the Carolina's (which is where we are heading in a few weeks ourselves. Unless you've lived here since the early 80's you just don't get the change that has happened. Its really a huge HUGE difference. I hear people talk of the "season change" they can feel here now and I question their sanity lol. We had very distinct changes decades ago. Now I haven't turned my A/C off for maybe 4 days in a one year cycle. Christmas was miserably hot this past year. Nothing like getting that new bike and going outside to sweat to death while trying it out and coming in to have hot chocolate

Just curious where in NC you're headed to? If it's for better weather, it must be somewhere in western NC.
Between the heat and the never ending influx of snowbirds, the misery index in Florida is getting worse...unfortunately.

Old 05-24-2017, 03:55 PM

92 posts, read 99,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueIt View Post
Just curious where in NC you're headed to? If it's for better weather, it must be somewhere in western NC.
Between the heat and the never ending influx of snowbirds, the misery index in Florida is getting worse...unfortunately.

Geez, I cant wait to retire there but some of these opinions make me think it's the worst decision to consider.

Can't be that bad, can it?

Here in Chicago this month we've had an 86 degree day followed by a 48 degree day, rain, blustery cold, miserable weather.

Almost a week with no sun, except for a few hours here and there. I think we hit 60 today. Cloudy,rainy, Oregon weather lol.

I'll take your misery instead when I start collecting my pension and SS. Then I can be a cranky old man and complain about the young 'uns and snowbirds and heat, all the while sipping a cold ice tea outside on my lanai around my pool there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples