Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2017, 07:59 AM

20 posts, read 26,607 times

Advertisements

I know this question gets asked a lot, but here goes....

Let's say I buy a piece of land that previously had a house on it (so theoretically has hook ups to city, etc).

I know what the architect costs.

I'm looking to build a 3500 sf mid to high end home, but fairly minimalist and modern. No fancy moldings, with pretty basic wall structure and a lot of open concept. Minimal built ins if any. No fancy electrical or communication systems built in. Let's say 3 bedrooms and 3 full baths.

I've renovated kitchens before, and know that the kitchen and baths can be done at mid-range pricing to get the modern look I want. Midrange hardwood or tile throughout. 2 car garage. Vaulted or high ceilings in some rooms. Lots of large windows. Might be in a moderate flood risk area, so would need to be slightly elevated. Even though a lot of this describes a low to midrange home, I gather "modern" building has a cost premium?

Instead of giving me a price per square foot, could you give me an approximate idea of what this might cost in total? Price per square foot is so deceiving because an 1800 sf house probably has the same number of kitchens and baths as a 3500 sf house....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2017, 09:49 AM

1,624 posts, read 1,707,876 times
All builders base price per square foot. An 1800 square foot house is half the size of a 3,600 sq foot house and needs half as much raw material.

Talk to several builders about your concept and get ballpark bids. Upgrades start happening when you do high end plumbing and lighting fixtures, better cabinets etc. You have to know what the builder specs i.e. what is builder grade vs upgrade.

Size of all rooms in the 3,600 sq ft house will be bigger, more framing, bigger slab foundation, more block for exterior walls, more (large) windows etc.

"Modern" style generally means higher end interior amenities which are more expensive. If you can get a line item bids from builders and know the allowances for everything (flooring etc), you can then get your prices for what you want and see how much more or less the house might cost.

Cost of building is different in different areas (i.e Naples is probably higher than a lot of places for some reason). Realtors can tell you what the average cost per square foot has been in a community based on what has sold in the past few months. You can see what base cost per square foot is by looking at new house construction in some communities but those figures also include the land they are built on.

Last edited by movin1; 05-10-2017 at 10:47 AM..

Old 05-13-2017, 05:41 PM

331 posts, read 452,660 times
At least $400k. Closer to $450k.

Old 05-14-2017, 05:12 AM

1,624 posts, read 1,707,876 times
https://www.fixr.com/costs/build-single-family-house

http://www.homeadvisor.com/cost/arch...build-a-house/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
View detailed profiles of: