Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2018, 05:38 PM

18,439 posts, read 8,268,923 times

Advertisements

Wanted to share this book with you guys....it's one of the best books I've found on old Florida.
It's a collection of articles about travelling, fishing, hunting, farming, etc in Florida from the late 1800's to early 1900's.... a lot of stories about the 10,000 islands, Marco, Chokoloskee

You can find used on Amazon for less than $5...I highly recommend getting it

Tales of Old Florida
by Frank Oppel, Tony Meisel

>it's a big book, almost 500 pages...and small print...you get your monies worth!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2018, 05:58 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,419,564 times
The Swamp by Michael Grunwald ( really tear jerking, what we’ve lost) and A Land Remembered by Patrick D Smith. Fiction but pretty accurate from what I understand.

Can’t wait to check out your suggestion, Corrie.

Old 12-28-2018, 06:43 PM

1,394 posts, read 2,089,627 times
I've got a bunch of them, but not the one Corrie mentioned, so I just ordered it on Amazon.......

In addition to A Land Remembered and The Swamp, these are some of the better ones I've read. Many of them are local SWFL stuff. I've got some of them on Kindle, a few are available new, and some are only available used via Amazon and other places.

I agree that The Swamp is truly a sad book, mainly because instead of fixing the myriad of problems created by draining and developing areas that shouldn't be, we're still exacerbating them by continuing to do just that.

In no particular order:

Oh Florida!: How America's weirdest state influences the rest of the country. Craig Pittman

Florida's Last Frontier Carlton Tebeau

Last Train to Paradise Les Standiford

The Caxambas Kid Maria Stone

What Happened to Ochopee? Jeff Whichello

Totch: A Life in the Everglades Loren "Totch" Brown

Expose: Florida's Billion Dollar Land Fraud Vince Conboy

Selling the Dream David Dodrill

Lies That Came True Eileen Bernard

Florida History From the Highways Douglas Waitley

Hidden History of Everglades City & Points Nearby Maureen Sullivan Hartung

Dreamers, Schemers and Scalliwags Stuart McIver

Exiles in Eden: Life Among the Ruins of Florida's Great Recession Paul Reyes

The East Side of the River Jessie Allen

Land of Sunshine, State of Dreams: A Social History of Modern Florida Gary Mormino

The Everglades: River of Grass Marjory Stoneman/Robert Fink

Some Kind of Paradise Mark Derr

That should get you started!

Last edited by Tripower455; 12-28-2018 at 07:06 PM..

Old 12-28-2018, 07:03 PM

18,439 posts, read 8,268,923 times
You guys are excellent!!!!!!!!!!! oh my gosh, thank you!

Tales of Old Florida was a huge eye opener for me....I didn't know Marco had a grocery store and a complete marina/boat repair...in the 1800's
...heck, I didn't even know boats had gasoline engines then either..or that South West Florida was a major tourist destination for tarpon fishing

One of my favorites..some guys were at the 10,000 islands..captured a manatee..wanted to take it alive to the NY Aquarium..realized they didn't have a permit to catch a manatee (a manatee
permit in the 1800's ??)...had to go all the way around to Miami, get a manatee permit, and go back....then build a big tank to hold water to move the manatee..and somehow ship it to NY
Can you imagine even trying that today?

Last edited by Corrie22; 12-28-2018 at 07:29 PM..

Old 12-29-2018, 06:14 AM

149 posts, read 104,252 times
How about "Brutal Journey: Cabeza de Vaca and the Epic First Crossing of North America" by Paul Schnider? The Spanish were wandering around FL in the early 1600s.

Old 12-29-2018, 09:04 AM

192 posts, read 178,773 times
The Barefoot Mailman and The diary of Hernando Fonteneda are good reads,

Naplesfan.

Old 12-29-2018, 09:08 AM

192 posts, read 178,773 times
The Barefoot Mailman and The Diary of Hernando Fonteneda are good reads.

Naplesfan

Old 01-04-2019, 07:42 PM

1,599 posts, read 1,430,572 times
On a big tangent, I remember reading this book during the Cuban Missle crises. Little did I know I would live across the USA and eventually settle down for good in Florida.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alas,_Babylon

Old 01-04-2019, 08:35 PM

1,394 posts, read 2,089,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireStation46 View Post
On a big tangent, I remember reading this book during the Cuban Missle crises. Little did I know I would live across the USA and eventually settle down for good in Florida.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alas,_Babylon
Too funny! We are seriously considering moving to the Mt. Dora area, which is where Ft. Repose is supposed represent. Great book! I need to re read it.

Old 01-05-2019, 09:10 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,241,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripower455 View Post
Too funny! We are seriously considering moving to the Mt. Dora area, which is where Ft. Repose is supposed represent. Great book! I need to re read it.
That would make a MCO commute a lot less painful...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples