Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2017, 04:58 AM

4 posts, read 4,370 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for insight about Marco Island Charter School or Gulf View Middle for a incoming 8th grader, thoughts on these two Schools? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2017, 08:27 AM

47 posts, read 70,823 times
Default Arizona to naples

Never been past new Mexico but planning to come to naples. What
Is it like there? Also never moved out of state. Having a huge yard sale and hoping to be on the road soon.have children the same age and will be looking for schools.

Old 07-21-2017, 09:13 AM

1,627 posts, read 1,711,766 times
From June 1 to the end of September (plus maybe another month on both ends), it is 90 degrees or over with a dew point of 75 (very humid). Heat indexes of over 100 degrees. It rains every day, sometimes a lot and with thunderstorms which frighten most dogs.

The rest of the year is very nice, warm but not humid and no rain. Last year it was drought and we had fires.

Real estate dollars/square foot and rent prices are high compared to many other places.

During season, lots of tourists and traffic is heavy. Beaches are nice but can be crowded.

Property taxes are low due to the number of very expensive homes and the amount of money the county collects from the wealthy folks who own them and the tax dollars from tourism.

City is beautiful, very nicely landscaped everywhere. Lots of good restaurants. We have Whole Foods and Trader Joe's.

Basically it's a place for wealthy folks to retire and/or visit. Lots of golf courses. Many people are snowbirds (own two homes) and do not stay here year round.

Not a lot of entertainment choices (night life). Zoo and Botanical Gardens are both nice. Artis-Naples is nice (classical music, art, dance, theater etc).

Old 07-21-2017, 02:19 PM

549 posts, read 722,733 times
For the OP, I think both schools are good choices. My now 16 year old daughter went to Charter. She enjoyed it and made some good friends, now three years later they aren't "good friends to have". Luckily by being onvolved we have avoided most of the problems. I can honestly say it's been the norm for Marco Island students since the 80's. My children are 28, 25, 16 and 11 and it has never changed. Maybe something about entitlement.

Gulfview while larger provides a better cross section of students. In my opinion Gulfview would be my first choice on this end of Collier, followed by East Naples and then Charter.

I should point out that the friends at school are important but not nearly as much as parent involvement.

I can't comment on other schoold to the north except Pine Ridge Middle, an excellent school.

*Movin hit it on the head with the summary of Collier County.

Old 07-21-2017, 09:57 PM

4 posts, read 4,370 times
My husband and I have been visiting Naples for the past 20 years. We have decided to move here with Our family. Over the years I have gotten to know the town pretty well. Many of our friends have moved here as well over the years and never care to go back. No Place is perfect, every area has it's issues, but I have to say everyone who has moved here that I have talked to will never move back to where they came from, and everyone I have talked to that was born or raised here will never leave, even if they have had to go away for school, ect. Yes everywhere is not perfect, but I think people who have moved here weigh the differences betwen here and where they come from. Numbers speaks in volumes, and I would say living in Naples sure doesn't suck! I guess I have been fortunate to talk with positive and reasonable people, that look at things objectively. I know living here will be different than vacationing, but its all in what you make of it.

Old 07-22-2017, 12:30 AM

549 posts, read 722,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmtakerian View Post
My husband and I have been visiting Naples for the past 20 years. We have decided to move here with Our family. Over the years I have gotten to know the town pretty well. Many of our friends have moved here as well over the years and never care to go back. No Place is perfect, every area has it's issues, but I have to say everyone who has moved here that I have talked to will never move back to where they came from, and everyone I have talked to that was born or raised here will never leave, even if they have had to go away for school, ect. Yes everywhere is not perfect, but I think people who have moved here weigh the differences betwen here and where they come from. Numbers speaks in volumes, and I would say living in Naples sure doesn't suck! I guess I have been fortunate to talk with positive and reasonable people, that look at things objectively. I know living here will be different than vacationing, but its all in what you make of it.
Good points. I've travelled and lived quite a bit in a number of places but the one constant is that I've always maintained a home in Naples.

It's clean, quiet, safe and a good place to call home.

Old 08-07-2017, 07:18 PM

789 posts, read 785,095 times
Heck of a lot of ground between those to schools . I went to gulf view back some 48 years ago . And I am one that did leave . Not much there for the outdoorsman like it was growing up there . Been gone 20 years now partly do to developing gang and drug issues but tried of the rat race too . Theres are 22 middle schools in the county now and far to many new developed areas . If I was to move back I would look out side of the city of naples for a lot or house but still be concerned about flood zones and flood insurance so you can get a loan if needed . There are county sites to reviews schools there too . Even a call to the sheriffs officer to see if you can get some insight in to school related problems . Theres also the K-12 system .

Old 08-08-2017, 07:24 AM

32 posts, read 95,836 times
I'm curious why Marco Island schools seem to have such a poor rating on sites like GreatSchools? One of the commenters mentioned the entitlement type issues that come from a luxury area but the grades and ratings shouldn't be that low. I'm coming from Atlanta and the areas that are the most affluent tend to have the best ratings here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples