Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2018, 07:01 AM

18,456 posts, read 8,282,661 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
You've never substantiated this claim. .
...all you have to do is put......1878 Florida red tide....into google search

http://crca.caloosahatchee.org/crca_...e_Timeline.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2018, 07:14 AM

789 posts, read 785,549 times
Swanlinbar Red tide and green algae blooms have been a problem for as long as I remember down there going back 50 years .. But it is getting worse thanks to each of use that live or lived at least south . Better read up on the algae blooms along the east coast waters too before moving there .

The green algae bloom is caused by nitrates from cattle along with man made pollutant's and run offs in general washed south thanks to the kissimmee river basin , add rain to limit the oxygen in the water and fish die to add to the mix of odors in general along with summer heat and the Big O turns into a large green algae bloom and then gets flushed south threw the everglades more or less ! and both east and west in canals that exit into salt water for its own version of green red tide algae bloom . Add in the run off from homes pretty green lawns , roads and golf course in each coastal county and you have a problems with little chance of any short term improvements . Red tide all on its own is a naturally found all over the world even well out in an ocean with many variations to the side effects and causes but high temps and water salinity well cause it but the polluted water run from your lawns and golf course to road ways and neighborhood street after normal showers during hot summer can cause red tide all on its own .

Not sure South Fl is a good investment to retirement to under good conditions any more . But if florida is your only choice you might want to look at north east corner like Nassau County or in to the pan handle areas of from Panama City to St Marks area - Gulf , Franklin , Wakulla counties . I retired to western NC mountains . Ha

I miss certain aspects of live in collier county from the past but not enough to matter today .

https://www.news4jax.com/weather/env...s-along-coasts

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/loc...e88302462.html

Old 08-10-2018, 08:24 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,252,791 times
Anyone thinking a retirement property is a "good investment" is in trouble these days.

With all the building going on in Naples it's actually cheaper and easier to buy new. Resales are taking a huge hit in many developments. The only exception might be in a desirable golf course - as long as fees and memberships are still doing well.

Old 08-10-2018, 08:03 PM

331 posts, read 453,223 times
Any property used for retirement is almost always a poor investment. I've seen too many friends that considered their retirement property a good investment to give to their off springs. They're normal not prepared too take over the property financially and gambling on a retirement property, more then the current market factors in specially when in falls into someone else's hands.

With less people interested in golf, and we are currently through half the baby boomers retiring, in ten years it's hard to forecast where the market would be. Personally. I don't see it being that great.

Old 08-11-2018, 02:24 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,252,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ron e wheels View Post
Any property used for retirement is almost always a poor investment. I've seen too many friends that considered their retirement property a good investment to give to their off springs. They're normal not prepared too take over the property financially and gambling on a retirement property, more then the current market factors in specially when in falls into someone else's hands.

With less people interested in golf, and we are currently through half the baby boomers retiring, in ten years it's hard to forecast where the market would be. Personally. I don't see it being that great.
I just sold and it was a somewhat lengthy and painful process. One piece of advice to pass on to everyone - in Naples staging a home is pretty much a requirement. It’s expensive, but buyers don’t seem to have any imagination and need to be spoon fed.

Old 08-11-2018, 04:37 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,443,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
...all you have to do is put......1878 Florida red tide....into google search

http://crca.caloosahatchee.org/crca_...e_Timeline.pdf
See post 142 in this thread as to the worthlessness of this link.

//www.city-data.com/forum/flori...trophe-15.html

The subsequent posts in the above thread are a very worthwhile read as to the causes of the red tide and the prospects for future red tide blooms.

Old 08-12-2018, 08:53 AM

18,456 posts, read 8,282,661 times
NOAA agrees with me, not you....and not with the magazine articles you're also posting

http://sunburn.aoml.noaa.gov/general...es/cedar42.pdf

There were much worse red tides, that lasted much longer, over 100 years ago..and red tides have been consistent ever since....when people and global warming could not have had anything to do with it...documentation of red tides goes back to the first Spanish explorers and before them to the native indians

WR, you following me around trying desperately to make your point...I won't be replying to any more of your posts....I'm done with it

Last edited by Corrie22; 08-12-2018 at 09:24 AM..

Old 08-12-2018, 09:50 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,443,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
NOAA agrees with me, not you....and not with the magazine articles you're also posting

There were much worse red tides, that lasted much longer, over 100 years ago..and red tides have been consistent ever since....when people and global warming could not have had anything to do with it...documentation of red tides goes back to the first Spanish explorers and before them to the native indians

WR, you following me around trying desperately to make your point...I won't be replying to any more of your posts....I'm done with it
From the 1955 article in the above link:

<<It must be mentioned, however, that since the individuals who have observed the Red Tide from 1844 to the present time, have not, for the most part, been trained scientists, or individuals who live sufficiently close to the sea to know all its aspects, it is probable that some of the occurrences noted in this report were not necessarily Red Tide. For example, shrimp boats are known to finish sorting the shrimp from the fish in their catch on their way to home port and to dump the trash fish overboard. Thus it may be that some of the "dead fish" reports along the west coast are not distinguishable from mortalities due to Red Tide. Also, some of the occurrences may have been reported by individuals who did not personally see the phenomenon. One must be careful, therefore, to weigh gingerly the implications of the various reports.>>

And the 19th century historical record on pages 8 forward does NOT include scientific studies and, with large gaps in the timeline and no documentation as to the extent of the red tide on any given date, there is NO way to gauge the continuity of the plague or its extent, or to compare 19th century ANECDOTAL reports with contemporary red tide analyses empirically documented by scientists with modern technology.

And you want to give preference to that anecdotal record over modern scientific research? Ridiculous. There's absolutely nothing in the material you linked that justifies your conclusion that the red tides in the 19th century were worse or longer than modern, scientifically studied red tides. NOTHING!

Your desperation to deny any link to climate change remains pathetic, especially when you claim it supersedes contemporary scientific research as reported in contemporary articles.

Old 08-12-2018, 10:57 AM

731 posts, read 768,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
I just sold and it was a somewhat lengthy and painful process. One piece of advice to pass on to everyone - in Naples staging a home is pretty much a requirement. It’s expensive, but buyers don’t seem to have any imagination and need to be spoon fed.

Are you leaving Naples? I am also a former Long Islander and was wondering if you were going back.

Old 08-12-2018, 12:57 PM

1,333 posts, read 2,201,891 times
You know if you want to spend mid six figures to 7 or 8 figures on an oceanfront condo or home, why buy in an area probe to red tide when you have the entire east coast of florida to pick from?

I can definitely see people questioning whether to spend that kind of money on naples when vero beach or jupiter inlet or palm beach is competing with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples