Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2017, 01:25 PM
efb efb started this thread

90 posts, read 261,112 times

Advertisements

So what is the secret to getting reasonable quotes for work to be done from service providers. I am so tired of every tradesperson thinking that, just because we live in Naples, that we have all the money in the world. I am happy to pay reasonable amounts for things like painting, but the rates we have been quoted so far are head and shoulders above what I have paid in any other area of the country.

Any advice? We are year-round residents... I am handy around the house, but the high ceilings are out of my comfort zone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2017, 01:45 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,241,937 times
Are you in the heart of Naples or are you in Collier County? If the latter, use that as the location when asking for quotes. I always get a rough estimate before anything is started. And yes, I still get the Naples markup (even though I'm not in Naples proper).

The problem is that there is a lot of construction (so short supply of labor), and also seniors to be fleeced who don't know better and also who don't do any of the work themselves.

Old 11-14-2017, 03:11 PM

192 posts, read 178,773 times
Part of it is the cost of doing business has risen. From labor to supplies, insurance and everything else, it's hard to pay the hourly expenses. People have to make enough to make a profit. If they're small independent contractors check their work and bite the bullet. If they're fly by nighters, caveat emptor.

Naplesfan

Old 11-14-2017, 05:47 PM

790 posts, read 504,347 times
I've found nextdoor to be a great resource as well as this website.

Old 11-14-2017, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard818 View Post
I've found nextdoor to be a great resource as well as this website.
Agree, I’ve found a couple of people through NextDoor.

Old 11-15-2017, 05:40 AM

331 posts, read 452,838 times
Welcome to Paradise! Yes, I have received outrages quotes like $400 just for the roofer to have coffee with me and discuss a quote. $500 to cut my grass. I do live all year around and I live in the Estates so you do have to shop around period. There is an attitude that were all loaded with cash. My lanai screens needed to be replaced and the quotes were all over the place. The guy who got the job came out of the blue. Very good price but then wanted cash. Sunday afternoon and he wanted $2200 cash.

I have found good workers at a fair price on Craigs List. Maybe I'm lucky, but I have not been burned yet. We now have several guys we go to when we need something and pass their names around. Good Luck.

Old 11-15-2017, 03:18 PM
efb efb started this thread

90 posts, read 261,112 times
Thanks to all of you! I will check out NextDoor... that is a new one to me....

Old 11-15-2017, 04:34 PM

85 posts, read 176,949 times
I have used Craigslist many times. A lot of contractors seem to be transient and despite the way Growth Management extols the virtues of licensing, many are liars, cheats and thieves. Towards that end, I now look at them on several sites, sheriffs Dept and Collier County Court.
I will not hire/employ a worker or company that has "issues". For instance, I used PureAir several years ago but since Michael Crothers (the owner) has his own space on the Sheriifs website
Collier County Arrests I would not use him ever again.
Another item is language, I speak fluent Spanish. However, in the USA, I think everyone should speak English. Because of that, Kelly Roofing is off the list. True, their usual four man crew has one person that can speak English. But if they are legal, they should be doing their best to speak English.
A person doing storm clean up was Cra Cra Tree Expert, owned by Lemuel Burkes and Heather Kassha.
https://www.rapsheets.org/florida/do..._LEMUEL/N26657
https://florida.arrests.org/Arrests/...assha_8704383/
All this reminds me of a story. Last week I was talking to a new transplant here from Denver. He was talking about the price of groceries and produce in Publix and Winn Dixie. I told him I treated those stores as convenience places only. I took him and his wife to Oakes Farms on Davis. They were blown away with the better quality and less expensive prices. Strange thing they both said to me. They both commented that everyone in Oakes Farms seem to enjoy their job and they spoke English.

Old 11-16-2017, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldkiss View Post
I have used Craigslist many times. A lot of contractors seem to be transient and despite the way Growth Management extols the virtues of licensing, many are liars, cheats and thieves. Towards that end, I now look at them on several sites, sheriffs Dept and Collier County Court.
I will not hire/employ a worker or company that has "issues". For instance, I used PureAir several years ago but since Michael Crothers (the owner) has his own space on the Sheriifs website
Collier County Arrests I would not use him ever again.
Another item is language, I speak fluent Spanish. However, in the USA, I think everyone should speak English. Because of that, Kelly Roofing is off the list. True, their usual four man crew has one person that can speak English. But if they are legal, they should be doing their best to speak English.
A person doing storm clean up was Cra Cra Tree Expert, owned by Lemuel Burkes and Heather Kassha.
https://www.rapsheets.org/florida/do..._LEMUEL/N26657
https://florida.arrests.org/Arrests/...assha_8704383/
All this reminds me of a story. Last week I was talking to a new transplant here from Denver. He was talking about the price of groceries and produce in Publix and Winn Dixie. I told him I treated those stores as convenience places only. I took him and his wife to Oakes Farms on Davis. They were blown away with the better quality and less expensive prices. Strange thing they both said to me. They both commented that everyone in Oakes Farms seem to enjoy their job and they spoke English.
While I encourage people doing a lot of due diligence on vendors it seems as though you have an axe to grind...

Old 11-16-2017, 08:52 AM

85 posts, read 176,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
While I encourage people doing a lot of due diligence on vendors it seems as though you have an axe to grind...
Wow, I simply require integrity from people I do business with and that offends you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples