Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2018, 07:00 AM

18,425 posts, read 8,256,472 times

Advertisements

This site says there's over 300 houses for sale in GGE....

https://www.realtyofnaples.com/searc...=Naples&pclass[]=1&community_id=787
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2018, 12:38 PM

25,682 posts, read 12,765,268 times
We looked at Naples in 2017, and felt the prices were too high as compared to Sarasota. We saved $150,000 for same size/type new home in Sarasota County versus Collier. True, we're paying ~$3k/year more in property taxes here, but it would take ~50 years for us to see a net savings. I don't think I'll live to 108. Plus, we got closer to the beach, and less traffic congestion.

I think we're on the back side of the Baby Boom generation so less buyers now for what Naples is selling. Price is a minor factor for most highly affluent buyers, but demographics is a major factor in my opinion. We're not top 1%'ers (yet), so price/value played a bigger role in our decision.

We still love the Naples area, so we'll just do 2-3 day trips down there a few times a year. In fact, we're coming down soon, which is why I'm on your forum today.

Old 07-26-2018, 04:46 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,229,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
We looked at Naples in 2017, and felt the prices were too high as compared to Sarasota. We saved $150,000 for same size/type new home in Sarasota County versus Collier. True, we're paying ~$3k/year more in property taxes here, but it would take ~50 years for us to see a net savings. I don't think I'll live to 108. Plus, we got closer to the beach, and less traffic congestion.

I think we're on the back side of the Baby Boom generation so less buyers now for what Naples is selling. Price is a minor factor for most highly affluent buyers, but demographics is a major factor in my opinion. We're not top 1%'ers (yet), so price/value played a bigger role in our decision.

We still love the Naples area, so we'll just do 2-3 day trips down there a few times a year. In fact, we're coming down soon, which is why I'm on your forum today.
If you don’t have kids or work it’s a reasonable choice. Collier schools are ranked higher though.

Old 07-27-2018, 07:33 AM

Our Son is off to College, and I can work anywhere that has Internet & cell phone coverage.

If our Son was younger, he'd have attended Pine View School here in nearby Osprey (also in Sarasota County) which is #1 ranked in Florida, and 6th in the USA.

When we lived in the Northern Atlanta Metro area, his schools were ranked 10-9-10 in a State not known for education. We found the very best public schools, and moved right next door to them.

Old 07-27-2018, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Our Son is off to College, and I can work anywhere that has Internet & cell phone coverage.

If our Son was younger, he'd have attended Pine View School here in nearby Osprey (also in Sarasota County) which is #1 ranked in Florida, and 6th in the USA.

When we lived in the Northern Atlanta Metro area, his schools were ranked 10-9-10 in a State not known for education. We found the very best public schools, and moved right next door to them.
If your son is gifted (proven IQ > 130 plus test scores) then Pine View is a great choice for sure. BTW it’s #19 in the US in 2018.

Old 07-28-2018, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
If your son is gifted (proven IQ > 130 plus test scores) then Pine View is a great choice for sure. BTW it’s #19 in the US in 2018.
Yup...130...no issue. Problem was he was always getting in trouble...for not showing any of his work on his math tests. We'd get called in for conferences each year because they thought he was cheating. In reality, he was doing the problems in his head. He didn't get that from me...I was cheating!

The reason its fallen to #19 out of 400,000 nationwide is because the politically connected are getting their kids in even though they dont meet the requirements. Gifted families are getting very teed off aobut it and some are pulling thier kids out I'm told.

What is the highest ranked public school in Naples?

Old 07-28-2018, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Yup...130...no issue. Problem was he was always getting in trouble...for not showing any of his work on his math tests. We'd get called in for conferences each year because they thought he was cheating. In reality, he was doing the problems in his head. He didn't get that from me...I was cheating!

The reason its fallen to #19 out of 400,000 nationwide is because the politically connected are getting their kids in even though they dont meet the requirements. Gifted families are getting very teed off aobut it and some are pulling thier kids out I'm told.

What is the highest ranked public school in Naples?
You realize 130 is 2 SD above the mean, so the requirement is really to be in the top 2% of the population. It’s pretty rarified air for a public school.

There aren’t any gifted schools in Collier County, although there are gifted programs within them. As a result they wouldn’t rank as high nationally. The two that always seem well regarded are Barron Collier or Gulf Coast. But in Naples many send their high achieving kids to private school like the Community School.

Old 08-18-2018, 07:02 AM

2,128 posts, read 2,353,140 times
New construction is selling, re-sales are selling slowly because of unrealistic sellers

sellers don't want to stage their homes

lots of part-time realtors not working full-time to sell their clients homes

the $200k-$300k market still flies off the market in collier county

North Naples is pretty hot (under $600k) because of schools, 2nd homes, etc.

Luxury market came back strong after the new tax bill which hurt north easterners and now they're looking to 'homestead' in Florida.

if you have a clean turn key home that is priced well and you use a big company like Coldwell Banker to market it, the home will sell within 60 days.

Old 08-18-2018, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Middleton View Post
New construction is selling, re-sales are selling slowly because of unrealistic sellers

sellers don't want to stage their homes

lots of part-time realtors not working full-time to sell their clients homes

the $200k-$300k market still flies off the market in collier county

North Naples is pretty hot (under $600k) because of schools, 2nd homes, etc.

Luxury market came back strong after the new tax bill which hurt north easterners and now they're looking to 'homestead' in Florida.

if you have a clean turn key home that is priced well and you use a big company like Coldwell Banker to market it, the home will sell within 60 days.
This is a fairly accurate statement in my recent experience.

However, I also put blame on realtors for not providing guidance to sellers that they should stage. And for providing unreasonable selling prices. I was given a market analysis price of $x as a recommended selling price, and had to lower 10% below that. And I asked about staging early and was told “oh, that’s not needed”.

And these statements were from a full time agent with a good track record at a big agency. Ultimately I had to push to drop the price and stage it and then it sold quickly.

Many haven’t had to work that hard over the past 5 years and are starting to realize that the resale market is tightening.

Old 08-18-2018, 09:59 AM

18,425 posts, read 8,256,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
. And for providing unreasonable selling prices. .
I see a lot of pre-owned houses....that are not completely updated....priced like new houses
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples