Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2019, 02:49 PM

5 posts, read 8,678 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are getting close to purchasing a second home in Naples. We've narrowed it down to two potential properties. One property is a 1900 square foot ranch home, and the second contender is a two story home with 2600 square feet. Both homes have a pool and a spa. What's your best guess on how much more it will cost to cool the 2 story versus the ranch home? Also - I was hoping that someone could pass along input on what can we expect as an increase in our electric bills to have that pool pump running, as well as heating the spa. We realize this is asking a loaded question, and that the insulation and age of the A/C unit can make a world of difference, but I wanted to see what you thought. Thanks in advance for your thoughts!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2019, 04:05 PM

192 posts, read 179,369 times
3 hp pool motor uses 3.17 kw/hr times 8 hours per day = 25.36kw hrs per day at aprox $.12 per kw hour

Home air conditioning depends on the R factors square footage etc.of the house. You can look up the air conditioner power usage and apply the above formula. Many people here use a humidistat to control their air instead of a thermostat.
If you have a pool heater installed get a heat pump,

Naplesfan

Old 03-27-2019, 05:09 PM

1,599 posts, read 1,435,381 times
“Heat rises; cold air drops. As a result, your upstairs will run hot, your downstairs cold, and you'll have to adjust your heating and AC accordingly. In fact, some experts say that a two-story home may have double the heating and cooling costs of a single-story home of the same square footage”

https://www.realtor.com/advice/buy/o...ich-is-better/

You are more exposed during high winds/hurricanes as wind speed increases with height

Good luck with you choice

Old 03-27-2019, 05:54 PM

Thanks.....love the idea of "room for guests and family", but we're fearful of the added costs...

Old 03-28-2019, 04:19 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,274,754 times
So much depends on the age/type of the pool pump and the AC system.

I had a variable speed pool pump and I was able to get the pump down to around 900 watts through the control panel (top was around 2500!) so figure 8-9 cents an hour x 6-8 hours a day. But an older single speed unit will burn a lot more. I would figure $30-50 a month depending on the number of hours run and the model.

Heating the spa is on top of that, and again depends on the method. A heat pump will likely be the most efficient. Gas will be more expensive, electric the worst.

I had 2 AC units that were also variable speed compressor/air handler and 18 SEER. If you have older 13 or less SEER single stage you will again burn a lot more.

When my 2900 single level home was on the market, keeping the ACs at 78 and powering an electric HW heater, fridge, wine fridge and outdoor fridge plus the pool pump my electric was probably $75 a month all in, in the summer.

Old 03-28-2019, 08:08 AM

92 posts, read 101,916 times
I'm in a new ranch home in GGE. Approx 2000 sf. My electric bill is about 100 per month on avg since Nov 1st of 2018. I run lots of wifi gadgets, camera's, computers, etc. and leave the a/c at around 76-77. Its just me and the missus. It's been as low as $83 and as high as $115

We did just have a pool and spa completed and its been about a week, so not sure what added cost that will be yet.

Also don't forget to factor in extra costs like pool cleaning, maintenance, home watch service (if you wont be down here all the time) or exterminators,lawn service if not HOA.
Of course a lot of it you can do yourself, but hard to do if your part time only.

Old 03-28-2019, 08:39 AM

390 posts, read 398,567 times
I agree with the previous posters. With regard to the 2-story homes, I've noticed that most 2-story homes built around here are concrete block for the first level only. I'm assuming they must add some extra insulation upstairs but in addition to the heat naturally rising, you also don't have the benefit of block construction on that second floor to provide insulation. It seems that most new 2-story homes are being built with separate A/C units. One for each floor.

We replaced our home's original pool pump with a new variable speed one after the original one died and noticed an immediate decrease in our energy bills. We also have a higher SEER Trane unit and that makes a huge difference. We don't have a spa and we solar rooftop panels for heating the pool so do not have any added costs in relation to actually heating the pool.

If you're still on the fence about which property, you could always have your agent ask the seller's agent of each property for more information on what the current owners pay. I say that fully understanding that not everyone uses their property in the same way, but it could help give you a better idea of what you're in for.

Old 03-28-2019, 10:00 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,274,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLKitties View Post
I agree with the previous posters. With regard to the 2-story homes, I've noticed that most 2-story homes built around here are concrete block for the first level only. I'm assuming they must add some extra insulation upstairs but in addition to the heat naturally rising, you also don't have the benefit of block construction on that second floor to provide insulation. It seems that most new 2-story homes are being built with separate A/C units. One for each floor.

We replaced our home's original pool pump with a new variable speed one after the original one died and noticed an immediate decrease in our energy bills. We also have a higher SEER Trane unit and that makes a huge difference. We don't have a spa and we solar rooftop panels for heating the pool so do not have any added costs in relation to actually heating the pool.

If you're still on the fence about which property, you could always have your agent ask the seller's agent of each property for more information on what the current owners pay. I say that fully understanding that not everyone uses their property in the same way, but it could help give you a better idea of what you're in for.
I had 2 Trane XV18 units. While expensive, they provided amazing comfort and after Irma I was able to run the entire house (including the AC units) from a large portable generator. Only thing I couldn't do was to run both the pool pump and the hot water heater at the same time (and obviously the oven or electric cooktop.)

Pool heating is really only needed in the coldest months, and I didn't find it egregiously expensive to run via a heat pump. My pool had the water entering the spa, flowing down a waterfall into the main pool, and a closed loop when running the spa so the heated water stayed there. I found that the water heated to 100+ degrees in a few minutes, at which time the heater would kick off.

Old 03-28-2019, 04:21 PM

Thanks everyone....great input, I appreciate it.

Old 03-28-2019, 05:20 PM

1,599 posts, read 1,435,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLKitties View Post

Yes, frame above block can be a bigger concern when a hurricane or straight wind event rolls in. Folks may need the 2-story but just know the risks.

Been thru a few home sales over the years, getting the utility bill history has always been part if the deal before inking the deal. You are spot on, The buyers could be using less or more but if you get it for a few months and you can at least ballpark what your bill may come in at.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
View detailed profiles of: