Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2018, 11:57 AM

1,394 posts, read 2,070,108 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashes1 View Post
I always break up the branches into small pieces and put them around a wooded area. Perfect natural mulch. I would never dream of burning or putting them in the trash.
Yup. I do this most of the time. If I have a LOT of it, like post Irma, it'll go out to the road, but otherwise it gets distributed around my 5 acres. Some of it gets used for firewood when camping too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2018, 06:50 PM

80 posts, read 110,293 times
Do people do compost piles or bins in Florida? It's common up north, but I don't hear people talk much about composting in Florida.

Maybe most lots are too small???? Or attracts vermin????

Old 02-27-2018, 06:37 AM

85 posts, read 175,856 times
I know very few that compost, me being one of them. I do it because I believe in recycling, good for the environment, improves and gives body to the soil, and it's good exercise feeding the 8HP chipper for larger items. The too large items go to the street for pickup. Waste Management mulches the large stuff and is available to the public.
I saw a rat on my property a few years ago so I set a trap and had him the next day so the compost pile doesn't seem to attract them.

Old 02-27-2018, 07:45 AM

787 posts, read 771,539 times
People do compost down there but there not the typical people you find on a forum like this and there area a number of florida/ gardening related forums to help . If you gardening in sw fl and aren't lucky enough to have some low land area to dig the rich dark soil out of the only way to improve that ole sandy solid is to add some kind of compost to it . Short of having a couple dump truck loads of devils garden top soil brought in if that can still be done to impost your sandy land compost is the next best choice short of chemical enhancement !! Might as well be natural and made at home and deduces garbage .

Stay up with small yard waist and a small easy to start 6.5hp gas chipper or electric chipper can keep up with leafs and smaller branches . Make a pile for some to come in to chip up the larger material or for a fire pit to use at night during the cooler evenings .

Old 02-27-2018, 12:26 PM

331 posts, read 447,645 times
Okay. To answer the question, yes the county does pick yard waste in GGE. Bundle it or place in garbage bags and they'll pick it up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
View detailed profiles of: