Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2015, 04:41 AM

40 posts, read 95,763 times

Advertisements

Hello!

I've have a lucrative opportunity which would require me to live in Naples for two years. I am half white and half Asian (although I do pretty much look white-some might mistake me for Hispanic because of my dark hair). My wife is an American born Asian. If you do an internet search of racism in Naples, a surprising amount of stories pop up. They're all from African Americans though. I've lived in California my whole life, which is filled with diversity, and has a very large Asian population. We both have a diverse group of friends, and never really have to think about racism while living here. I never really thought much about race (naive I know) until I visited family in rural Alabama. People stared at my wife as if she were some unknown entity (this is another story though haha).

Is there racism in Naples? I know it's not as rural as the area of Alabama that I traveled to, but are Asians generally accepted? We're both professional types, and are very clean cut looking people. I can potentially make a lot of money doing it. However, I will not put money over our safety and overall well-being. I really want to go, but I'm unsure about Naples! Is the stereotype of racism in the south/Florida blown out of proportion?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2015, 05:56 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,241,937 times
If you get any racism, it'd likely be from the very elderly who are still ignorant. But then again, these same people are nasty towards anyone under 70 because they feel they own the place.

You may get some second looks but most people that I run into here are nice. Snowbirds/transplants are generally wealthy, which usually (but not always) means better-educated, and more worldly.

I doubt very much you'd have a problem. If you did it'd be due to a few ignorant people which you will find anywhere.

Old 08-04-2015, 06:24 AM

121 posts, read 213,939 times
You won't have much if any trouble in Naples (some podunk areas of Florida the story may be a bit different). There's a large and growing asian (and indian) population here and the vast majority of people could care less what color you are. We also have asiafest every year which is great.

https://www.facebook.com/asiafestnaples

Old 08-04-2015, 07:31 AM

87 posts, read 176,414 times
I am Asian-American and grew up in Naples in the 80s and 90s. While Naples was not diverse (slightly better now but still not many Asians), I never felt unsafe or discriminated. Although I did get the the random ignorant name calling but nothing bad. I live in HK now but plan on moving back to Naples with my family in the next few years.

Old 08-04-2015, 08:18 AM

549 posts, read 722,426 times
I am married to a Filipina for almost 11 years now. If you know anything about their culture, you will know that we have a ton of Filipino friends, ok maybe 2 tons. There is a pretty good sized group of Asians here but I would think that most tend to be Vietnamese, Chinese, Filipino or Korean. We also have a pretty good assortment of Vietnamese friends too. My wife also does "a balikbayan" service so at present, I have over 400+ Filipino families in my cell phone contacts between Lee and Collier Counties. (decent sample size I guess)

In fact, I've lived here my entire life (44 years) and I only know of two Japanese people (Sue & Eddie from Tokyo Sushi).

We have two children who are mixed (Fil-Ams). They are 9 & 15 and are often confused as being Mexicans but since I've taught them both to be fluent in Spanish, it kind of works out in the end.

Having children of those ages who are involved in multiple sports and a wife who "likes" to go to places and events like the seafood festival, the beach club, parks, restaurants etc I have yet to experience any sort of racism towards them. Most of the disdain for other groups of people tend to be directed at the County, HOA's or the snowbirds.

I am pretty astute when it comes to that sort of thing as well. Being a white guy in SE Asia or Latin America I've had to develop a sense of higher awareness when traveling.

I say you should look forward to Naples. It's charming, although sometimes pretentious place that offers security, warmth and a clean environment. Employment is primarily based upon service driven goods and healthcare. The rest of your story is up to you.

*I would guess that there are about 8,000 Asians here out of a total population of 330K
-Hispanics ~ 90K
-Black ~ 30K
-White ~ 200K
-Confused ~ 20K

About half of the White people in that number above are seasonal (6+1 for tax purposes) so we're a little more blended than the stats wold like you to believe.

All of this is just my opinion, so feel free to disagree but please keep it to yourself. J/K

Last edited by Who Dat; 08-04-2015 at 09:01 AM..

Old 08-04-2015, 08:42 AM

549 posts, read 722,426 times
Sorry for the rambling disorganized post above.

Old 08-12-2015, 07:19 PM

50 posts, read 72,940 times
lol you'll be fine

Old 08-14-2015, 07:50 PM

80 posts, read 111,331 times
Compared with a lot of places in the Midwest, Naples is much more diverse.

Besides, barriers are breaking down I think. Just look at TV shows - there's diversity everywhere you look.

While I don't want to suggest this is no longer an issue in our society, I think it is less of an issue. More people take diversity as a normal part of life these days. Chances are, you may be more self conscious of it than others around you, who are not even thinking of race or ethnicity.

Old 08-17-2015, 06:24 PM

2,232 posts, read 2,117,963 times
Naples should be fine for you.

Unfortunately you won't find any authentic restaurants though. I really miss the tasty Asian cuisines that could be found in Tampa and Orlando.

Old 09-19-2017, 04:29 PM

1 posts, read 2,507 times
Lived there for 7 years. Iam a Nj borned half puerto rican citizen. Regret the mistake of living there.Naples is very racist if your not white.Sadly i have heard awful things from good people who are black or latino. Naples is a white rich peoples town. The rich sadly make the rules there and think they are better then the rest. I cant lie of the awful things that happened to me and people there, even a Ny couple of puerto rican origen got racist attacks there. The husband who was a tough Ny guy told me he had to protect his wife and told the white ignorant fool some harsh things. I who am a good american citizen, i help those in need and was raised with the belifs and toughts of americans have been treated very unjust. Blamed twice 3 times by 3 stupid white people who just by half white puerto rican appearance judged me saying i stoled something and they were all wrong. Burn in hell cause there were cameras filming. I even heard of latino mexicans who have a very good hearts got paid with fake checks, they bounced back. Naples is hell itself. Even a super cute african american Doctor who purched a pretty house in a private neighborhood and he would say i bet all the whites think iam a drug dealer, because they would look at him wierd. Happy he finally married. Nice nurse. He was a nice man. Naples is a city only for whites and those who like to pretend they do with fancy things tbey buy. Iam happy i moved back to Nj for college reasons. Never will go back to that hell hole. Glad the hurricane passed tru there. Tbey need to learn real love comes from believing in God and not in your hell money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples