Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2017, 01:11 AM

47 posts, read 70,823 times

Advertisements

im coming with 2 children , a dog and a cat. I work online but will be looking for a second job and side job as a volunteer at a womens shelter or something along that type of work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2017, 05:15 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,248,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewBegginings17 View Post
im coming with 2 children , a dog and a cat. I work online but will be looking for a second job and side job as a volunteer at a womens shelter or something along that type of work.
Hopefully your online work pays relatively well. Before you arrive doublecheck the cost of living. From what I saw Yuma is a bit more expensive than Tampa (Naples is not in database) so as long as you find housing for your budget you should have an equivalent standard of living.

Old 10-25-2017, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naplesfan View Post
Looks like you didn't do your research before you moved. I love fishing. I love the peace and quiet of Naples compared to other Florida cities. It's actually an easy place to make new friends as almost everyone comes from somewhere else. As for the gated communities you're right, they're full of senior citizens, most of whom have been successful in life. Their world does revolve around them and they paid for the privilege. Why begrudge them a happy retirement? You're also right that types of jobs are limited. It's changed a bit with Arthrex but it's still small town.

I hope you found happiness wherever you are. Regarding snooty? It's only wannabes that are snooty. Oh yea and my Callaway will kill your Ferrari.

Naplesfan

Is there a drive in movie theatre there? If it does I might move there I want my children to go to one we do not have one here. I will be coming with 2 children , a dog and a cat.

Old 10-25-2017, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
Hopefully your online work pays relatively well. Before you arrive doublecheck the cost of living. From what I saw Yuma is a bit more expensive than Tampa (Naples is not in database) so as long as you find housing for your budget you should have an equivalent standard of living.

It is expensive here, and the pay is very low because we are 20 minutes from mexico. If you do not speak Spanish its hard to find a decent job. I plan to get a second and maybe a third job when I move. I will work anywhere. I also would like to do volunteer work. I still need to decide between new jersey, new York, tampa, naples..looking for a nice place with my children and I to start new. we have had some very sad times last few years we need a change.

Old 10-26-2017, 05:29 AM

Quote:
It is expensive here, and the pay is very low because we are 20 minutes from mexico. If you do not speak Spanish its hard to find a decent job. I plan to get a second and maybe a third job when I move. I will work anywhere. I also would like to do volunteer work. I still need to decide between new jersey, new York, tampa, naples..looking for a nice place with my children and I to start new. we have had some very sad times last few years we need a change.
There is a big difference between all these places. Have you ever visited them?

I haven’t seen drive in theaters for years anywhere. But apparently further north in FL they still exist. As well as a couple near Ft Lauderdale.

Drive-in Movie Theaters of Florida

Old 10-26-2017, 12:01 PM

789 posts, read 785,095 times
Then skeeters found around the two drive-ins collier county had sure did make it hard to enjoy a movie !! Lots of steamed up windows could be found back in the '70's to keep the skeeters out !

Dade city looked like there old theater might still be in operation last time I road thru . Nice small town feel there and one of those places with a good old school dinner . Schools are only a few blocks apart too

Old 10-27-2017, 07:21 AM

3,848 posts, read 7,963,110 times
Quote:
Is there a drive in movie theatre there? If it does I might move there I want my children to go to one we do not have one here. I will be coming with 2 children , a dog and a cat.
No the last one was closed down years ago. Naples isn't exactly kids mecca. You realize its a retirement town with outrageous cost of living yes? Be prepared to pay NJ prices for an rental. We left in July and they wanted to jack our 2 bedroom apt to $1900. Two years ago we were paying $950. I'd say $1600+ for a 2 bedroom will be standard there. At least for a place you actually want to live. Be sure the HOA is kid friendly. Ours woudn't allow the kids to play outside at certain times, no chalk, no bikes in the parking lot, no throwing balls in the parking lot etc. They were allotted 2 hours every day of HOA approved play hours. Most HOAs in Naples are very strict on children and cars.

Old 10-27-2017, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
No the last one was closed down years ago. Naples isn't exactly kids mecca. You realize its a retirement town with outrageous cost of living yes? Be prepared to pay NJ prices for an rental. We left in July and they wanted to jack our 2 bedroom apt to $1900. Two years ago we were paying $950. I'd say $1600+ for a 2 bedroom will be standard there. At least for a place you actually want to live. Be sure the HOA is kid friendly. Ours woudn't allow the kids to play outside at certain times, no chalk, no bikes in the parking lot, no throwing balls in the parking lot etc. They were allotted 2 hours every day of HOA approved play hours. Most HOAs in Naples are very strict on children and cars.
Please, please just stop.

I’m actually surprised you didn’t fight the rules, because it’s been shown that many of them like banning playing outside at certain times are blatantly illegal.

Can HOA ban kids from playing in complex? - The San Diego Union-Tribune

https://www.hoaleader.com/public/Doe...e-This-One.cfm

Regulating Fun: Can an Association prevent children from playing outdoors?

Net-net, under federal fair housing laws unless they also banned adults from riding bikes in the parking lot it is discriminatory. The 2 hours of HOA play hours is DEFINITELY discriminatory and illegal.

Old 10-27-2017, 09:44 AM

3,848 posts, read 7,963,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
Please, please just stop.

I’m actually surprised you didn’t fight the rules, because it’s been shown that many of them like banning playing outside at certain times are blatantly illegal.

Can HOA ban kids from playing in complex? - The San Diego Union-Tribune

https://www.hoaleader.com/public/Doe...e-This-One.cfm

Regulating Fun: Can an Association prevent children from playing outdoors?

Net-net, under federal fair housing laws unless they also banned adults from riding bikes in the parking lot it is discriminatory. The 2 hours of HOA play hours is DEFINITELY discriminatory and illegal.
I still have the video of ALL of it. Of me literally arguing with the HOA in the middle of the street over the kids playing and her telling me she wouldn't want her kids playing outside, the parents should be following them around (yes literally following them in a car behind them as they ride their bikes) and about the restriction of 4 oclock play time. I'd be more than happy to post

Please stop telling the truth??? You ever try and fight an HOA alone?? Yah right. You think they care if it’s discriminatory? Wasn't there just a poster talking about how his HOA said he can't rent to families with children? They have a lot of power, they can foreclose you house even if youre current on your mortgage. They threatened to have us kicked out if my daughter didn't ahere to the rules. She literally was riding her skateboard in the parking lot as I sat and watched her. A whole 7 years old being a neighborhood nuisance riding her new birthday present. I did not have the time nor money to sue and entire HOA.

All the members were 65 and older , you think they’re gonna side with young parents? I can’t tell you how many times we were told to take the kids outside the complex to play. At one time I video taped the encounter to bring to the management company. They did nothing. The president was video taping the kids playing outside, her condo faced the play area. We called the police and have two reports on the complex for video taping the kids. They called the cops on us 3 times that week for the kids playing Red Rover in the parking lot. She thought she was being slick, except she forgot to turn off the light on her phone and we could see it. Took a picture and made a report right back at her. You make it as if I'm just pulling stories out my rear. I EXPERIENCED all these things in Naples while living there.

The president in season used to walk the premise once a week with a clipboard in hand inspecting porches. If you had anything that wasn’t suppose to be there you got a note. Lely implemented no kids could play outside unsupervised. Remember that? You’re nuts if you think Naples HOAs aren’t like that. A few years ago they harassed the breast cancer survivor in Regent Park for putting the pink ribbon in her window. Ahh the joys of living in North Naples

Last edited by Sweetbottoms; 10-27-2017 at 10:30 AM..

Old 10-27-2017, 11:33 AM

You’re emotionally comparing legal vs illegal activities. Yes, it is legal for the HOA board to walk around with a clipboard and look for violations. They may be asses about it but it’s not illegal.

What you clearly don’t understand is the law. You have a deluded view of Naples and think that an HOA has unlimited power. Incorrect.

What the HOA CANNOT do (at least in a non-55 and over community) is break fair housing laws. Your examples are ILLEGAL. Don’t confuse the issue with ownership and HOA repercussions (HOA can’t do anything except if you don’t pay HOA dues or fines).

Even the covenants can’t break federal law. Rules can’t be passed banning children from common areas. Rules MUST apply equally to ALL residents. Did you even READ the links I posted?

Your mistake was arguing with them after it was clear that the HOA and management company wasn’t going to do anything. Document everything and contact an attorney. Many would take the case on contingency given how egregious this is, or at least send the board a cease and desist letter noting what isn’t permitted under federal law; that might cost a couple hundred dollars. If they still persist it will look very good in a discrimination lawsuit.

The challenge for you though is to look at the problem unemotionally. And then have a plan of action. Instead, how much effort did you expend getting into a battle with them?

BTW, in Florida audio recordings are “two party”. Be careful recording conversations without permission.

Recording Phone Calls and Conversations | Digital Media Law Project
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples