Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2017, 04:26 AM

788 posts, read 783,508 times

Advertisements

And don't forget tree and large branches the fall and crush the top brails or down a section of fence . . What are wanting a fence for . Control your dogs ?? If so build them a good sized fence in run or are thinking it will keep others out?

Worldkiss , Funny and wise reply . But having a buddy with kennels . Some dogs will climb over a fence too , like beagles !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2017, 07:05 AM

18,429 posts, read 8,258,982 times
What to do?....I'm mainly concerned about bears and cougars..and neighbors dogs..but a fence is better than no fence.
I really don't want to get a dog....even though I know how good they are....I would be the one that jumped between the dog and the cat...to protect the dog!
I'm a yard person...I don't want to have to be looking over my shoulder every few seconds...

Old 12-17-2017, 07:10 AM

192 posts, read 178,616 times
Install your chain link fence and the augment it with an electric fencer. It will keep all animals away from the fence. One zap and they learn. Doesn't hurt them https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/ca...ectric-fencing

Naplesfan

Old 12-17-2017, 08:38 AM

Thanks Naples....looks like that's the way I'm going to have to go...

Old 12-17-2017, 01:01 PM

1,394 posts, read 2,087,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
What to do?....I'm mainly concerned about bears and cougars..and neighbors dogs..but a fence is better than no fence.
I really don't want to get a dog....even though I know how good they are....I would be the one that jumped between the dog and the cat...to protect the dog!
I'm a yard person...I don't want to have to be looking over my shoulder every few seconds...

If that's all you're worried about, skip the fence. Seriously.

I've lived on 5 heavily wooded acres in the estates for close to 20 years. I have spent much of that time outside, day and night, and other one out of place water moccasin, have never once had an issue where I felt threatened by any wildlife. They really don't want anything to do with you. Leave them alone, or at least make your presence known, and they move on. They've never bothered our dogs either.

I've seen bears, bobcats, fox, raccoons, armadillos, squirrels, owls, hawks, buzzards, rabbits, snakes, lizards, opossum and deer in my yard over the years, but no skunk apes or squallies . We've been seeing more wildlife recently, as "progress" is destroying much of their natural habitat around us to build more housing developments. We'd never seen deer here until about 3-4 years ago, now we have a herd of 8-10 we see almost every day.

The biggest PITA is picking up trash when the bears or raccoons get into the pails, which happens about once or twice per year.

My kids have camped out in the yard numerous times, we've played hide and seek at night etc.

Save the cash you'd spend on a fence and buy a new car or something.

Old 12-17-2017, 01:08 PM

110 posts, read 128,881 times
I actually like fences if they are well done and look good. They may not keep out all wildlife but they are good for dogs, neighbors, and peace of mind.

Old 12-17-2017, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Thanks Kram, I have no earthly idea. There's probably someone of this forum that has either had it done....or knows of someone that has. Lots in GGE are all about the same...either a little over 1 acre...or a little over 2..and all the same shape
I just need a ball park idea.....would it be about $3000?....or $50,000??

There are some variations, but the vast majority of the 1.14 acre lots are 75W'x660'D, 2.25 acre lots are 150'x660', the 2.5 acre lots are 165'x660, 2.75 acre 185'x660', 5 acres like mine are 330'x660'.

They are colloquially referred to as "band aid' lots, for obvious reasons.

The depth is measured from the middle of the road to the middle of the right of way in back. GGE was originally platted to have more streets. This is why they skip a street number and go from 1st to 3rd to 5th etc.. Originally, there was supposed to be a 2nd, 4th, 6th etc in there. That ROW runs between your lot and the one behind it. There used to be ridiculous restrictions on how close you could build to the ROWs, like a few hundred feet, but they did away with them years ago. Our pool deck is roughly 300feet from the middle of the ROW, and when we built it, we were fairly close to the edge of where we could build legally. This was a leftover rule from when my lot was planned to be 330' deep, and another lot was supposed to be behind mine, on the street that doesn't currently exist.

Some of the lots were divided differently, like Worldkiss', which was likely 1/3 of a roughly 10 acre lot that was originally 330'x990' and was divided into 3, 3ish acre square lots. There aren't too many of these around. We almost bought one of these lots off Logan about 25 years ago before they renamed that part of GGE "Logan Woods" and they were still numbered streets. I regret not doing so, FWIW.

Old 12-17-2017, 04:51 PM

Tri, thank YOU millions! especially for the lot measurements..

I'm still thinking and considering what we should do. Probably just fence in the front half of the property and let the back half go....I've yet to figure out something to do..other than clean and cut grass...way back there anyway.

I'm totally deaf...so I can't hear an animal give me a warning. Cougars and bears have a healthy and safe environment, so their populations are growing. They don't have GPS, so they don't know they have thousands of miles to the north where they could go, they just wander and hope for the best. Someone was saying just the other day a cougar was in their backyard and wasn't afraid of them at all. They tried to run it off and it wouldn't go. People have livestock, chickens, etc They are getting used to people...it's just a matter of time until someone gets into trouble.

I know a fence won't keep them out, but it might make them stop and think about it. I want to have a greenhouse and possibly a aviary for birds....that I will need elec fence for sure.

Our house has to sell first, and then we move to Naples....I'm thinking and planning, and mulling over in my head what to do...at our age this will need to be the last move.

BTW..we have had a crocodile living under our dock for several years..his name's Greg. I'm not in his territory. He's in mine! His territory got too crowded so he wandered down here.

Old 12-17-2017, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kram71 View Post
I actually like fences if they are well done and look good. They may not keep out all wildlife but they are good for dogs, neighbors, and peace of mind.
I'm leaning in that direction too Kram....

Old 12-17-2017, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Tri, thank YOU millions! especially for the lot measurements..
No worries.... I'm surprised they don't list the lot dimensions any more. When we were looking, most ads would list them.

Quote:
I'm still thinking and considering what we should do. Probably just fence in the front half of the property and let the back half go....I've yet to figure out something to do..other than clean and cut grass...way back there anyway.
Yeah, unless you're thinking of lots of outside live stock, there's no reason to fence the entire property. My friend had 2.5 acres years ago, and only had a fence around the house and part of the backyard to keep his dogs in. Maybe 100x150.

Quote:
I'm totally deaf...so I can't hear an animal give me a warning. Cougars and bears have a healthy and safe environment, so their populations are growing. They don't have GPS, so they don't know they have thousands of miles to the north where they could go, they just wander and hope for the best. Someone was saying just the other day a cougar was in their backyard and wasn't afraid of them at all. They tried to run it off and it wouldn't go. People have livestock, chickens, etc They are getting used to people...it's just a matter of time until someone gets into trouble.
Honestly, I am not the slightest bit worried about getting attacked by a panther etc. My biggest worry, and I don't sweat it too much, are rattlesnakes (never seen one on my property) and water moccasins (seen one in 20 years) and a chain link fence isn't gonna keep them out.

The only time we've considered a fence out here is to keep the dogs in, and ultimately, ended up not doing it.

The predators are, however, a threat to any kind of livestock that lives outside. My neighbor used to raise chickens, and he tried everything to keep the raccoons and foxes out of their coop, but finally gave up. I can't remember how many chickens he told me he started with, but I remember being shocked that they got killed off so quickly.

Quote:
I know a fence won't keep them out, but it might make them stop and think about it. I want to have a greenhouse and possibly a aviary for birds....that I will need elec fence for sure.
It won't keep them out, but an electrified fence or aviary would help of you go that route.

Quote:
Our house has to sell first, and then we move to Naples....I'm thinking and planning, and mulling over in my head what to do...at our age this will need to be the last move.
Understood.

Quote:
BTW..we have had a crocodile living under our dock for several years..his name's Greg. I'm not in his territory. He's in mine! His territory got too crowded so he wandered down here.
Very cool!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
View detailed profiles of: